tattoo tux

Tux Farrar Tattoo | Tattoo Tux Has Devoted His Heart And Body To Art - Baltimore Sun

I read this article today and thought it was pretty cool. Sadly theres no photos of his work if anybody has any they'd be willing to share that'd be awesome. if this has already been posted my bad.

I didn't really work with him as an artist or front desk; He let me tattoo myself there a few times and let me hang around whenever I wanted and answered any question I had. I was at his shop as much as possible between the years of 1990 to 2000. I feel lucky to have been in that situation because he was extremely gruff to just about everybody, especially other tattooers. Had a big opportunity not fallen into my lap halfway across the country I believe that would've been my first 'job'. There were only 2 people in that whole time that he set up machines for and the other person was my roommate at the time.

There's no right/wrong 'what I should've done/chosen to do' at that time just decisions made and where they take you. I don't regret moving away from Baltimore at a turning point like that but sometimes I do wish I had been able to spend more time there at his shop at a crucial time like that before he passed away. I still talk to his widow fairly frequently and she tells me that she knows he would be proud of me now. I plan to see her again when I go to Bmore for a guest spot this summer, and have set up a visit with Nick and Thom as well during that same trip.

Nick also had a big hand in showing Tux the ropes as did Thom and Elio. I recommend getting some artwork from Nick; he's a super rad guy and an amazing artist.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a certain not-to-be-named somebody here that has some great photos of Tux & Thom recently purchased that I've never seen before; I'll let them post them if he/she wants to after that person sees this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

@irezumi East coast tattoo history, outside of NYC, hasn't been documented as well as it should have been. Of course Paul Rogers and Cap Coleman have a bit more around them, but there are so many rad guys that started in Baltimore, or Philadelphia, etc.

One of the somewhat little-known people in Bmore worth knowing about is Tattoo Charlie Geizer

Charlie Geizer

Although his shop has changed hands and is no longer part of the Geizer family the shop is still there (in the red light district, of course)and worth a visit if the old flash is still up. My favorite part of Charlie's shop is the painted screens he had done. Screen painting, an old Baltimore folk art tradition, has themes that are usually quaint country scenes and whatnot but Charlie's screens are HUGE and are Bmore landmarks including 2 (3?) huge clipper ships. They're on the second floor so it's really difficult to get pictures of them.

Bunny, you need to get someone to let you go into the offices across the way from them and explain how unique, special and part of Baltimore history they are so you can photograph them.

edit; for the sake of a rough idea of what I'm talking about I used google street view. Not as good as actual photos but you get the idea. I also feel compelled to give context of where it's located.

charlies_zps3b10b9ed.png

theblock_zps0126c2f4.png

For a short period of time as a young lad I worked at what used to be a carry-out greasy spoon where that Subway is now. Memories.

@irezumi that's really interesting. I'm assuming Tux spent a good amount of time in New York working with Nick, Thom and Elio (Espana?).

Sorry this stuff fascinates me. I was at Kings Ave this weekend, and Chris was super cool to tell me stories about his first visits to 222 and Primal Urge when he had only been tattooing for a few years. I can't even imagine the impact it had on him.

I think a lot of Higgs influence came from Tux too.....just my opinion!

Unquestionably so. Dan would be the first to agree. Just look at this shirt; although he drew this after Dan started to develop his own style you can see where a lot of his early influence came from.

image_zpsf2c11aa7.jpg

Sorry for the huge pic; I can't figure out how to edit photobucket on the smartphone app.

@irezumi

Sorry this stuff fascinates me. I was at Kings Ave this weekend, and Chris was super cool to tell me stories about his first visits to 222 and Primal Urge when he had only been tattooing for a few years. I can't even imagine the impact it had on him.

Since @irezumi posted a shirt I thought I would too....LOL

I wore the hell out of this one!!!

That wasn't one of the Crazy John's locations, was it?

Crazy John's is still across the street a half a block up........but it could have been owned by them....obviously @irezumi will know!

