Fitness!

Renzie

The only fitness thread a search turned up was ancient so here we go.

Anybody into fitness? Weight loss, running, weight lifting, yoga, anything. I want to know what you like and what you're doing with it lately!

Me: I'm working on losing weight and getting stronger, but I also just really enjoy working out. Bodyweight or free weights. I want to set up a home gym eventually. :)

I read the Nerd Fitness blog regularly and do the nerdiest workouts possible, so if anyone else is a fitness nerd I automatically want to be besties lol

Yes! I started boxing about a year ago. I started at my gym on the heavy/speed bag and eventually joined a muay thai boxing gym in September (I only do western boxing though because an elbow to the face is not appealing to me). Last night I finally started beginners sparring but didn't get to punch anyone or be punched in the face. Apparently they like you to work up to that hahaha. I really love it. It's pretty much the only time I get to focus on just one thing and basically meditate. It's also fun to do something physical to work towards something that's goal is not weight loss.

I've always wanted to try boxing! My work hours dont really permit going to a local boxing gym, unfortunately. Is there any benefit to getting a bag and starting at home? I'd worry I was doing everything completely wrong if I tried on my own.

There is a yoga thread somewhere, but whatever, that's what I do! I've been practicing Bikram for close to 12 years now...can't seem to live without it any more. Tried a month of Bar Method and liked it ok. If time and money weren't issues, I'd do both, but having to choose, I'm back at the hot yoga. I get more out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@TrixieFaux I cannot get into yoga. I try and try and try. I even did a 90 day Bikram challenge a few years ago, at the time the most mentally resting practice for me, and it just doesn't jibe. Oh well!! (It is always good to challenge yourself, and even if it wasn't for me I still benefited from being active and more in touch with myself!!)

Sorta like @MrsGougeTheEyes said re boxing, I find that I can meditate and focus on one thing when I'm doing a more strenuous activity. I like Crossfit a lot for that, but I like to be well rounded and am looking for other activities to add to my...playlist? (yep, first word I thought of there...).

Is boxing pretty easy to start without a mentor/trainer? Sounds like it might be my speed. And sometimes it's good to hit things :p.

@beez Yoga doesn't work for me either! I've tried so many times! If you have a heavy bag and some time to read up on basic techniques it's pretty easy to start on your own. When you want to take it to the next level and get off the bag and work on your technique that's when you'll want to start at a gym. There are just too many things to be doing at the same time to not have someone watching and correcting you. And the conditioning for boxing gets you in to great shape.

@beez Yoga doesn't work for me either! I've tried so many times! If you have a heavy bag and some time to read up on basic techniques it's pretty easy to start on your own. When you want to take it to the next level and get off the bag and work on your technique that's when you'll want to start at a gym. There are just too many things to be doing at the same time to not have someone watching and correcting you. And the conditioning for boxing gets you in to great shape.

I have no bag but I have time and interest...I'm gonna see what's available around me!!

Good thread guys. I love being a strong ass beast!!! (And a strong assed one, now that I'm thinking about it).

I just sorta like being fierce and feeling in control of/super in touch with my body. Who knows which is the chicken or the egg in that equation, but it all works out.

It's possible to set a timer and hit a bag for intervals, and you'll get a metabolic hit and release some tension...

...but...

...You can't learn to box, or learn any martial art, from a book or a video, in my view. I'd really recommend a coach, the longer the better, really.

Without someone to check your form and watch you, you're risking ingraining bad habits or courting injury.

I've known guys to maintain their punching power just with bag work, and use it for fitness, but the other side of it is that without a moving, reacting pad man or sparring partner to test you it's hard to learn to land any of your striking effectively. You also never learn the hardest part of boxing: Defence.

If there's no boxing coach nearby try an MMA gym or Muay Thai gym. You're unlikely to find yourself being elbowed in the face or beaten up... Possibly unless you ended up fighting in a professional bout. In training in most clubs safety is key, and most people have jobs to go in to the day after a sparring session. With 16oz gloves, gum shields and groin guards it's safe enough.

If someone does want boxing DVDs then Donn Familton's "Superior boxing" is good. There are specific DVDs just on bag work also.

^ agree

I did mma for a number of years, and your first day sparring was quite the wake up call. I have the itch to get back into it, at least BJJ and muay thai again. Budget is tight, but it's always worth it.

Anyone new to a bag, learn to properly wrap your wrists up and get some proper gloves. That investment will save you some pain as your body adjusts to the new demands placed on it.

I have no bag but I have time and interest...I'm gonna see what's available around me!!

Good thread guys. I love being a strong ass beast!!! (And a strong assed one, now that I'm thinking about it).

I just sorta like being fierce and feeling in control of/super in touch with my body. Who knows which is the chicken or the egg in that equation, but it all works out.

