Redness spreading

Zillah

It's only day two, so this could be totally normal, but the red 'sunburned feeling' area around the tattoo is spreading outwards, in some places a good 4 inches beyond the tattoo.

Is this just a typical reaction, or do I need to go back and see my tattooist? :confused:

Thanks. It's really only been 30 hours since finished on a 7.5hr session so I guess I should expect some trauma but I've never had a large piece before so this experience feels totally new. The fact that the red area was spreading outwards was worrying me a bit.

It's only day two, so this could be totally normal, but the red 'sunburned feeling' area around the tattoo is spreading outwards, in some places a good 4 inches beyond the tattoo.

Is this just a typical reaction, or do I need to go back and see my tattooist? :confused:

My arm swelled and bruised pretty intensely - likely the same. Like anything keep an eye on it.

a 7.5 hour session in such a localized area is monster. The trauma your arm must have taken is wild.

When I had my half sleeve done my artist went so hard on my arm that it ballooned up quite a bit and I had big arms already. It took nearly a week for the redness and swelling to go away, but I wasn't concerned about infection. I feel like you are hinting about that in a nervous way?

My advice that is often overlooked is keep yourself well hydrated beyond the typical tattoo after care, that has always helped me heal up quicker.

If you are genuinely concerned I would consult someone that can give you more concrete answers

Thanks @misterJ - I was a little nervous about infection but at the same time my rational nurse-brain was kicking in, saying "you don't have a fever."

I just didn't really know what to expect, I think. I knew it would be red, painful, and weepy, then scabby and itchy, but wasn't sure about time frames and certainly didn't expect to feel 'hit by a truck' the day after.

Oh well- now I know for next time :cool:

Thanks @misterJ

I just didn't really know what to expect, I think. I knew it would be red, painful, and weepy, then scabby and itchy, but wasn't sure about time frames and certainly didn't expect to feel 'hit by a truck' the day after.

that took me by such surprise the first time as well. My first tattoo was a large piece and I did not expect such a toll taken on my mind/body once the endorphin rush and adrenaline wore away. I honestly felt like I had the flu.

I felt similar but not as bad when my back was outlined, but after my 5 hours last night I feel fine today... so who knows.

My first tattoo was a large piece and I did not expect such a toll taken on my mind/body once the endorphin rush and adrenaline wore away. I honestly felt like I had the flu.

Yeah, tattoo hangover. Ugh. My first session was really long and unexpectedly trashed me afterwards. I was so dehydrated - keep drinking fluids! Only one of mine swelled enough to need icing. Not sure why that is but ibuprofen is good.

@Zillah

how is your arm doing today? hopefully the redness has gone done along with the tenderness.

Aww I'm touched you thought of me, thank you!

It's still tender and red, but increasingly less so. The redness on the half of the tattoo closest to the body has gone yellow, so I guess it was bruising. The other half is still catching up! It's getting really tight and tingly, the precursor to scabbing/itching maybe?

Yeah, bruising. The tightness may be that you are still swollen. One of mine was swollen for about 3 days - the one closer to my ribs and on more sensitive skin. The needles get into the dermis where the receptors for touch and pain are located. With the swelling and healing, could be that the tingling is due to the swelling/localized trauma and the beginning of healing in that area. You still have a bit of time before the itchies start. :D

Yeah, tattoo hangover. Ugh. My first session was really long and unexpectedly trashed me afterwards. I was so dehydrated - keep drinking fluids! Only one of mine swelled enough to need icing. Not sure why that is but ibuprofen is good.

Oh that's happened to me too! I always feel vaguely trashed the next day!

Glad to hear it's improving @Zillah

With areas I get hit hard & cop bruising, redness & inflammation, I hit 2 pumping hot showers a day. Hand wash the area with a soft body wash, pat dry & then just the lightest application of paw paw cream, which has a local anaesthetic & reduces inflammation.

If I don't swell too bad, the same application as above minus the ointment. Just let it dry heal.

I had a solid hand piece done 4 days ago. The hand got slammed! Did my usual for the first 2 days. Now, leaving it flake dry heal, & it's healing a treat.