Dropping the Bomb, how your parents found out about your first tattoo!

AlannaCA

I got a tattoo when I was 19 and it was easy to hide from my parents and my mum didn't find out until I was 32! She doesn't like it (or my piercings either!) I haven't told her my intention to get another one but I have told my kids!

I'm almost 50 and have been putting off letting my mom know about/see my leg. It's been easy to hide if she visits in cooler weather. But once I have to wear shorts or capris, she's going to see it. She was okay with it before when my tattoos were all so small. I'm not sure what she'll think now that they're big. She'll probably love the Pacific Crest Trail tattoo I have since she has become one of these trail moms helping out all the hikers that come through near where she lives. My hope is that since my big blue roses are touching it, she'll think it's all one big tattoo and therefore there won't be too much static at the "big reveal".

I got my first a couple days after I turned 18. I told my mom I was getting it-she didn't believe me. I told her I would be late coming home b/c it was an hour drive and my friend and I were the last appts of the night. She "uh huh, yeah, ok" 'd me, still not believing me. Came home later, she said "where have you been? It's past curfew" Um..have I not been telling you all week I was getting a tattoo, hello? She was so stunned she didn't say much after that. Dad did the whole "ohhh GAWWWD you're going to regreeeeet this foreeeeeeever" drama speech.

My first tattoo was pretty dumb, just this little power button symbol behind my ear. It's covered now but at the time I had already been getting pierced on my own, so when my mom saw it, she just kinda looked at it, said "hm" and left it at that. I did overhear her telling our neighbor about it though, it was a very matter-of-fact conversation. I think my dad made fun of me, it was pretty good.

As I kept getting more, and eventually after I started tattooing, they've just accepted it as part of my life. Both of them are now pretty supportive, trust my tastes, and often look forward to seeing the new pieces that I have. I do know that deep down, it really bums my mom out that I will eventually be covered, but she also recently "got it" when it came to why people get tattooed/how much it changes your life in a positive light. So that's cool. I definitely feel like I could have it waaaayyy worse.

My first tattoo was a rose and dagger design on the very top of my right arm bicep/shoulder. It was done shortly after my 16th birthday in 1983. I had to show proof that I was 16 to get the creepy old tattooer to even let me into his dingy downtown basement shop. I had figured because of the placement, I could easily hide it from Mom just wearing a t-shirt. I was mostly right. I knew that it would have to be revealed someday but, I was in no hurry. Much to my chagrin, it happened sooner rather than later.

My folks vacationed in Jamaica and had brought me back this shirt, much like a karate jacket, made out of a large cotton/linen sugar bag. I figured it was a good choice to wear over a fresh tattoo, loose fitting and all. As it turned out, the old guy was not only a creep (insisted I have my hand on his knee the entire time....didn't get it then...makes me shudder now...) but also a bit of a butcher. I oozed blood and ink for a day at least and of course, permantly stained the souvenir from Jamaica. Moms caught me coming out of the bathroom, saw the mess on my sleeve and asked what the hell happened there. I've never been able to lie to my mom (even at times that I really should have lol), so I smiled sheepishly and took my shirt off. She stood dumb founded for a minute, asked me if it was real and then smiled, shook her head and called me an idiot, in the most loving way of course. Lucky. Cool as hell mom.

Last year I posted a pic of my most recent piece on Facebook with an apology to my mom and stating that she had likely not quite forgiven me for the first one hahaha. She's cool about it in her resignation :)

I was going to surprise my folks when I went home to see them this past weekend but before I had a chance to my brother dropped the bomb, ha. Mom was over in his town for a wedding, took him out to lunch and he says "Hey, did you see Alex's tattoo!? Its really cool." So he showed her the picture on my instagram and the next day Dad texts me "I wanna see your tat," so I sent him a picture. They were really cool about it and seemed to genuinely like it. My uncle just got his first tattoo a couple months ago, in his 50s, and when he saw mine he was blown away, "that's gotta be like a thousand dollar tattoo" type of reaction. I told him some shops in his area to check out if he wants more.

I had a similar experience to some of you. I just had the outline done the week before when I was sent to the hospital. They thought it was an appendicitis but it was a kidney infection. The gown opens in the back and the whole ER saw the piece of art. I still get emails to this day from my family saying how tattoos will keep me workingminimum jobs and I will die of hep c... little do they know that I'm finishingit asap and starting on my half sleeves!

