Dropping the Bomb, how your parents found out about your first tattoo!

AlannaCA

The conversation went something like this:

Monday-

Me: Hey mum, I really want a tattoo. I know I'm underage but I REALLY want one.

My mum: Hmm, I'm not sure. Let me look into it. I'll make enquiries at the shop where you-know-who went. It's a big decision, blah blah. You're only sixteen, blah blah blah.

Me: Okay, I wasn't expecting that. She's just pacifying me. She'll never go for it.

Tuesday-

My grandmother: Hey grandaughter, look at this cool tattoo I just got.

Me: That must be fake.

Me: Rubs tattoo - not a transfer. WTF?

Grandmother: Your mum got one too.

Me: Okay, now I REALLY REALLY need one.

My grandmother: We had to beat you to it.

Me: Gutted.

Friday-

My mum takes me for my first tattoo.

(My grandmother was in a biker gang in the fifties so I should have figured she'd continue to be a rebel with her first tattoo at 60)

• 3 weeks later...

If it makes any of you feel better..NO age is the perfect time to tell your parents!! LOL I was 40 when I got my first of many and I hid it for 6 months!! When I finally got the nerve all my Mom said...it IS your body and you ARE an adult!!! I am the oldest child and only daughter. I think they always had more expectations of me then my 2 brothers so I was always careful not to hurt their feelings and all that, which followed me into my adult life. Now that my sleeve is almost complete and I have 7 others in various places, my Mom just rolls her eyes, although she does comment on how beautiful they are!!! The one perk...once the ink is on...there is no going back so you might as well put it out there and get it over with!!

My granny found out I have tattoos again the other day. She actually saw one a coupe of years ago but she has some form of dementia so she completely forgot about it. We've all agreed not to remind her because it shocks her too much and then she complains to my aunt for letting me do it. She was over for dinner on Saturday, I had long sleeves on and that was fine, but then I went off to do something else and wandered back into the kitchen a while later without rolling my sleeves back down. I didn't even notice until I heard her scream "JAYSUS, WHAT"S THAT ON YOUR ARM?!"

I don't think she liked it much.

*edit*

Reminds me of when one of my friends showed his ma his first tattoo. He said she just went white and said "is that the devil on your arm?"

The only proper answer to that question is "yes".

My mother was with me when I got my first tattoo. I think I was more maternal when I found out SHE got one. Haha. But then again, she was a guinea pig for an inexperienced artist, cause my cousin is a dick and took advantage...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

growing up they always said I could have as many I wanted as long as I wasn't living in there house. when I graduated they moved to Minnesota and I stayed behind in NY. I didn't tell them when I got my first one, a Motorhead Snaggletooth on my left bicep, saved it as a surprise for when I flew out to see them. They just laughed and my mom called me a fool, but I listened to there rules so it was okay. My dad doesn't care much, as long as no face tattoos or those Nazi skinhead prison types. My mom still laughs and calls me a fool but then asks to see what I got. She actually liked my last one so there's some improvement.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine know but don't know.

They know I'm tattooed, they've seen the ones on tops of my feet and inside ankle but they don't know how heavily tattooed I am. My mum thinks they're disgusting and that "her little girl getting tattooed is such a disappointment to her and..." I'm sure you can imagine the rest. It's less hassle, there's only me and my older brother, he'd be worse than my parents! And yes, I am the black sheep, I'm the odd one out in the family and proud of it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of this one for almost a year. My mom saw my Pinterest board and she saw my ink doodles on my leg months ago. They saw the pictures the day it happened, and mom was pulling up my pants leg to see it on Thanksgiving. Of course, I'm way old enough to not need their permission or approval of anything.

I took my son to get his first. I wanted to make sure he got a good piece from a safe shop. I did make him wait until he turned eighteen, and I had some ideas about placement. I think it turned out really cool, and I think he's pleased with it.

• 3 weeks later...

My mum came over to stay for christmas and I'm not good a keeping secrets from her (and there barely is a reason anyway). I didn't want her to 'accidently' find out about my first tattoo, so I thought it better to tell her about it. After having read about so many rather negative reactions on here, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was sure she wouldn't be super angry with me, but major disappointment would have been a possibility.

