Relationships and tattoos

gougetheeyes

I do sometimes wonder, since tattoos are a big part of my life, whether I'd be better off with a tattooed love interest, but I can always talk to him about my plans to get more and he gets just as excited as I do so I guess in the end it doesn't matter.

I suppose it's a less common combination (tattooed woman, non-tattooed man) but I wouldn't say it was all too rare.

I had this thought too not too long ago. It is unfortunate that my tattoos are a big part of my life and I'm heavy into the whole subculture, and we can't share that together (we do to some extent). However, since he digs them, doesn't really matter. And I think he's enjoying learning more about different styles and images.

It still would be cool to have tattoo adventures together. I'd love to have some one I could travel with and get all psyched about the trip with. I feel bad, but some times I feel weird bringing him into shops with me. I mean he's not a big fan anyway of being dragged along, but there isn't much for him to do and he always feels awkward :(

My wife doesn't have any tattoos...well, one of some Japanese lettering that many people got in the 90's, nothing visible or anything like me. She's mad supportive of my obsession with them. She compliments them & likes it when I incorporate my children in them. She's not a fan of skulls she's told me, but wouldn't be opposed to me getting any. We work in totally different fields though, her an accountant, me an artist.

I feel bad, but some times I feel weird bringing him into shops with me. I mean he's not a big fan anyway of being dragged along, but there isn't much for him to do and he always feels awkward :(

Interesting, I've never brought anyone to a shop with me (be they a partner, friend or anyone else). I agree it'd be kind of nice to have someone to make trips to see guesting artists etc. with, though.

I was the one in a relationship who didn't have any tattoos. I was a lot younger than my boyfriend and he had them all over. When he took me to the guy who did his tattoos to get my first, I was so intimidated and felt like I wasn't his type. But when I got my first tattoo, they were all like "Welcome to the club!" haha. After that I definitely felt like I fit more with my boyfriend.

Interesting, I've never brought anyone to a shop with me (be they a partner, friend or anyone else). I agree it'd be kind of nice to have someone to make trips to see guesting artists etc. with, though.

I never take any one on the day of getting the tattoo, but since I have to travel into NYC from NJ he usually takes the train in with me then meets up with people, but if he had tattoos or was interested in getting them we could probably just go together.

Why can't he get his forearms done? If he's working a conservative job, most likely he won't expose them anyway. I've never seen a lawyer wearing a tshirt... I think only the hands would be an issue. I also find I just can't wear white or you can see my tattoos through the shirt.

I work in an office myself and really nobody knows I'm inked at all. I also have to be careful with light shirts. I have to be aware of reaching so my cuffs don't pull up too far.

Rob

Why can't he get his forearms done? If he's working a conservative job, most likely he won't expose them anyway. I've never seen a lawyer wearing a tshirt... I think only the hands would be an issue. I also find I just can't wear white or you can see my tattoos through the shirt.

He's not currently a practicing lawyer, but does work in the general legal field. His current job has a pretty casual dress code, since all the work is done by phone or computer (hell I've even tattooed one of his superiors!), but who knows what the future will hold? There's a good chance he will one day be working in much more conservative environments. It might sound silly, but not having the "freedom" to roll up one's sleeves to the elbows while working can be a pretty major factor. For many here that might seem like a small tradeoff, but that's the sort of thing a lot of people might not even think of. I worked a job once that made me cover my tattoos by wearing a long-sleeved shirt, and when they decided not to replace the broken A/C for the entire summer, it got downright miserable. In the "tattoos in the workplace" thread, there are a lot of people with the opinion of "well it shouldn't matter whether I have visible tattoos or not as long as I'm qualified" - and that is a valid view fore sure, but I've seen how hard it has been for him finding a job even with his qualifications. It is not easy out there in the white collar world, and doing anything to further reduce your "hireability" can be tough to justify. I imagine it will only be a matter of time though before he decides the tradeoff is worth it - so I look forward to the likelihood of his mother murdering me for tattooing his forearms ;) Until then he'll just have to live vicariously through me haha.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in a relationship for just over a year with a girl who didn't have any tattoos and definitely disapproved of me getting more. She wasn't vocal about it most of the time but would get upset whenever I said I was going to get a new one which was only twice while we were dating and after the appointments wouldn't even ask how it went or whether I liked how the piece turned out. She barely even looked at the new pieces in fact. She did come to a convention with me once but after about an hour of walking round on the first day she just sat down somewhere and did some sudoku. Needless to say she didn't come back on the second day of the show. Once she even came out and said that I loved tattoos more than her. Turns out she was right in the end.

I don't mind whether a girl has tattoos or not. In my opinion an attractive woman is attractive with or without them. I think what is important though is that either they have an interest themselves or at least can appreciate why I enjoy them so much and understand that I will keep getting more.

Getting my thigh done in two weeks time in fact!!! Woo hoo!!!

Ok Ill play .... mine is fairly interesting. My wife (of 10 years) has absolutely no tattoos, but she is the reason I have any idea what a nice tattoo looks like!

As I said in another thread, I come from a small town. The only tattooers within 100 miles were shitty scratchers, so that was all I knew. I was always attracted to the idea of tattoos, and as a kid I would draw on my arms and stuff, but man, when I saw these shitty tattoos on my friends I just couldnt hang. When I moved to Austin, I met a couple of tattooers but they did black and grey stuff that I wasnt into, so I got a little kanji thing on my back and that was it for a while.