I had a similar experience to some of you. I just had the outline done the week before when I was sent to the hospital. They thought it was an appendicitis but it was a kidney infection. The gown opens in the back and the whole ER saw the piece of art. I still get emails to this day from my family saying how tattoos will keep me workingminimum jobs and I will die of hep c... little do they know that I'm finishingit asap and starting on my half sleeves!

Was the kidney infection caused by the tattoo?

• 1 month later...

I hadn't seen my Mum for about 4 months and I turned up home with a tattoo of Pac-Man on my forearm. "Are you sure you're not going to regret that?" was all she said. She's never disapproved, but always told me to be sensible with the ones I get. I've no problem talking to her about appointments, ideas I have, etc.

I've never spoken openly with my Dad about tattoo's. I know he's seen the ones I have... noticed him looking when we're sat in the pub, or having a meal and i've forgotten to wear long sleeves. He's never said anything about them though and I don't know whether i'd feel comfortable talking about them with him.

I'm lucky because every time I have ever talked to my parents about tattoos, they have never seem to disapprove of the idea, even though neither of them have any tattoos themselves. They were hippies and I think they are more open minded than most people.

I think if more parents were like mine the world would have less ugly tattoos. A lot of kids seem to get badly thought out tattoos just for the sake of being somewhat rebellious. I never felt the need to do that as a teenager.

However, my father thinks all tattoos except for the most simple are ugly, and my mother seems to think women look best with "feminine" tattoos. I don't have the same taste as them, but it's not a big deal.

I finally bit the bullet at 33, had not decided what I was going to get done. I asked my mom if she'd be ok with a in memory tattoo of my brother who was killed in a auto accident. She stated well your little sister got one before you, and it's your body if you want to get one or 100 done it's your choice.

Just had my dream catcher done and haven't shown mom in person, but with Facebook I'm sure she's seen it. All in all she's ok with them as long as us kids are happy with them.

My first was about a year and a half after my brother took his own life and it took a huge toll on my own life.. I told my mother that I planned on getting a tattoo, she wasn't harsh or mad, really kind of surprised. She said never thought I'd be one for getting tattoos. My brother had several, probably 10..

Once I got tattooed, she saw it said 'Brothers Forever' and her response was, are you sure your other brother(who's pretty self centered) isn't going to think its about him? He and I have never been close, so I said no way.. My brother that's gone was actually adopted and we were really close.. :werd:

As for my father.. Heh.. He lives 5 hours away and has only been around twice since I've had my first and have gotten two others since. The one time he was around it was cold so it was covered. I don't think he'll judge me per say, but I'm sure he'll be concerned about my professional career.. We are planning a beach trip in sept maybe, then the holidays etc.. If all that fails, in June next year we are going to the Canadian Grand Prix..

Actually a little nervous about pop seeing them, but the way I see it is, my daughter is 2.5 years old and he'd come around more often he'd have seen them.. They are on FB so who knows, maybe he has seen'em

I got my mum to sign a statutory declaration saying it was ok because I was 16 and she knew I would do something dumb like get a home job tat (thank Christ I didn't).

I was lucky enough to know a very cool Tattooer who tolerated me hanging at the studio after school and was ok with doing it.

I got an old skool wall flash panther on my shoulder since my mum has a panther on hers, but she unfortunately didn't know about the brand slazenger and got their logo haha

• 1 month later...

i now got seven tats, most of them are small pieces or quotes. some on ribs, upper shoulders, inner arms, elbows and back.

They have not seen any, although i live with my big family and most of them have saw one different piece in different situation. Still my mom and dad doesn't know. Just dad saw a back piece this morning asking what's that asking if it will go away and i said sure. Will look for the evening drama today. interesting how things will turn out. Probably will get kicked out of home, while still planning a lot more work to come in the nearest future

Heck, well good luck then @RockPriest. Do you have somewhere to stay if the worst happens?

I'm mid thirties and still waiting for my first tattoo (3 weeks to go now) - I was really nervous about telling my mother, she's a very liberal, hippy type but I remember all too clearly how horribly shocked when I got my lip pierced when I was 17 or 18. I was living totally independently, supporting myself and all that jazz. FFS.

