Fitness!

Renzie

Nice on the boxing, used to do a bit of it myself. Nothing serious, but got out of the habit of it a long time ago, really must get back to it. Though kind of self conscious, stupid I know. My first bf taught me how to box, he was a bare knuckle fighter aside from boxing with gloves. Still remember his face to this day, when he asked me to punch him as hard as I could...

He definitely regretted that move *cough* He got a black eye for his trouble, in my defence he did ask me and I was 17 at the time. He was 25, he really should have known better! I'm a southpaw and he hadn't realised it.

I loved it :) Great for getting pent-up aggression out.

And before you ask how did he not realise I'm a southpaw? I was one of the ones who was forced to write with their right hand at school. So he presumed I was orthodox.

Did a light workout early this morning just so I'm not super sore when I go back in a regular routine next Monday.

Feeling great and It's day number 3 taking Glucosamine, the sore hips are actually going away slightly. Maybe it's a placebo or maybe the vitamins are working. Either way, it feels good to finally have this pain going away.

Not going to work out until Thursday or Friday for another light workout.

I hope everyone has a good workout week. :o

First training session this morning before work, after having two weeks off due to illness and tattoos. Decided to go hard or go home and smashed out a leg session with some plyometrics thrown in at the end. Ralph almost made an appearance, it was a very close thing. Looking forward to walking tomorrow.

did you ever try minimalist shoes - vibram five fingers - most people think it would exacerbate an issue but i found it to be quite the opposite - of course a lbreak will do you right also

I have been running on Minimalist for the past year, usually around 15-20 miles a week and did a few half marathons in them. I recently weened myself off them and switched to some Asics. My run times are a lot slower (Minimalist are like grease lighting man) but I think my 40 year old self will thank me for the switch one day. Knees feel a lot better now. If you wanted to go Minimalist, I suggest looking at a pair of Merrells the worked great for me.

i have merrell vapor gloves model - very minimalist - love em

but for running i have been using five fingers for about 5 years i think

cant picture using anything else

woukd love to go total barefoot - especially for a marathon

but it takes a lot of work to get yourself to that point

fartherest i have done on the road total BF was 10 miles

and lets just say i paid harshly for that one

How do you feel about the overall wear and tear minimalist have on your legs. I'm toying with going back to them. A lot of conflicting info out there on the safety of bf running. It took me about 6 months to build up to it, but my run times were exceptionally lower in minimalists.

i'm probably slower in minimalists - but i'm slow in general ;)

as far as wear and tear - i have been good so far

i actually switched over after developing runners knee

of course i read 'born to run' and the whole movement was taking off etc

they're not for everyone thats for sure

and i had some plantars issues a few years ago too (strassburg socks helped big time with that)

but to me - the best thing about them is the 'road feel' -love that feeling of running on the road and feeling every nook and crannie of the road

as for wear and tear issues - i also think the best thing i did was really to get cross training

i do run, weights, paddleboard, bike, skateboard, core work

just try to move the body and if possible get outside to do it each day

the five fingers have several models - lots of variety - i have road, trail, water models

i even wear minimlist at work too (vivobarefoot dharmas)

great forum / site for such discussion is birthdayshoes.com

• 3 weeks later...

Nowhere near any of you with running, but as mentioned earlier I picked up running on a whim after reading about the C25K programme on here...swapped to zombies run 5k in the meantime as that's a bit more fun to listen to, but rather proud to say I'm still on it! I decided that I'll reward myself with kicking off the next tattoo once I've done my first 5k run....makes a rather good incentive I noticed, haha!

Just completed week 6, so not too long to go anymore I hope...

i have merrell vapor gloves model - very minimalist - love em

but for running i have been using five fingers for about 5 years i think

cant picture using anything else

woukd love to go total barefoot - especially for a marathon

but it takes a lot of work to get yourself to that point

fartherest i have done on the road total BF was 10 miles

and lets just say i paid harshly for that one

Man, i can't imagine running on a hard surface in 5 fingers. I have a pair that i use for kickboxing and the gym but every time i even walk on concrete i just think "these things are never hitting the road".

Nowhere near any of you with running, but as mentioned earlier I picked up running on a whim after reading about the C25K programme on here...swapped to zombies run 5k in the meantime as that's a bit more fun to listen to, but rather proud to say I'm still on it! I decided that I'll reward myself with kicking off the next tattoo once I've done my first 5k run....makes a rather good incentive I noticed, haha!