That's why I started. Also, my trainer is a woman and I get to work with a bunch of other ladies and it's just (with the risk of sounding cheesy) empowering to kick some ass with them.

@TrixieFaux I cannot get into yoga. I try and try and try. I even did a 90 day Bikram challenge a few years ago, at the time the most mentally resting practice for me, and it just doesn't jibe. Oh well!! (It is always good to challenge yourself, and even if it wasn't for me I still benefited from being active and more in touch with myself!!)

I hear you. I tried many types of exercise (different types of aerobics classes, running, etc.) and even different types of yoga and was always bored or found them to be too much of a chore. Something just clicked w/Bikram, it's the perfect thing for me. It's good to find a thing that helps you in life, whatever it is!

^ agree

I did mma for a number of years, and your first day sparring was quite the wake up call. I have the itch to get back into it, at least BJJ and muay thai again. Budget is tight, but it's always worth it.

Anyone new to a bag, learn to properly wrap your wrists up and get some proper gloves. That investment will save you some pain as your body adjusts to the new demands placed on it.

I wish I would have realized sooner gloves protect hands not head. I luckily have very little hand issues and what i do have i attribute from from checking kicks. But please any those that are interested in sparring wear head gear. I never did until told to do so by a coach several yrs ago. It was too hard to get used to (felt like a squid attached to my head) 10 + years of bad habits are hard to break

Yep, jealous of all the boxing talk. I'm obligated to do it now. :)

In the meantime I'm doing a couple 30 day challenges in addition to my usual and am finding the plank surprisingly difficult. Up to 40 seconds or so it's easy enough, but much more than that gets a bit hard. Clearly I have no core muscles

Yep, jealous of all the boxing talk. I'm obligated to do it now. :)

In the meantime I'm doing a couple 30 day challenges in addition to my usual and am finding the plank surprisingly difficult. Up to 40 seconds or so it's easy enough, but much more than that gets a bit hard. Clearly I have no core muscles

What does the 30 day plank challenge consist of? Planking for an increasing amount of time every day?

My girlfriend and I are currently doing a 4 week paleo diet challenge. No dairy, grains, legumes, sugar, processed foods, or alcohol until June. So far so good but lots of family events coming up that are going to make me wish I could have a drink.

49567627.jpg

What does the 30 day plank challenge consist of? Planking for an increasing amount of time every day?

My girlfriend and I are currently doing a 4 week paleo diet challenge. No dairy, grains, legumes, sugar, processed foods, or alcohol until June. So far so good but lots of family events coming up that are going to make me wish I could have a drink.

49567627.jpg

Exactly. By day 30 it ends up at something ridiculous like 5 minutes. By then I will very likely give it up just because that sounds incredibly boring but we'll see. :)

I tried the paleo thing and found that I spent so much time worrying about food that there was no way it was worth it. Nutritionally, it seems mostly sound, but it really took south of the enjoyment out of my life that I decided not to care. Have you had similar feelings at all?

Not trying to discourage you or anything, I'm honestly wondering if I'm the only person in the universe so wimpy about it.

Exactly. By day 30 it ends up at something ridiculous like 5 minutes. By then I will very likely give it up just because that sounds incredibly boring but we'll see. :)

I tried the paleo thing and found that I spent so much time worrying about food that there was no way it was worth it. Nutritionally, it seems mostly sound, but it really took south of the enjoyment out of my life that I decided not to care. Have you had similar feelings at all?

Not trying to discourage you or anything, I'm honestly wondering if I'm the only person in the universe so wimpy about it.

i'm not finding it terribly difficult so far because I prepare my lunches at the beginning of the week and I don't mind eating pretty much the same thing for lunch everyday. All my meals are a combination of meat or eggs, veggies or fruits, and a fat (avocado, nuts, or olive oil) so I feel very satisfied after each meal. Toughest part is avoiding the baked goods my coworker seem to bring in almost daily and now that the weather is getting nicer I beginning to think about ice cream. After this month's challenge I'll probably be less strict and have the occasional beer, cookie, or ice cream.

Paleoish has worked for me for some time! I got lazy about preparing food recently and have been all sorts of sick. It feels great. Everyone's body is different so I am a big believer in doing what works for you - so if it is in line w your body you'll feel great. Good luck!

@BrianH @Renzie I love this book for easy, clean http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/wellfed/

www.elanaspantry.com has great SIMPLE recipes. When I started eating well I had no idea how to cook. Elanas pantry was an invaluable resource for me for even dishes as simple as roasting veggies - I couldn't even do that!

Being as I was born in Texas, raised in the great state of Oklahoma, and am a cattle rancher's (step)daughter, I DO know how to cook a steak. So I had that on lock.

For everything else - elana's pantry :p