Upcoming art shows

irezumi

I'm surprised we don't have this thread yet; or it's here and I've never seen it. This is a tattoo forum so I would think to keep it fairly or at least somewhat tattoo related. That said, I will probably be the first to post upcoming shows that aren't at all related.

My good friend and work buddy Joel Long is having a show at Adrian's new spot, scrolls and paintings that will completely blow your mind. A bunch of it was displayed at a local gallery late last year, and I posted a couple of teasers from that show, but this is a chance to see them in person and see some new ones as well. Myself and a few of the others from Bolder Ink will be in attendance. Show up and hang out drink wine eat cheese mingle shake hands buy artwork and all that other stuff.

joelshow_zpsdc721b10.jpg

Man oh man. @irezumi I would love photos of this event afterwards. Joel, in my humble opinion, has always been in my top 5 of best American tattooers doing Japanese tattoos. Fast on the heels of Trevino. Awesome thread idea as well.

If he approves of photos being taken or posted/shared I would be glad to. And yeah he is arguably in the top 10 American tattooers doing traditional Japanese tattoos.

That second to last picture of the tiger dragon is wacky I'm feeling it as a concept.

(if it is a thing like the koi dragon then this is the first I have seen it)

Yeah I hadn't seen it before either. He's started a couple of pieces with this or similar theme.

There's a scroll Joel painted for Andy hanging in Dedication, really impressive stuff in person, this show will be killer. @irezumi I still need to drive down and see you guys at Bolder sometime, I saw Mijo up here in summit a week or so ago.

I just did my last day of the season at Breck yesterday, bittersweet. Mijo will be up there (Breck) again this Sunday. I would be too if I didn't have work to do.

It was a good time last night, thanks to the folks that saw this and were able to make it. A nice turnout of people, saw some old friends and made some new ones. Met 2 people that was a meeting long overdue, along with @MadeIndelible and @cltattooing as well. Thanks for making it guys.

No photos, sorry. Didn't get any, there was a lot of mingling to do. They really don't do them justice anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cover_image.JPG

March 15, 2014 - September 8, 2014

Bodies in Balance: The Art of Tibetan Medicine

The Rubin Museum of Art

150 West 17th Street

New York, NY 10011

The first major exhibition to present the origins, history and practice of a millennium of visual history, Bodies in Balance explores the guiding principles of the Tibetan science of healing represented in medical paintings, manuscripts, and medical instruments. A multi-media installation shows how Tibetan medicine is used today.

Approximately 140 objects dating from the 9th century to the present day demonstrate the advancement of Tibetan medical knowledge as it was codified in medical texts, illustrated in art, demonstrated by medical tools, and made evident by examples of medicines compounded from natural ingredients and applied in practice.

5e32bd0f-a791-4e9d-b09b-4bdd16641450_zpsd8847096.jpg

052a4fee-f674-4c9e-a2a8-a42f1e823d1e_zps609c6ee4.jpg