Dropping the Bomb, how your parents found out about your first tattoo!

AlannaCA

I got home from my session and asked my dad "do you like tattoos?"

"not really"

"oh, I have one now"

"WHAT?!"

2 days later he was fine with it, now both my parents just ask when I'm getting my next one. I'm the only person in my family who has any as well.

• 2 months later...

After I joined the Navy, My mom was excited about me getting a tattoo. Right after bootcamp she asks "When are you going to get a tattoo?" I told her that I was in no hurry at the time. Little did she realize that twenty years later, I would be doing her first tattoo! She shows it off at every chance she gets. . . . . same with my dad. I did his first tattoo the same day. My parents were very supportive of me and my decision to be a tattoo artist after my navy career. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I told my mom that I was getting a tattoo and that I was scared but already made the appointment. She warned me that it would hurt, and that once I started I couldnt go back, I had to finish it. She called me right before I got it done and told me to be calm. I went, got it done, then she made me show up to her job to show her. She said it was well done, and that she liked that it had meaning. My stepdad was ok with it too. they both have tattoos. both of my mom's are shitty, and my stepdad has an awesome wolf on his leg, a wolf head on his arm with his last name done in like 93, and a howling wolf done in like 92.

Telling and showing my dad was harder. He doesnt understand or like tattoos, and as a child taught me that people who got tattoos went to hell. Changed his tune as I got older, so I texted my brother a picture of it and asked him to show my dad.

Dad said it looked good but that he didnt understand why I would do it.

I didnt tell anyone but my sister about getting my second and third tattoos. Well, I told you guys on here, and the friend I got the third one done with, but not my parents. Needless to say, they didnt like them and bitched me out about it. The second one I got bitched out for hiding it, the third I got bitched out for spending the money on it and for it being "meaningless"

when I was growing up my mother was totally against piercings of any kind so when i went to Virginia beach on spring break my senior year I decided I was going to get a tattoo in memory of my cousin who was more like a brother to me that passed away when i was 14, it was on a whim tattoo just went to a shop and found a cross told him what I wanted and he made it happen. I told my mother I had just gotten my ear and nipple pierced (knowing she hated that worse) I used this to fire her up and when I got home and she was threatening to rip out my piercings if i did not remove them myself I casually showed her no part of my body had been pierced. she said that it was a terrible joke and she was upset. I then proceeded to remove my shirt and said "well if your already upset and were prepared for the worst... here is my tattoo".

she was actually happy, she liked my premise, she thought it was tasteful and thoughtful and a good way to remember a person very dear to me!

- - - Updated - - -

spelling

My parents knew I was going to get my first tattoo, my Mom was cool with it. My dad however, was not. Went and got a little script writing, told them that'd it.... now I have sleeves and hands. But they love it, and love I'm a tattoo apprentice. Crazy what paths life takes you down.

My mom didn't seem too pleased when I told her I was getting a tattoo. She said, "well you'd better ask your sister about how much it hurt!" I think to try and dissuade me. As if I'm going to not do something that my little sister was able to do twice because it was going to hurt a bit. So of course I went ahead with it.

I mean, really. I was 34 years old. She's not the boss of me!

I was 17. I already had five, getting my first at an old 14/young 15. My father saw the skull and crossbones on my bicep when he casually walked into my room while I was scratching my arm. My loud, emotional, Jewish mother didn't take kindly to the news. She no longer talks about my tattoos but to this day, I'm pretty sure it still bothers her.

Both of my parents have tattoos, so telling them about my own ink was never a worry (I was honestly more concerned about telling them I was moving across the country with my boyfriend- now fiance- for school). As a kid I remember taking markers to my dad's arm to color in a piece that he only had the outline of (after it was healed of course), he was my living breathing coloring book! I think my parents were actually slightly disappointed that I didn't ask them to come with me and be part of my first tattoo experience.

I had a couple of terrible home tattoos I did on myself in middle school (I know :( haha) and my mom saw them once when I was wearing a bathing suit as a teenager. She asked about them and I lied and said they were henna. She saw them again a few months later and said "I thought you said those were henna!" And I laughed and said, "oh I lied!" And then she rolled her eyes at me. When I started getting legit tattoos it was basically just more eye rolling, but I am the youngest of 4 kids so my older siblings already had tattoos. I am sorry so many of you have parents that were so upset!! I feel pretty lucky my folks are so low key about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I'm pretty sure my inlaws think I am a huge weirdo but at least my husband has tattoos as well.

I think my parents knew it would happen eventually. I was a punk rocker and had already gotten the piercings so it was only a matter of time. Before I'd get pierced or tattooed I would always give my mom the heads up. I wouldn't ask permission - just wanted her to be informed. She protested the tattoos a bit more than the piercings but it was a half hearted protest. I do recall when I got my tongue piercing that my Scottish grandmother was disappointed and said "I'd rather you'd gotten a tattoo". Ha ha... was not expecting that from her! My dad on the other hand is not a fan of tattoos - which is funny because he's sort of the stereotypical biker guy (so much so that apparently my mother in law thinks my Dad is encouraging my Husbands "addiction" to tattoos - yah, sure). My dad just doesn't like them. But my sisters worn him down. She's toe to toe with my husband for tattoos now. So any other tattoos I get are just old news.

