Motorcycles

Mick Weder

04 Ninja 250. In the middle of putting some new Pirelli sport demon tires on it right now

And it is prime riding time! Too bad the coming week is forecast for all rain. The wife and I were planning a leaf ride on the BRP, but the only weekday I can get off (too crowded on weekends this time of year) is presently forecast 80% rain in Knoxville, which probably translates to 100% on the Parkway. Enjoy your little Kaw! I sometimes wish I had a little sport bike to play with, but would probably kill myself.

Thru the ether from my LP2

Spring here. Just got back from an overnighter with the boys in the middle of no where. Found a new road, didn't know about the gravel portion, but it was well worth the effort...we found a new pub, with camping facilities, and they said they'd host bands for us. Planning the next run even before the buzz of this one wears off. And, today was perfect smashing home. 25 degrees, little wind, no cops.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

I'm strongly considering selling my car and buying a motorcycle....

Because I'm on the road so much, I pretty much only use my car 1-2 times a month. Besides that, im just making a car payment (and paying for full coverage insurance) for no reason. If I sold the car and bought a bike, I would end up with a smaller loan, and could pay it off faster with the money I save on insurance.

The only downside is I've never ridden anything but a dirt bike, except a sport bike once, for about 5 minutes and quite a few broken laws. I known from a very young age I wanted a bike though, so I think I'm just gonna take the leap. Just gotta sort out some details first.

I'm strongly considering selling my car and buying a motorcycle....

Because I'm on the road so much, I pretty much only use my car 1-2 times a month. Besides that, im just making a car payment (and paying for full coverage insurance) for no reason. If I sold the car and bought a bike, I would end up with a smaller loan, and could pay it off faster with the money I save on insurance.

The only downside is I've never ridden anything but a dirt bike, except a sport bike once, for about 5 minutes and quite a few broken laws. I known from a very young age I wanted a bike though, so I think I'm just gonna take the leap. Just gotta sort out some details first.

Four wheels are nice when the weather gets ugly, but most of the time I still ride. Consider this if out of town a lot: you MUST have indoor secure storage. Motorcycles don't hold up well if stored outdoors, and are prime for theft and joy rides. Otherwise, as an old part, my full coverage including tow on a $16500 2006 GL1800 is ~$250/year in Tennessee. It's about twice that for each cage. I'm a full believer in ATGATT, in any weather. There is nothing hotter than sliding on asphalt! Most countries now have a rider education program that in a weekend or two will give street skills and smarts (and in Tennessee covers the on-road license test) to help make it more enjoyable and safer. I suggest 650-800 cc for first street bike, preferably not a sport bike.

Hmm, not sure about the storage, gonna have to look into that. The company I work for has secure parking, but its outdoor in Oregon, I hadn't thought of that. They also have a company van available for use, so if the weather is rough I could use that. And no sport bike for me, I think they're cool in that I love to go really, really fast sometimes, but i would much rather own something like a Triumph, or a Norton like my dad used to have.

And no sport bike for me, I think they're cool in that I love to go really, really fast sometimes, but i would much rather own something like a Triumph, or a Norton like my dad used to have.

Brit bikes are very cool (my first was a Triumph), but for reliability go Japanese.

I don't mind a bit of unreliability, I like to tinker and work on things. Also, I have a few good contacts who are very knowledgeable, specifically with Triumphs.

A quick search showed nowhere close to my company facility to park a bike indoors, but I discovered this

Rugged Saddle commercial - CycleShell #1:

Of which I could find nothing but fantastic reviews, including people in places like upstate NY that get a lot of snow. May be a good option, specially as I'm not looking to buy anything super special off the bat!

Just had one other thought. Driving an 18 wheeler for 3-4 weeks straight and then climbing in my fairly small Subaru can be an interesting feeling (feels like a go-kart, I find myself doing 40 in a 25 and taking corners like an F-1 driver) I'm sure the first few miles would be absurd feeling on a bike!

I don't mind a bit of unreliability, I like to tinker and work on things. Also, I have a few good contacts who are very knowledgeable, specifically with Triumphs!

That's the right idea. And TBH, reliability isn't really a factor these days. It depends how you go about it. Say for example, my '78 Triumph. At present its with my mechanic. We were having a good look at it when I picked the HD up from coming back off the Dyno. I had some old timers from the Historic MC "tinker" with it, and as much as they know these old girls inside out, I was getting really pissed off because tinkering is just that, not getting to the nuts and bolts of everything. Nothing wrong with that of course, but as mentioned, depends what ya want. With the '78, motors getting a full top end rebuild, 900 kit put in, 2 in 1, on the Dyno, upgrade coils, fuck off the points to electronic ignition, brand new wiring, primary belt drive (which have been available for early model Trumps since the late 70's), all upgrades suspension, bushes, washers, new threads in the base plate, all new modern gaskets, a full overhaul. So we'll have a modernised 78 Triumph running better than new without leaking a drop of oil.

What in saying is, all motorcycles can be reliable these days. Some are factory made reliable, others ya might just have to make that way with a few changes, so I'm with you...ride a bike that moves the soul, then work it from there. I like all motorcycles, but would never ride Japanese only because they don't aesthetically please me. Even Harley twin cans are very well made motorcycles, especially the 103's. Yes they're over priced, and yes a spend money on after market performance, but if my aim is to ride to save $$, I wouldn't ride.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

Just had one other thought. Driving an 18 wheeler for 3-4 weeks straight and then climbing in my fairly small Subaru can be an interesting feeling (feels like a go-kart, I find myself doing 40 in a 25 and taking corners like an F-1 driver) I'm sure the first few miles would be absurd feeling on a bike!

No problem. I used to come off of 3 month submarine patrols and ride as soon as I got back. Just had to be careful judging distance and speed of approaching vehicles (having not focused the eyes beyond 30 feet for three months).

I save my wrenching for my '78 GL1000 that I'm rebuilding. With 92k miles on the GL1800, I'd rather ride (btw, this one is American made) than wrench it.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great time today with my hottie riding through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Cherokee, NC for lunch, then up the Blue Ridge Parkway for the fall colors. It was great up to ~5000 ft, but we ran into heavy fog/clouds and I bailed on NC151. What a great road that is! I've got to come back when it is dry and leaf-free to straighten it out some!

@Cork good luck! I'm trying to figure out how to get my license at the moment (living on the road can be a PITA for some things) but if I can't make my first plan work, I'll be taking one of those courses as well. Honestly I would like to take one either way, but probably not for a short while if plans work out

15 hours on a course is a good start to understand the dynamics of counter steering, slow riding and emergency stopping. The next 5 years on the road is where you'll learn the awareness needed for survival. Nothing in this world beats the freedom of an open road.

Tomorrow, 20 of us are hitting an overnight camp out motorcycle and car dirt drags. 3 Rock n roll bands, open bar, good times.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

• 3 weeks later...