Motorcycles

Mick Weder

Nice one @Mick Weder

Drove up to Wadonga last weekend to pick up a Triumph Bonneville the other half had bought. Stopped in at Bright on the way back to check out the hot rod car show.

Trying to decide which direction to go for my next bike. Torn between going for a motard or the Triumph Street Triple. The Suzuki DR-Z400SM appeals to me as something I can chuck around and have fun with, however not the most ideal bike for going for a long cruise, although I believe you can change the seat on them for something more suited for long rides. I've loved the Street Triple from the first time I laid eyes on one and is probably my dream bike.

@Cork. Not too bad a job swapping out bars, but ya gotta get the right length cables to swap out also so a little fiddly there running the lines, then controls & riding position.

No, the arms don't get tired, if anything with the slammed rear, a little more compromising on the lower back, but not that much to worry about.

High bars look more awkward than what they actually are. Like, the drag bars or Weston bars have nice handling, but the Apes seem to track the bike better without having to concentrate as much on the counter steer when riding the twisties.

That's what I reckon anyway. Long gone are the days where I'd compromise comfort for kool, so it's a bonus having this motorcycle set up pretty good that captures both.

I know...sports bike riders don't understand it :). That's cool.

- - - Updated - - -

@Breakme. Go the Triple! ;)

Edited by Mick Weder
Mistake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it risky buying an old Harley? I love the look of some of the shovelheads, but I don't know what I need to be aware of. Apparently some shovels get stolen from the 1%s in my area, I don't know if that's just a myth. My first car was a horribly beat up 1968 Mustang, so I'm no stranger to turning a wrench, but this would be my first motorcycle. What are the common things I should look out for? Should a beginner rider stick to something more reliable?

Beginning to ride, I'd suggest a Japanese 500-750cc. Also taking a Basic Rider Course (free in some states and 10% insurance deduction here). They provide small (~250 cc) bikes for it. Beware that very few sellers are going to let you or a buddy test-ride without cash in-hand. If you intend to move up to HD, get a smaller Japanese cruiser to start. Every make/model/year seems to have its own good (and a few bad) points. There are reviews, manuals, and user forums online for each. I think there are at least five forums in the USA for the GL1800 GoldWing. Another three for the old '75-'79 GL1000s. I'd think there are many more for HDs.

Shovelheads would probably be less maintenance than panheads or knuckleheads, but personally I'd avoid the AMF years. Most of the HDs in our area get ~1000 miles/ year on them from bar-to-bar, so they should be low mileage. The only HD I've ever liked was the V-Rod line. At least the newest HDs have fuel injection.

• 2 months later...

Just came across this film, thanks to instagram which led me to vimeo. checked out the trailer and i'm now i'm down 12.99 and watching an awesome documentary on motorbikes.

The Greasy Hands Preachers

from the site:

This film explores the revival of manual work through the passion of motorcycle enthusiasts who have found their way to a happy life.

Shot on Super 16, Greasy Hands takes viewers all over the world, with stopovers in France, the USA, Scotland, Spain and Indonesia. The cast is a roll call of big name builders: from American-based heavyweights Roland Sands and Shinya Kimura to controversial Europeans El Solitario and Blitz Motorcycles.

Available now with the following subtitles : English, French

Upcoming subtitles : Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Portuguese.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Duc out. It needed a new rear brake and new fork seals. I went on a cold, but nice 100 mile ride over the weekend. My clutch hand is completely out of shape. Good Lord, I struggled at stop lights.

For the past few years, I've tried to an Iron Butt ride once each year. I've done 4 1000 milers in 24 hours and 1 1500 miler in 24 hours (that was a bitch!). This year I'm going to do a 1500 miler in 36 hours. Before that, though, I need to build up my neck muscles, which means more riding.

qcMicdX.jpg

I have no desire for 1000 miles a day,because I have too much fun stopping and seeing the sites. We put in around 580 miles one day last year on the way to NOLA. The miles didn't bother me but it was so boring doing mile after flat, straight interstate mile. I'd rather do 1000 curves! The Duke looks like she wants to play!

Yeah, I have no problem with the comfort and such. The Black Pearl is so easy to ride straight or twisties. It's the absolute boredom (or terror on some interstates) that gets me. If I ever get to take a trip out West when I retire.... (but I like to see the local scenery so much!) I like going through small towns and riding the back roads. An Iron Butt certificate is not something I'd treasure unless I could earn one like Yellow Wolf did on the Dragon - and I'm WAY too slow to do that! Might happen some day if the need arises, you know like have to get home for an emergency or something. But I ride for enjoyment and big road riding is not enjoyable to me. I like the 170 mile loop that I take several times every year through the GSMNP, Cherokee NC, Bryson City NC, Deal's Gap NC, back up the Dragon then Foothills Parkway. Only about 50 miles of straight roads there and back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On my ride in to work this morning, I now understand how wind chill can make 55 feel like 40. Damn that was brisk!

Yeah, wore the mesh jacket because it is forecast to be in the 80s this afternoon. REALLY thankful for the GoldWing's wind protection this morning!

• 3 years later...