Just completed week 6, so not too long to go anymore I hope...

awesome - 5k's are the most fun

running communities / competitions are often filled with very cool people

very chill group typically

in contrast to the cycling crowd - which is also filled with good people

but also plenty of 'my gear is better than yours' types

- - - Updated - - -

Man, i can't imagine running on a hard surface in 5 fingers. I have a pair that i use for kickboxing and the gym but every time i even walk on concrete i just think "these things are never hitting the road".

well its advised to start really slow / short distances with minimalist gear

and build up slowly

not that i listened to that

hehe but i paid the price ouch

well its advised to start really slow / short distances with minimalist gear

and build up slowly

not that i listened to that

hehe but i paid the price ouch

If i'm being really honest with myself it's just an excuse not to run - i absolutely hate running! Even in the gym i'll hit the bike or the cross trainer over the treadmill all day every day. Don't think i've actually used the treadmill once.

hey thats cool - do what u like

so many options out there to have fun w your fitness regime

i love paddleboard and skateboard too

but i'm into anything that gets me outside

I can't argue with that man, any chance to get in to the great outdoors usually i'm right on board with ya. I've got a close friend who runs 10 miles a day and i'll never understand how he can do it, but it's all just personal preference i guess.

...swapped to zombies run 5k in the meantime as that's a bit more fun to listen to

It always tickles me to see references to this app in the wild. I am actually a character in that series. (Season 1, anyway.) I am Runner Six. It uses my name and everything, heh. Crazy that I still haven't finished it, but I stress-fractured my tibia a while back and never went back to running. Nice work sticking with it! It's so rewarding to see actual progress. I'd love to do it again.

I signed up for a 'train to climb' thing for the coming year, though. I can't imagine climbing Mt. Rainier at this point, but that's exactly what I signed a program commitment to do come the end of August. The training program begins in March. I am starting my 'train to begin the train to climb training program' training early, just in case. :p

awesome - 5k's are the most fun

running communities / competitions are often filled with very cool people

very chill group typically

Well, hadn't even thought of running with other people so far. I'll be super glad if I just manage to somehow survive the last run of the programme, which should be 5k....although, I think there is a weekly 5k in my local park...hm...

- - - Updated - - -

It always tickles me to see references to this app in the wild. I am actually a character in that series. (Season 1, anyway.) I am Runner Six. It uses my name and everything, heh.

Wow, that's so random to meet you on LST! Cool, I now know that Runner Six has awesome tattoos, so it'll be even more fun to run with 'you' ;-)

• 3 months later...

I started riding bmx last spring and have picked it up again recently. That shit feels like a workout for sure! Arms, core and legs! It is a blast and feels so good! I love it!

I'm not currently crossfitting but I always see and feel such immediate results from those workouts...I feel so good from all the riding I've been doing that I think adding crossfit or weight lifting back in would just feel like the best thing in the entire world.

• 3 months later...

Did a couple rotations of Insanity and P90X in undergrad, I enjoyed it and got quite lean, but took a break and stuck to pullups/pushups/dumbbells workouts off and on for a couple years. Finally back into the swing of things with a power lifting routine over the past two months. I really enjoying it and seeing my numbers go up is great motivation! I did a couple sets of 1x340lb on squat @165 body weight today. Getting better!

• 2 months later...

Been meditating every day for the past two weeks. Feels really good to get back to my old practice after I had to stop due to turbulent life and a messed up back late this spring. It's amazing the effect, even now when I feel very "out of it" and have a hard time concentrating and sucessfully being in the mind frame where I try to go. I've slept really good these past two weeks and I usually have problem sleeping. Also I feel much calmer and centered throughout the day, I worry less. While I sit, trying to meditate, I come up with solutions to problems spontaneusly, just from sitting down and turning away from distractions and inputs. Now I just started to add extra minutes, hopefully I'll be back to sitting for 30 min within 2 months or so. Mental fitness

Also I've been reading Paul Wades book Convict Conditioning, on body weight exercising, and will make time today to write a training regime for myself to follow. Each of the 6 main exercises has 10 steps where you start from the bottom and work your way up over time as you gain strenght in muscles and joints. So it's going to be a schedule of 6 exercises and once I can do about 3 sets of 20-30 reps on each exercise I'll make a new one with step 2.

Hopefully this will be good for me, I never liked going to the gym and have tried training at home but never commited to a regime.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As of late, with my busy schedule I have been doing only bodyweight (prison) exercises.

I run a 5x5 regiment regularly, but with these exercises and no gym; I needed to modify it.

I have been doing squats, dips, pushups, lunges, walking (about 6 mi) whenever at work, and some advanced stretching (yoga). I workout 3-4 times a week and for approx. 30min.

So far its worked very well, and saves money for more tattoos!