A few months prior to my 18th birthday, I began talking about how I would get a tattoo when I could legally do so. Knowing that I would get a tattoo whether they liked it or not, my parents decided to take me to a local tattoo shop a few days early to talk to the tattoo artists and schedule an appointment on my birthday so they could make sure I went somewhere they thought was safe. They even paid for the tattoo! I really appreciate my parents' openness.

Although, they also didn't think that I would develop a serious interest tattoos. When I started getting more tattoos, my mom would get mad and ask when I'm going to stop while my dad would just shake his head. Now they understand that I'm not planning to stop and are accepting. I don't think it's necessarily something they like though.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my hidden pretty well on my thigh. At the time I was home from school and my mom walked in to tell me my dad was on the phone. My boxers had ridden up pretty high and it was showing. I recall she said, "Wake up, your dad is on the phone. IS THAT A TATTOO? FAR-FA-FLICAL @$#? SOB!!!..." My response, "Calm down and let me take the call; the tattoo isn't going anywhere." Woah did that fire her up even more. That was 20 years ago, and we have a good laugh at it now.

Ever since I was a little kid I had told my parents I was getting tattooed. My parents used to buy me temporary tats all the time and I loved them. Still I waited until I was 19 to get my first. My parents are really cool but... what Momma don't know won't hurt her. I decided not to tell them. I didn't live with them or anything so it was easy to hide. I got a few more small tats, then a chest piece, then a piece on my ribs. One year my parents took us all to the beach, and there wasn't any way in hell I wasn't going. I knew I had to tell them and just wussed out. So that first day on the beach I threw my shirt off and just waited. My sister starts crying, my Mom starts cussing me asking if they're real, and my pops just called me a "dumbass" for wasting my money. It was awesome. They all got over it and while they still aren't the biggest fans of tats they respect mine and respect the fact that I have good tattoos. My mom did make me promise her that I wouldn't tat my hands or neck. I'm starting to regret that as my open spots are slowly getting filled but a promise is a promise.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1973, I was 17, living at home, and very rebelous. My dad, was like Archie Bunker. One night A buddy of mine said "lets go get a tatto". And so we did. We drove to Long Beach, the 'Pike'. Saw a shop called Leroys. An old guy was standing outide the door and I asked him if he was Leroy. He didnt say a word, just rolled his lower lip down so I could see where he had tattoed his name on the inside. Chilling. So I got a Harley tattoo. Back then they would tape a gauze patch over the work for a day. When I rolled into the house, Dad flipped, "Jeeeezus Christ, Is that where you been shooting drugs?" It was so funny I started laughing, which didnt make the situation any lighter.

• 3 weeks later...

My tongue piercing story is funnier. My mom & my best friend were playing 'Pictionary', so when my mom drew I got excited and yelled "Blank check! Blank check!" So she ended up seeing my tongue ring and said "You got it done...." Since I was talking about it for a while. According to my parents, you can be the most beautiful girl in the world but if you have a tongue ring it's absolutely disgusting. haha My dad never knew. I got rid of it this year. I thoroughly enjoy eating ice cream off a cone now. It just got annoying after many years...

As for my first tattoo. Well, my family cringed but it was for my brother so that made them more accepting.

If anything now my brother is getting a family tree sleeve and he wants the one I got for him.

We actually aren't close at all. But he gave me the most thoughtful gift in the world. It was a small charm for a necklace, in it was a picture of the moon how it looked when I was born (first quarter). I wore it everyday, and slowly broke.

I think it'll always be my favourite.

I 'm not sure if my folks know about my tattoos. I suspect they don't because my mom is not one to be shy with her opinions. On the other hand, she might just be in tremendous denial. Either way works for me - I can do with out the rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth.

I suspect I'll keep quiet about it. We don't live in the same city so its not like it would come up often anyway.

Great stories in here - I really enjoyed reading about all the different experiences people have had.

My first tattoos were little tiny pieces of flash - a kanji symbol (i know, i know. it was 2000! also i was underage and using a fake id...) and a little black flower on my back. My mom saw the flower through a mirror when I was changing, and then I inadvertently showed her my hip forgetting it was there. Fast forward 7 years, and I hid my large forearm piece (first 'real' tattoo) from my family for several years - and then they invited me to a beach vacation! So I 'fessed up before they bought the tickets (was a little tiny chance of being shunned by my family...so I didn't want them to go to the expense of a the ticket if that was the case) . I have an AWESOME stepdad who is so accepting and wonderful! prob would not be a member of my family if he weren't in it.

Both my mother and little sister get kinda sad when I show 'em my new work...but when their friends are around it's "hey, come here, show [xyz] your tattoos!" hehehe.