222 Tattoo - stories, memories and pictures!

dari

222 Tattoo was a fabulous shop owned by the world renowned Eddy Deutsche. When Eddy decided to close the shop in 2000, it was a great loss to the tattoo community. An astounding amount of great work came out of that shop in a few short years. If you have stories and pictures of work to share from any of those great artists, please do!

And yes, Eddy's still tattooing, and you can find out more about him and contact him through his website if you'd like-

http://eddydeutsche.com/

I got tattooed by Scott at 222 in 1999 I believe, and it was probably the raddest tattoo experience I've had of yet. I was in my apprenticeship back then, and of course was super stoked just to be in there, and having such a good experience made me realize how important it is to give the person getting tattooed something to remember other than just the tattoo (which turned out awesome, of course). Getting tattooed should be a positive experience, and I'm pretty stoked that I got to experience 222 before it shut down.

i made an appt to get a rose and my moms signature in a banner by scott. he showed me the drawing and goes.... "i think its too big. what do you think"

i say..."whatever you think is best" he goes..."ok" now im the dude with the biggest rose tattoo on his neck ever haha

sat down in the chair and he reaches over to a literal pile of machines. there had to be at least a dozen all up on top of eachother. he spread them out a bit and grabbed the two or three he needed. i think i owned two liners and a shader at that point in my career haha. it was such a cool ass experience.

and for future reference, if you let scott do what he wants, you end up with a huge neck/face rose or a grim reaper riding a rooster pointing up at your "good times" haha

one last thing... got to meet Hector Fong there. cool dude for sure!!! havent spoken to him in a while. i hope hes doing well. and i remember scott yellin at him then callin him "a chinese mexican or whatever the fuck you are"

went to the closing party/auction. it was awesome but shitty timing. it was in february when i had nooooooo money. i just got back from a trip home. wanted to bid on a rassier painting, but my roommate wanted to as well. i let her buy it. she got it super fucking cheap!!!! i hate her guts now.

oh i remember noah also scraping shit off the floor with a razor because eddie said he fucked up haha

loch, what you know about some multi colored boogers?! haha

i should start using a respirator or a cheap mask at least.

Probably still got some up my nose. So far I've only done the yellow but have a feeling more is in the pipes and I'll once again leave a hidden mess in the back of Blackheart until the shop helper goes to clean, ahahah. Scott, gave me a quick lowdown then went to finish a tattoo and during this time Cody came back and was like here put more in there to grind it up. Scott came back a lil later and was like you may want to do less at a time. Shit was all over, I looked jaundice.

i had already moved back to DC when 222 opened, but i got to spend many hours there over the few years they were opened. countless memories hanging out with scott and rassier, and getting to know juan well and jessie and eddie somewhat. it was definitely a milestone in not only SF tattooing, but in tattooing worldwide and in my life as well. seeing the sideshow of characters walking to and from the gay bar across the street was always more entertaining than almost anything being done in the shop. i definitely got to see Carson Vester hanging out\helping out building the place with his famous cut off jean shorts and balls basically hanging out. i also got eddie to tattoo my finger when an appointment of his didn't show. he knew i was close with scott and had been around me many many times. after setting up and drawing on my finger, he grabs his machine, leans over to start the tatt, stops, looks up at me and i swear he say's, "i'm gonna have to charge you something for this ya know?!" and i say, no shit with a grin (thinking no shit, i know it wouldn't be free)........fucking eddie. haha. that place was fun.

Got tattooed there by Eddie in fall/winter of 96,97. Eddie was a big inspiration. I found out about him when I was still living in the midwest, just a wannabe tattooer. I know Eddie made it out and was makin it in CA. which is what I wanted as well. I saw his work on some kids that were getting work from Guy and I was blown away. Plus Eddie was tattooing Guy . At that time Guy ruled the midwest for the under 30 crowd, so I knew Eddie had it going on! I got this piece from him in roughly 4 two hour sessions. I was low on cash at the time so I had to do a little at a time. Juan did the clouds above at spotlight in04. That was a great shop. It was a rockstar shop and it went out like a rockstar, peaking early and dying young.DSC_2647.JPG

sorry can't get that photo up . stupid computers or probably stupid me!

Dean and anyone else who may be having difficulaties uploading photos as it can be a tricky process here's something Steve wrote to help:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/tattooforum/threads/70-How-to-upload-attach-images-to-your-posts

Hope it helps? If not, please let us know! Thanks and keep the 222 stories coming!!!!

I moved to SF from Austin in 1997. Leading up to my move, I was finishing a piece with Chris Trevino, and every time I saw him, he'd tell me that I had to get tattooed by Eddy when I got to SF. He'd also tell me stories about his guest slots at 222 and how it was the nicest shop he'd ever set foot in. By the time I actually got to SF, I was broke. I stayed that way for a few years, but when I finally got a decent bonus in 1999, I went straight to 222 on my lunch break. Rassier was the only guy there that day, and he told me that Eddy's wait was 6 months. (It's funny to look back on that chat with Rassier, as my wife and I both have a few tattoos from him now.)

The 6 months finally went by and I got my half-sleeve from Eddy, which he knocked out in no time at all. Right before he started, I said, "So, are you as heavy as Chris?" He laughed and said, "No one's as heavy as Chris, dude." We talked a lot about martial arts, other tattoo artists and the usual stuff, but the funniest thing is that he lit up a cigarette and my girlfriend asked if she could have one. He said, "Yeah, but you gotta smoke it outside." She thought he was joking, but he was dead serious! "It's my shop--I'm the only one who can smoke in here." So she declined, haha.

It is interesting that 222 will always be revered in the same was Realistic was, Scott did the roses on my neck in '99

I do have an Eddy story tho, I grew up in Sydney Australia and came to SF for the first time in 1992 and seeing Tattootime 5 and also a few traveling peeps with Eddy work he headed the list of people I wanted to get work from, of course my taste was pretty different to what Eddy was doing at the time and I had my buddy draw up a tribal arm design for me.

So if it wasn't the first day I was in SF it was the second my naive 21yo legs marched down to 722 Columbus Ave North Beach and it was 11.55 entered the shop and there is Eddy mopping the floor with some scruffy bum watching (of course that turned out to be Dan Higgs) but alas did not see that they had not turned the closed sign around, so they informed me they were not in fact open yet which kind of made things a bit uncomfortable because I just waited outside and twiddled my thumbs for 5 minutes until they turned the sign around.

Its funny because I did not end up getting tattooed there because of that (I went and saw Leo Zulueta in LA and he did the work for me), and I think I just wasn't ready but I often think what I would have ended up with if I let them go to town I sill think that early Tattoo City kinda set the style for the world to follow, now that I am pretty well covered I realize that it shaped me to do the research first to get good tattoos and I have traveled all over to get them.

I did try to get an appointment in 96 with Eddy but this was a few months before 222 opened and he was busy with getting that together, so I had pretty serious coverage by the time I saw him in 2006 and he blasted on the mask in record time and this year he did some windbars with flames on my belly tying together the work on my legs to my front so all good things come to those that wait!

-Duncan