But, yeah, we live in separate countries so I had to tell over the phone - she claimed to be fine with the idea was clearly a bit ruffled. She's come round now though and is even getting excited for me. Quite amendment about me having loads of colour and <stern voice> thinking very carefully indeed before going bellow the elbow. That my nasty (and very, very old) self harm scarring will be covered by this first set of pieces is probably a factor in her 'acceptance' of the idea TBH. But I do wonder if she is deliberately and consistently refusing to understand that we're talking most of my arm (not just the grim part), that I'll probably be going with black and grey and almost certainly to 1/3 along my forearm but, well, for better or worse we live in different countries.

I also keep showing her photos of almost totally covered women and telling her that that's what I'm after but, yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a bit of denial going on!

- - - Updated - - -

My children (one aged 4, one 5 1/2) are thrilled about the idea - in fact it was probably my son and his endless drawings on his skin that inspired me to finally make an appointment after years of quietly considering things.

I just showed my mom my first one and she ran and told my dad. He got over it pretty fast since it was small and not always in his face. I respect his opinion more than my mom's, although I disagree with it. My mom, like many things, is still holding it over my head. I will never be good enough no matter how many degrees I have, how much of my work is published, and how many senators shake my hand. The tattoos are just a bigger reason to treat me like yesterday's garbage.

• 1 month later...

Well, getting my parents to accept it has been a long road! I came home with a nose piercing when I was 12 years old. My mom freaked and didn't talk to me for three days. Funny thing; It was fake. I did it to see how she would react, and I thought she didn't mind so I went ahead and got a real one.. Still haven't told her that part! ;D

I kept getting more piercings, and when I was 15 I started nagging my parents and a local artist for a tattoo. None of them would agree to it, but after 6 months of coming by the shop at least once a week, and nagging my parents constantly, they signed off on it a few days before I turned 16. Just a tiny one on the top of my back.

After that... I stopped asking. Wasn't a big issue until I came home with a half sleeve when I was 18, and my mom for some reason had convinced herself I was getting something small. My dad never minded so much, he just wanted me to let him know before I got more done :p

My mom never accepted it, she would always have some comment on why it was a bad idea, claiming I was being impulsive etc. (I've been modified for 10 years now, worked in a tattoo parlor for a year and worked as a piercer before that!) But about 6months ago, I had a serious talk with her. I told her how much this means to me, why its important to me, and that I wished I could share my excitement and joy about it with her. She finally got it. Earlier this year we traveled to the states, and I got a new tattoo there. They were both able to share in on my excitement :) Oh, and they both thought it was amazing that a ton of people stopped me wherever we went to comment on my tattoos. My dad is super proud now and tells all his friends about how his baby girl has beautiful tattoos :P And my mom has set it up for me to talk to her friends daughter who wants a tattoo, because now I'm apparently a role model for young rebellious girls to make wise decisions.... Now that, is a strange turn of events! :)

I think it was a few days before my 18th birthday I told my mom I was getting tattooed for my birthday. She didn't really fight me about it. I think she didn't know what to say! I grew up around tattooed adults so I think she couldn't quite be so judgmental about it. And that was that.

A few years ago when I'd collected a decent amount she looked at me one day and said "You're done right?". I laughed and told her that ship had sailed. She still insists to never get my face tattooed.

More amusing was my grandpa. He just kept going "Is that real? Is that permanent? Nahhh...." and laughing.

I was Living with My Dad at the time and announced I was going to get a tattoo. He just scoffed and said " If you get one, I'll get one". I said rightio and when I came home he cockily asked if I went through with it- I proudly showed it off.... to this day he still hasn't got a tattoo ;)

Nothing has ever been said directly to me about tattoos but there have been passing comments along the lines of not approving too many tattoos etc. but it hasn't and wont stop me :) I just let them (Dad and step Mum) discover new ink . Mum doesn't care.

When I first went home after moving out, I was nervous about showing my mom my first visible tattoo (my first tattoo was inside my lip) - a zombie pin-up girl on my forearm (by Kahlil Rintye of Tattoo City, then of Mom's Body Shop). I decided on wearing short sleeves and to not bring it up and hope she wouldn't smack me silly.

She just looked at it and said "Well, at least you can't see her nipples."