Then I met my wife. She was good friends (grew up) with the Deep Ellum crowd in Dallas including some of the guys in punk bands and a couple of the dudes from Elm Street. Man, Holy Shit! These guys (and girls) were getting the most badass traditional tattoos ... totally covered. I couldnt believe how awesome this stuff looked. I mean, I had seen the flash sheets but no one in my hometown ever picked the cool stuff. And if they did, it was rendered very poorly. So, I asked those guys who I should see in Austin, and of course I have plenty of options. And then I started forming my own opinions and getting tattooed, slowly.

So yeah. My completely untattooed wife, in a round about way, taught me about good tattoos!

My husband has no tattoos and is not an "alternative" sort of person in any way..no piercings, no tattoos, no wild hair, nothing. He wears polo shirts every day:) He's an ex cop so definitely has the straight laced look. I love tattoos and will probably be fully covered one day (well, no hands/face/neck, unless I win the lottery and don't have to work). It's caused no friction between us, luckily. I tell him my ideas, he gives me input on what he thinks will look best. He is an artistic person so that helps. He'll brainstorm good tattoo ideas for me! But he's very supportive, luckily. It would be hard for me to be with a person who wasn't. He talks about maybe getting one eventually, but who knows. The good thing, I tell him, is if he wants a tattoo, I won't let him go small/cheap. He has mentioned getting a tattoo of a train, and I have the perfect train half sleeve mapped out for him in my mind :)

One thing I'll add, I think it helps we both have expensive hobbies. Me tattoos, and he does a lot of war gaming, and he paints that models that he uses, so the painting and tournaments he goes to can be expensive and eat up a lot of time. We both like guns, which is also expensive. But I think it helps, b/c he understands the importance of finding a good artist and spending what is needed to get great work. He never tries to get me to find a cheaper artist, b/c he gets it.

Me tattoos, and he does a lot of war gaming, and he paints that models that he uses, so the painting and tournaments he goes to can be expensive and eat up a lot of time. We both like guns, which is also expensive. But I think it helps, b/c he understands the importance of finding a good artist and spending what is needed to get great work. He never tries to get me to find a cheaper artist, b/c he gets it.

When they make a movie about you two, it will be called The Larper and the Tattooed Lady.

And @rileykill that rules!

- - - Updated - - -

Once she even came out and said that I loved tattoos more than her. Turns out she was right in the end.

Heard this one before!! Ex-girlfriends are exes for a reason. :D

One thing I'll add, I think it helps we both have expensive hobbies. Me tattoos, and he does a lot of war gaming, and he paints that models that he uses, so the painting and tournaments he goes to can be expensive and eat up a lot of time. We both like guns, which is also expensive. But I think it helps, b/c he understands the importance of finding a good artist and spending what is needed to get great work. He never tries to get me to find a cheaper artist, b/c he gets it.

I would think that money would be a huge issue with being in a relationship with somebody who didn't approve of tattoos because it's so expensive, especially when it involves travel. Awesome that he gets it though.

I wasn't tattooed when I met my fiancée, who also isn't tattooed. Since we have been together, I've gotten a half sleeve, torso tattoo, and chest piece. She's been supportive of most of it, but when I mention finishing up my sleeve or turning my other arm into a half sleeve, she isn't too big on the idea.

I've been with a few tattooed girls as well, prior to having any myself, and they were very snobbish about my desire to get tattooed. It almost seemed like they didn't want me in their secret club. :P

I think I prefer my girl without tattoos though, not really sure why.

I got a tattoo of a heart and dagger, with the name Debbie in it (pic is on my page). I was in the Marine Corps and she was my girl back home. Well a few years later I went back to see if they could tattoo "Bitch" over "Debbie'. they couldnt, so I had em black it out.

My advice is, think long and hard about tattooing someones name on you. Or design it in a way that you can go over it with something else and still have some nice art there.

Thesandmanisme, that is good advice I think. Though, I have recently gotten into the idea of having some sort of tattoo in relation to my husband. On my right ring finger. Either his initials, or our date of marriage, something like that. I never thought that was a good idea, but recently it's begun to grow on me. I like the idea, of when I"m old, having this old faded tattoo to look at, and remember when we were young. But yeah, it is risky, since I know damn well things can change. So I don't know if I'll ever do it, but boy do I want to!

Thesandmanisme, that is good advice I think. Though, I have recently gotten into the idea of having some sort of tattoo in relation to my husband. On my right ring finger. Either his initials, or our date of marriage, something like that. I never thought that was a good idea, but recently it's begun to grow on me. I like the idea, of when I"m old, having this old faded tattoo to look at, and remember when we were young. But yeah, it is risky, since I know damn well things can change. So I don't know if I'll ever do it, but boy do I want to!

When my wife and I got married I got tattooed on my ring finger Mr for mister and she got Mrs on her ring finger. I will always be a MR even if I am not married!

"The only woman's name you get tattooed on you is, mama!"

I think I prefer my girl without tattoos though, not really sure why.

I worry about this! I dont have many tattoos, problably never will have alot, but i dont want the few I have to be detrimental to being in a relationship with a man. Though it seems like alot of tattooed guys like having a non tattooed partner, and alot of men don't like tattoos on girls... Kinda bums me out. I already have a hard enough time just trying to meet someone, much less meeting someone and have them not like me for my tattoos. Almost 20 here and still never had a bf, so im afraid tattoos will make it harder for me. At the same time I won't stop getting them because of what men think. A catch 22.