So, the two of us had an evening out and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Mum, I actually bought something with the money you gave me for my birthday.

Her: Oh good, what is it, something nice?

Me: Well, I do think so, but I'm not sure you'll like it...

Her: It's your money and you can do with it whatever you like. What is it then? ...[her being really curious now and trying to guess]...a gun?!? [We're German, so this would have been very unusual and rather unpopular. And yet, I found it rather odd that this was the first thing that came to her mind.]

Me : Hell no!

Her: [Comes up with another totally weird guess which I can't even remember]

Me: No, nothing like that....I got tattooed....

Her: Ah...I see...what is it? And where? Can I see it?

Me: I got a lynx head and some flowers on my thigh. [And no, I couldn't show it as we were in a public space.]

Her: Does it have a special meaning?

Me: Not really, I just fancied it.

Her: So it's more like decoration?

Me: Yes!

Her: Fair enough....Are you gonna wear hot pants in summer?

Me: Err....what? No, I wasn't planning to. I'm not a teenager anymore...

Her: What about a swimsuit, will it be visible then?

Me: Well, it would be, but you know I don't really go swimming very often.

Her: So it's pretty much always hidden?!? Can I see it later?

At the end the of the day, the hardest thing to understand for her seemed to be, that I wasn't planning to show off the tattoo as such. Phew. Could have been worse.

When I later mentioned that I was indeed thinking about getting another tattoo, this seemed to stretch it somewhat though. I guess little bits of information from time to time will be a better approach in this case... ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Got my first without asking/telling either senior year of HS or the summer between that and college - somewhere around there. My mom noticed the bandaged area through my T-shirt and asked what was wrong with my back/shoulder so I told her. Didn't get much reaction.

When I pierced my ears (I forget what gauge) for a week before saying f it, I tried to pull a too-small toboggan down past my lobes, but it didn't work very well.

• 2 weeks later...

My first tattoo covers the entire top of my forearm (the piece I chose fits there ideally, I wasn't going to compromise), so already it was a shock for my parents in terms of the placement and size. If I remember right the comment was 'it's a lovely piece of art, but why did you get it on your skin!" and they were surprised that I chose black and grey over color, since they 'thought I had a colorful personality'. I wasn't allowed to wear any clothes that were black until I was 14/15, I guess they have a hang up about black equalling depression or something. My dad was ok with it initially but has said some more rude comments over time, whereas my mum is starting to enjoy when I come to visit, and point out the reactions of other people to how I look. :P (as a background I look about 15, and I'm a girl with a mostly shaved head, it makes small town people freak out)

They also insisted I didn't get any more, so the rest are on my legs and I just cover them with pants...now I have 4 on my legs I realise it's going to be another 'dropping the bomb' moment eventually...

• 2 months later...

HA! Great question!

I was married to someone with tattoos at the time, in my mid-twenties, and so I think my parents might have been dreading that I would be getting tattooed at some point. When I showed my dad he said "Well, at least it's good" (like he would even know). I think that was about as positive a reaction as I could ever have hoped for!

• 2 weeks later...

Weeks leading up to my 18th birthday (and appointment), kept telling my parents about it and they didn't believe I would go through with it. After school on my birthday I went to the shop and got the cover of Lift Your Skinny Fists... by Godspeed You! Black Emperor tattooed on my shoulder. As I got home my mom saw it in my eyes and was just in disbelief, and my dad was kind of like sad dog.

Luckily I still love GY!BE, even though it was a poor tattoo choice (too be expected at 18, I guess).

3 years later when I started my half-sleeve they were both just like "fuck it," and it's been ink ever since.

I'm really close with my parents. My mom got a tattoo in her 40's, and my dad hates all tattoo's. So when I said I wanted one, he was very against it while my mom was helping me plan for it. After a few months (and me advertising the fact that I wanted one over and over) , he finally said, wait till youre 22 (this was a little into turning 21) the week of my 22nd birthday I got my first tattoo.

