Hello from a tattoo-nervous person!!

keekatzz

For something like that, i'd wait a few years, and if it still "resonates" with you, then get it. You'd be surprised how what you think you love at 18 will change and that's a lot of real estate to regret on.

I'd probably have METALLICA scrawled across my back if i went big at 18 and would have regretted it by 25.

However, that's just my opinion and YMMV. :D

I'd probably have METALLICA scrawled across my back if i went big at 18 and would have regretted it by 25.

However, that's just my opinion and YMMV. :D

Similarly, 18 year old me would gone for a huge Korn back piece. I had it all planned from the time I was 16 until whenever it was that I realized that was dumb.

"Aging" a tattoo idea a while is never a bad thing.

I think a smaller piece that can serve as a time stamp for an important time in your life would be cool, even a Korn tattoo (small one) you can look back and smile at IMO.

God... I would have had skateboard/snowboard/hockey/slipknot tattoos. it would have been as great as Mr. cool ice.

Some nice designs on the Pinterest link.

Some good suggestions to start with a small design pattern that stands on it's own and then expand in the future if you want. The very 1st picture in the Pinterest link is a good example.

18 year old me would have had a huge circle with a dumb ass quote and some lame ass island scene or something in the center of my back, ruining it for me forever!!

Actually 18 year old me put a small flower on my upper back that is now covered by a big ol' rock. I think it's visible in one of my gallery pics. And 17 year old me put the kanji character for "unity" on her hip. (Op ivy not Queen latifah...not that it matters but someone just got aggro with me re song references...I just picked it off a wall guys...bc I was 17...) (but also I'm not covering it up! Never!!)

I'm gonna say something...in writing...on the Internet where it will stay forever....I'm into cheetah print. If I could figure out a way to pop some on while still looking good/classy/timeless (haha there are so many haters whose eyes are popping at my word choice right now) I would do it! As it stands I can't think of anywhere (yet) that I would be permanently okay with the cheetah print on me. I have good tattoos and a good look going so far - not gonna mess with that (yet).

It's fad-dy and I see it on a lot of young women as a first tattoo, or as part of a first tattoo, so until I see some well aged cheetah print I'm gonna stick to wearing it and not having it tattooed. (But I still like it...!)

Okay, there was your sat morning thread derail. <tips hat> ladies, gentlemen, I'll be here all night.

I know your motivation for getting tattooed is a lot different than most people's, but still, I would wait until at least the mid 20s if I were you, before deciding to cover the entire back. I don't know much about otherkin or anything, will you still be interested in looking like a jaguar when you're 40? I guess I just can't relate so I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, but it's worth thinking about. What about a good shirt or jacket with jaguar print? Would that do the same thing, or does it have to be a tattoo?

That being said, aesthetically, I don't think there's anything wrong with a jaguar print tattoo. If I were you I'd talk to people who are into doing blackwork, like this 2Spirit Tattoo | Blackwork & Dotwork Tattoos

@beez You like leopard print?? Get the fuck out! :p

Also Radeo was the first person I thought about with this thread

Just posting to echo the other sentiments about how I would have never gotten any of my first tattoos if I had the option to do it all over again at this point in my life. I don't hate any of them, just would have gotten better shit. You'll probably feel the same way, but that's your call! Definitely urge you to start small. A back piece is no joke for your first tattoo, and especially at 18.

@ Keekatzz. We all have a different mindset why we choose to tattoo. When you have a different kind of motivation, you must expect not to receive the feedback you were probably looking for.

I don't explain my mindset why I do what I do, & I don't expect to understand your motivation.

I got my first tattoos at 17, which I still have & still love. I wouldn't get them now, but I wouldn't cover them also.

Some though, I have. Faaarkin, who cares.

If your dead set on leopard print down the back. Do it. Just do your research with a tattooer who can execute the design solid & kick arse.

You see, for most of us, the back tattoo is prime real estate and holds a very special meaning to us, but your motivation to tattoo is different to those of us who understand this, so walk the path you feel you need to.

Good luck with it.

@ Keekatzz. We all have a different mindset why we choose to tattoo. When you have a different kind of motivation, you must expect not to receive the feedback you were probably looking for.

I don't explain my mindset why I do what I do, & I don't expect to understand your motivation.

I got my first tattoos at 17, which I still have & still love. I wouldn't get them now, but I wouldn't cover them also.

Some though, I have. Faaarkin, who cares.

