Tattoo Outline Raised

khubilai

Perez, I have dark hair, and olive skin. I don't know if it is an inner body reaction like an allergy, or a surface reaction, because it feels like a scab now. Called the Dermatologist yesterday, got an appointment in the middle of June. I also made some marks with a sharpie on my foot last week, no reaction. Just baffled by this, and in the meantime, I can't go ahead and make another appointment for the color. The artist saw my arm like this a few years ago, he also thought it was weird, and wouldn't do the coloring for it, as he didn't want to chew it up.

hey khubilai just out of curiosity are you a redhead? I have found that for whatever reason really fair-skinned readheads tend to be more prone to super sensitivity with their skin.

there was a medical study that came out last year showing that red heads have more sensitive skin. it has something to do with the gene that gives them red pigmented hair if i remember correctly...

Is it only in the areas that are grey lined? Looks like it from the pics, could be you have a problem with witch hazel, you might also have a latex allergy, did he use latex gloves. these are both a couple of situations I have seen. either way it may take a little bit for the tattoo to settle in, try the benadryl..... 90 percent of the time it works all the time.

Dave

No Dave, the entire outline is raised. The outline he did very lightly looks grey, because the redness is showing through I believe. I don't know if he used latex gloves, but I thought latex is a common allergen to many people, and most don't use them.

I found another dermotologist who was able to see me today. He thinks I might be a bit allergic to something in the ink, but I don't understand why it would only be raised on the outline. Shaded areas are fine. Anyway, he prescribed me a topical steroid cream. I'm contemplating weather I should use it or not, or just give it a few months, and see if my body can't take care of it on its own. Last time I used any steroid creams, they brought it down for the few weeks I was on them, but raise shortly after I stopped.

No Dave, the entire outline is raised. The outline he did very lightly looks grey, because the redness is showing through I believe. I don't know if he used latex gloves, but I thought latex is a common allergen to many people, and most don't use them.

I found another dermotologist who was able to see me today. He thinks I might be a bit allergic to something in the ink, but I don't understand why it would only be raised on the outline. Shaded areas are fine. Anyway, he prescribed me a topical steroid cream. I'm contemplating weather I should use it or not, or just give it a few months, and see if my body can't take care of it on its own. Last time I used any steroid creams, they brought it down for the few weeks I was on them, but raise shortly after I stopped.

i'd say throw a few more weeks at it... just my two cents. does it itch or burn? sometimes my tattoos even, they've healed, still get raised and start to itch in certain areas (my chest piece close to my sternum especially). always figured that there was something in the ink that just didn't sit right with my skin in that area or that a reaction gets triggered by something else (nickel usually in my case)

also, maybe it has to do with the differences in the process for shading vs. outline. maybe the outline is further in your skin than the shading?

Don't try different things. If your skin is irritated, doing new healing things to it expecting fast results is wrong. Just keep it clean and dry at this point and let it chill.

OOOOOOR.....

Go see a doctor if it's really bothering you.

Those are the two best pieces of advice in here.

• 3 months later...
Will try that RockelMan, but I was thinking it was more about the sharpie ink getting pushed into the skin, rather than irritated from on top. The tattoo didn't raise until 3 days later.

Jake, one of my sessions stayed raised for a few months, otherwise it was healed for the most part in a few weeks.

Here are some pics to give an idea of what I mean. I hope the quality is OK, but I tried to show how some areas are red, and others right next to it are not. Maybe 1/3-1/2 of the whole tattoo.

I almost thought that my body was rejecting the ink. I have a similar case and some part of my wave's black outline just bulges for no apparent reasons.

At first, i thought it was allergic reaction with food, then someone told me it's because of sweat when i work out, then i read that the weather has something to do with it.

man, i really don't know why this happens???

At least we're not alone. It's been almost 4 months, and the tattoo is still raised where the artist freehanded it. The stenciled part is settled in just fine. I used a steroid cream on two separate occasions, brought it down 90%, but within a few days of coming off, it raises back up. I've heard the sweat from working out idea, but why would it only be on some parts. Last time this lasted about 5 months if I remember, and once it settled in for good, it stayed down. It's some kind of allergic reaction, I just have no idea what.

sometimes my tattoos even, they've healed, still get raised and start to itch in certain areas (my chest piece close to my sternum especially).

This definitely happens to me, and I've never really tripped about it. Like said earlier, tattoos are a pretty crazy thing to do to your body. Parts of my tattoos will itch and parts of my outline will get raised or whatever and I just kind of shrug it off with a "Wellp, that's what I get." I also have always had fairly sensitive skin.

i got a client who is just a naturally clammy dude... every tattoo hes got, doesnt matter who did it, is raised! on really humid and hot days my left wrist gets raised and really itchy in small areas. its all a part of getting tattooed. pigment is not supposed to be trapped in your skin. so there has to be a certain level of acceptability.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Very similar issue here, I got my sleeve outline done 16 days ago and everything seemed to be healing up just fine this is my second tattoo and i followed the cleaning / and vitamin A/D after care techniques i read on this site, that i did on my first rib tat. My rib tat healed up perfectly. My sleeve was healing fine until about 2 days ago when the lower half where my bicep is started to have tiny red bumps on the outline, the upper shoulder area is fine its just the lower part of the tattoo, both areas were treated with the same aftercare technique. Could this be an infection / reaction to the ink / or just be my skin sensitivity to the location of the outline since the upper shoulder area is perfectly fine. Ill try to attach some pics of what I'm talking about. Thanks Guys!

http://i.imgur.com/YUYUW0E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XXyNlay.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RTxUTlc.jpg

The ones on my ankles do that every now and again, randomly, but it doesn't last long, just goes away. I don't notice that the ones on my upper body do it ever, but I figure that's b/c they're not really in spots I can see them or mess w/them to know if they are. And, I wonder if it has to do w/being on the lower extremities, just how your body reacts to things. Your weight spends most of its time in your legs/feet and such.

• 7 years later...

So similar here, all these years later. Had a tattoo on my upper arm. All was healing fine after I had the outline done about 3 weeks ago. Then the flame lines which were freehand started to rise, itch and redden. I'm getting the shading done in 2 weeks but don't know if he'll do it or not. Any ideas what could help? I cleaned it once a day, then once dried I put Bepanthen on it. 

• 1 year later...

Glad to hear we're not alone here. I'm having a similar reaction 10 weeks after getting a new tattoo done by a guy who has done my whole arm and only this time it's raised and itchy. He used a Sharpie and a Horipen and only the freehand parts are raised. I'm thinking definitely a reaction to something in either pen.

Can anyone update on their condition and if things got better? I'm really stressing out and finding it hard to concentrate on anything else. It's really getting me down. 

Cheers,