Ive since gotten a second and am planning for my third

• 3 weeks later...

My parents were both cool with it, I'd discussed it with them beforehand, to lessen the shock. I was, however, worried about my grandmother's reaction, since I'm very close with her. Ever since my dad was a kid, she's been saying that she'd disown anyone who got a tattoo, but I felt like it would be best to be up front about the whole thing with her, and slowly introduced her to the idea. After seeing it, she flinched and yelled "Why would you ever get one of those!" then, after a few seconds said "It's beautiful though". We spent an hour that day looking at tattoos on the internet, with her critiquing them. She said most of the same stuff you guys do, lots of black, solid, steady outlines, one main subject per tattoo, nothing too busy, etc. It was actually pretty cool!

My parents were both cool with it, I'd discussed it with them beforehand, to lessen the shock. I was, however, worried about my grandmother's reaction, since I'm very close with her. Ever since my dad was a kid, she's been saying that she'd disown anyone who got a tattoo, but I felt like it would be best to be up front about the whole thing with her, and slowly introduced her to the idea. After seeing it, she flinched and yelled "Why would you ever get one of those!" then, after a few seconds said "It's beautiful though". We spent an hour that day looking at tattoos on the internet, with her critiquing them. She said most of the same stuff you guys do, lots of black, solid, steady outlines, one main subject per tattoo, nothing too busy, etc. It was actually pretty cool!

I always say up-front is the best way. Don't make it a challenge, but firmly press on.

i was lucky growing up cause I had an older sister around to kinda break all the barriers down and give me the easy way with our parents haha she got her first at 19 and my mom just cried, not because of the tattoo necessarily, but because of how it looked when it was healing. She did the same thing when I got my first. Just bawled for 10 minutes. after they started healing and didnt look so gnarly she would always say they look beautiful and all that. My dad really didn't seem to mind, just told us both to not go getting any on places we couldn't easily coverup. I got lucky with my parents man :)

I'm in the process of my first tattoo. Two more sessions to go, koi fish half sleeve. My dad is actually paying for half of it as a birthday present and coming with for each session. My mom was okay with it, but when she saw the outline all she said was "that's a big tattoo."

Don't think i've ever posted in this thread, but....

Boy was my mom PISSED when she first found out. I had just had my wisdom teeth pulled at age 19 and we were in the drug store picking up some meds. I was completely loopy from the surgery and was a bit too open. I first suggested we go home and smoke some weed, and explained that she might have to pick some up because I was out..... She was a wonderful and tolerant lady so she just kinda let that one go. Then we walked by something, I don't know what, and I said "mom! that looks just like my tattoo!!". (This was back in 1992 and tattoos were only beginning to become mainstream at the time. Most guys I knew had their first ones put on their hip or some other very concealable area. I had a tattoo on each hip at that point.) She replied, "you don't have a tattoo, do you?" to which i said "I HAVE TWO!" and basically pulled my pants down in the drug store. She said "that's not real is it?!" and at about that point, I started to realize the size of the cat i had just let out of the bag, and back tracked and tried to say they were fake, but then ultimately admitting that they weren't. She was pissed. But she didn't yell at me, because i was all drugged up. So she went home and yelled at my brother for not telling her. She became progressively less pissed with each new tattoo, and ultimately not pissed at all... She was super smart though and realized the stupid tribal designs I was having applied back then was gonna go out of style, and fast. I think she would be a bit peeved at my coverage now, but appreciate the work and the subject matter. I would like to think so anyway. I miss her a ton.

i was lucky growing up cause I had an older sister around to kinda break all the barriers down and give me the easy way with our parents haha she got her first at 19 and my mom just cried, not because of the tattoo necessarily, but because of how it looked when it was healing. She did the same thing when I got my first. Just bawled for 10 minutes. after they started healing and didnt look so gnarly she would always say they look beautiful and all that. My dad really didn't seem to mind, just told us both to not go getting any on places we couldn't easily coverup. I got lucky with my parents man :)

lucky! im the oldest so my brother has it easy now