If your dead set on leopard print down the back. Do it. Just do your research with a tattooer who can execute the design solid & kick arse.

You see, for most of us, the back tattoo is prime real estate and holds a very special meaning to us, but your motivation to tattoo is different to those of us who understand this, so walk the path you feel you need to.

Good luck with it.

+1 to this entire thing

And @beez I agree, the Op Ivy is awesome and should never be covered.

Also, I realize this is the kind of post I usually hate, agreeing without adding anything, but you've all said it so well and laid down some very solid advice already.

Pretend this is a witty and useful sentence.

EDIT: not gonna lie, "junkies runnin dry" came up on my spotify right after I posted this reply. And yea, I did reword that all to rhyme repeatedly... sorry.

To be clear it's just an op ivy reference...and I could have assigned any other contrived meaning to it, that's just the one I was thinking of (you know, back when it felt necessary to justify every aspect of the tattoo as spiritual and meaningful and blah blah) when perusing the wall of flash at the shop.

A friend and I met in NYC when we were 17 to get tattoos. At this time - Sept or Oct '00 - you could walk into just about any place in the city* and get a really good fake ID from a number of different Northeastern states, with a hologram and everything. I took my fresh fake ID in my hot little hand and my friend and I hightailed it to the place I had found on the internet, Andromeda on St. Mark's Place (ahhh it's still there!!!)...holy shit I just realized/remembered that this is a story in two parts...the first trip I went to get pierced.

Had the ID, ran to the shop, and the guy called me out instantly for having a fake ID - he was from PA and recognized that the hologram (that damn hologram) was off...and then the other guy showed me HIS fake ID, they asked how old I really was, and went ahead with the piercing. (Which maybe to adult me is a little creepy, but 17 year old me was glad for the attention and aid in my rebellion, or whatever it was...my individuation...)

The subsequent trip, a week or two later, I went to the tattoo part of Andromeda with my fake ID, and that's when I got my first tattoo. My friend - the same friend from earlier - and I were going to get an Alice (on her) and a White Rabbit (on me) but of course we just really wanted tattoos, and didn't really care, and the ones we wanted were time and cost prohibitive, and so we saw these really cool kanji characters on the wall...BOOM. Le first tattoo. (Hers was for "courage". Damn, but we 17 year old white girls are predictable).

Anyway. So instead of the cool rude boy tattooed on my hip, it's a straight from the sheet kanji character, but kind of an awesome story, looking back on it.

The attached is a pic of my first tattoo...it is 14 years old!!! And that spot in the middle...I remember when the chunk of color fell right out of it...I bumped into something sharp when healing...and thought "Oh I guess you CAN remove them" ahahahaha. The POV is me looking down on it, I guess making it upside down in the pic.

Energy.jpg

*my assumption based on the fact that 17 year old girls could do it...

I was 17 when I got my first real crush on an unobtainable woman, her name was Alex Herman and she was the hottest punk rock girl/woman I had ever seen. She was also the first really heavily tattooed woman I had seen with amazing work, way cooler than the less than mediocre black and grey punk tattoos I had seen on friends and at shows. She had a cheetah print forearm and for some reason is still ingrained in my mind. Therefor I have a slight bias and don't mind cheetah print all that much.

I'd still get the rude boy logo. Also the "Let's Go" fist. However, I do believe that originally was a piece of Mike Malone flash that said "Fist City." Loretta Lynn is awesome.

I can safely say that my RHW wolf was sorta inspired by "...And Out Come The Wolves."

Also, I have friends that do an OPIV cover band called Too Hectic. Guys from Paint it Black and others around here. May have been the most fun punk set I saw last year. Haha.

I was 17 when I got my first real crush on an unobtainable woman, her name was Alex Herman and she was the hottest punk rock girl/woman I had ever seen. She was also the first really heavily tattooed woman I had seen with amazing work, way cooler than the less than mediocre black and grey punk tattoos I had seen on friends and at shows. She had a cheetah print forearm and for some reason is still ingrained in my mind. Therefor I have a slight bias and don't mind cheetah print all that much.

@irezumi was that the Alex Herman who used to tattoo and was married to Eddy Deutsche.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like she has her mind made up just to get the print.If years from now you don't like it,then you can always cover it up with a big panther.There's a lot of good tattooers in Portland.It's just finding an artist that you click with,and is willing to tattoo that on an 18yr.old that has no other tattoos.

http://instagram.com/ginhix she does real nice work..

http://atomic.ws/?page_id=7