Awesome Chicken Cheese Steaks......I had one about two weeks ago....he he he

I am interested though......how old were you when you worked there Irezumi? And....did you venture up the stairs much to see Dennis and crew? I know you're younger than me so I'm guessing it's highly unlikely you ever met Charlie.....

No, wasn't Crazy John's. Had some generic name that I can't recall, this was in '92 or '93. @Bunny Switchblade I'm a little younger but not by leaps and bounds hah. I didn't meet Charlie but I did poke my head in there once to see what it was like. I wasn't as wowed as I was at Tux's; his shop looked like part antique shop part mystical shrine part tat shack so pretty much anything with wood paneling wasn't as interesting.

I totally understand what you are talking about @irezumi......lol!

Now I want a Chicken Cheese Steak from Crazy John's for dinner......Thanks @NERD RAGE :)

- - - Updated - - -

And @irezumi.......do you think that your art background and school may have played into Tux's acceptance of you a little more than just some average person walking into the shop? The fact that you had some things in common?

@irezumi.......do you think that your art background and school may have played into Tux's acceptance of you a little more than just some average person walking into the shop? The fact that you had some things in common?

Yeah I think that's fair to say. We did met on school grounds so that connection was made before walking into the shop.

Yeah I think that's fair to say. We did met on school grounds so that connection was made before walking into the shop.

You answered a question i was thinking about asking privately @irezumi!

I wonder how many people know that Tux actually took classes at MICA? :)

Unfortunately.....when we were grabbing things out of Charlie's before the sale to the new owner.....there was some original hand drawn flash that Tux had done during his time spent with Dennis that we did not realize was in the lower racks! It went with the sale......although I am going to try to get some of it back at some point if it is ever for sale!

I photographed just about everything in the place before the sale except what was in the standing racks......never thought they might contain hand drawn flash.....and I certainly had never noticed it! UGH

You answered a question i was thinking about asking privately @irezumi!

I wonder how many people know that Tux actually took classes at MICA? :)

Unfortunately.....when we were grabbing things out of Charlie's before the sale to the new owner.....there was some original hand drawn flash that Tux had done during his time spent with Dennis that we did not realize was in the lower racks! It went with the sale......although I am going to try to get some of it back at some point if it is ever for sale!

I photographed just about everything in the place before the sale except what was in the standing racks......never thought they might contain hand drawn flash.....and I certainly had never noticed it! UGH

Oh wow that's rad, I hope you get lock those down!

Yeah I met Tux when he was finishing up his BFA, which was the same year that I started my fairly brief period at MICA before becoming an art school dropout. That's also the same year I met Dana Helmuth at MICA; we became fast friends as well.

@irezumi.......I will probably see Dana this weekend at the Baltimore Convention if I go down on Sunday! I think he'll be in the Read Street Tattoo booth......

Not sure if I really even want to go down or not BUT feel I should go down out of respect for some of my friends that will be there! Especially the ones getting up there in age! ;)

Not trying to drop any names....LOL

@irezumi.......I will probably see Dana this weekend at the Baltimore Convention if I go down on Sunday! I think he'll be in the Read Street Tattoo booth

He's the best ever. Such a nice guy.

Yeah I have a whole bunch of friends working the show from all over but I'm not tempted at all. It's such a hectic show that it's overwhelming. In past years what I've done is fill a station in the Museum while some of those guys work the show.

- - - Updated - - -

Was Elio tattooing in Baltimore at the time or just making trips?

I think I mis-spoke when I said that; he worked with Elio for a little bit up north between closing the OG shop and re-opening after finishing school. Nick and Thom are to be credited for teaching him.

This is an old photo of a Bali mask he did on my friend John, he has extensive work from Tux as well.

4923e98b-5e10-479e-9813-560a4e4ab4df_zps6e76ec6f.jpg

573fff49-88c5-4c8f-a420-9d645d2c09cd_zpsff64050c.jpg

This is the flyer he gave me when we met; I looked really puzzled at 1991 when it was still October or November 1990 but I realized that he was printing them for the upcoming year.

Or he was time traveling.

Thom taught Nick....correct?
Yup