Another new boy!

Sol James

Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum and tattoos in general. I live in the UK and love the traditional style.

I'm currently searching high and low to find an artist who's work i love. I'm aware of some if the "bigger" names but would really appreciate any tips and suggestions of other, not so well known artists..

Nice to be here!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! It looks like a great forum.

I've come here to get myself educated before I get work done!

Is work by someone like Xam or Valerie Vargas considered "traditional"? I know it sounds daft but I think it looks a lot more detailed and "fancy" than the stuff I like... Everyone says to go to all these artists (who are clearly amazing I might add) but to me they don't seem that traditional. Almost a bit cartoony! On the other side of things I've seen a bloke called Richie Clarke in Liverpool whose work seems very traditional but a bit too basic for my taste. I think I want something in between!

Sorry if I don't make sense but hey, I'm here to learn.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! It looks like a great forum.

I've come here to get myself educated before I get work done!

Is work by someone like Xam or Valerie Vargas considered "traditional"? I know it sounds daft but I think it looks a lot more detailed and "fancy" than the stuff I like... Everyone says to go to all these artists (who are clearly amazing I might add) but to me they don't seem that traditional. Almost a bit cartoony! On the other side of things I've seen a bloke called Richie Clarke in Liverpool whose work seems very traditional but a bit too basic for my taste. I think I want something in between!

Sorry if I don't make sense but hey, I'm here to learn.

I understand what you're saying, but I know if you brought in some old flash or something heavy traditional, any of those artists would be able to accommodate you. Just be clear about what you like and don't like. Also Chad Koeplinger often visits Frith St. and would be perfect for your taste. But I'm not sure how much he's going to be traveling anymore. Frith St. has a lot of guest artists all the time. Also Jordan at Frith St. does great traditional work.

Thanks for the help people. I'm already learning!

Is it OK to tell the artist what you do and don't like? People sometimes say you have to find an artist you like and let them do their thing...

Is it ok, for instance to tell the artist what colours you want?

One artist I like does lovely stuff but I wish he did a bit more of that shading technique ( I think they call it Whipshading or something!).

As Hayden Rose has said, if I choose a great artist I'm sure they can do what I'm after.

I'm liking these artists at the moment but only one of them lives in the UK!

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

As someone whose been tattooed by Richie, I would nominate him. Despite you thinking his work somewhat too basic, I assure you he can do anything from "cartoony" traditional to a little bit more detailed traditional.

I believe he's been tattooing 20 years, extremely knowledgeable and personable, if that helps.

Hi mate. I've just been looking through Richie's Instagram. Everything on there is the kind if "simple traditional"! Is there any work of his online that is more detailed like you say...

I might give him a call anyway. Liverpool isn't too far away fro me.

Just found this guy, Tony Nillson who I think is amazing but he lives in Norway! Bollocks!

Instagram

• 5 months later...

Hi all. Joined the forum a few weeks back and introduced my self here. I'm still in the learning process and find the whole tattoo world facintating! I have a consultation booked with Andrea Giulimondi at The Family Business on Saturday and can't wait. I'd like to know if anyone has had work done by him. Particularly interested in how the work has heeled....

• 7 months later...