Fitness!

Renzie

I started a light work-out regimen when I got serious about losing weight last March. I'm doing push-ups, sit-ups, crunches and several stretching/toning exercises I learned in the Army - 26 years of morning PT taught me something at least! I walk around quite a bit at work and have lots of stairs in our building - always avoid the elevators, too. I'm up to 85 push-ups and 100 sit-ups, 40 crunches X 3 - front, left and right obliques and at least 30 reps of the other exercises. Then I finish out with light weights - 3 sets of 25 reps of 4 exercises where I focus on biceps, triceps, deltoids and pecs. I've dropped 35 pounds now and have toned up quite a bit - not bad for a 61 year old.

• 1 month later...

I was in the gym 3 days a week until my 10/1 heart surgery (yeah, still milking that...). The days leading up to my heart attack, I skipped the gym twice. I wasn't feeling right. 4 days in an induced coma and a total of 10 in the hospital takes a negative toll on the body. My skin on my arms and legs was slack from not eating well.

Now I'm doing a lot better and headed for cardiac rehab in January. Funny how you miss something once you can't do it. I considered going back to the gym, my cardiac doctor wants me to walk a mile a day only.

I eat well today. Lots of fish, no sugar, no salt added, no bad carbs. High protein, good carbs, salads, whole grain pasta is in. I've lost a total of 30 pounds and my clothes fit me. I take medicine for high blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rhythm and of course aspirin.

Recent blood work showed me to be still slightly anemic, which is slowly improving since my discharge. I take a men's multi vitamin, fish oil, a test booster and glucosamine for joint relief.

I feel good but tire quickly if I do too much. I'm looking to be back lifting weights, which may be delayed until April. I'm going to buy a bicycle for myself, single speed, no frills. There are plenty of good places to ride around me. The doctors all say that my good recovery comes from being in relatively good shape prior to my heart attack. Where they took the vein from my leg, that was almost healed when I came out of my coma. My 10" chest incision healed fast too.  

• 1 month later...

(I posted these questions as a reply in another thread, but it was in the Initiation forum and got buried pretty quickly so I hope it's okay to cross-post here.)

I do gymnastics and aerial silks, and I'm worried about how the intense friction/frequent bruising/silk burns that come with these sports (especially the latter) might affect the integrity of my tattoos long-term, even after they've healed. For example, my new tattoo is on the back of my calf, and when we climb the silks for warm up, we descend back to the ground by wrapping the fabric tightly around one leg and sliding to the ground, which causes a lot of friction where the silk is wrapped, including against the back of my leg where the tattoo is.  I have two questions:

1) Could this kind of repetitive friction damage (e.g. cause accelerated fading) the work over time?  What about repetitive bruising?

2) This is a little moot now that I'm two months healed, but for future work, how long should I wait to subject new pieces to this kind of friction?  To foam block gymnastics pits?  There's plenty of info here and elsewhere online about the potential risks of going to a germy gym/sweating on a new tattoo, but I'm specifically concerned with exposing it to abrasive surfaces like gymnastics floor carpet, beam suede, pit foam, and aerial silks.

For the record, I am aware that I worry too much.  This forum has already done wonders in easing my mind about many other tattoo-related worries, so I figured I throw this out there.  Thanks!  And yay fitness!