From TX about to commit to full back piece.

unionthug

Hey all! Just bouncing around the intrawebs trying to do some research on after care, pain expectations, etc. for a full back tattoo I'm about to begin this weekend. So glad to have found this site!

Hey all! Just bouncing around the intrawebs trying to do some research on after care, pain expectations, etc. for a full back tattoo I'm about to begin this weekend. So glad to have found this site!

do you have any other tattoos?

backs generally not too bad, though there are some spots (spine, kidneys) that really suck. Back can hurt more due to the amount of work involved, so if you have a low pain tolerance go for the smaller sessions.

After care is the same for all tattoos, except for your back you will need someone to apply the cream for you and you should avoid sleeping on it for at least a couple of days all the way up to a week.

If you have no choice and have to do long sessions but have poor pain tolerance I recommend you asking the artist to do it in sections. This allows the artist to alternate between outline, shading etc..which can make a huge difference

Good luck!

Oz.

Thanks for the feedback. I have five other tattoos in various places and the one on my lower back hurt the most, but still wasn't unbearable. I'm pretty good with pain, but I've never gotten a piece so substantial before so we'll see how I do with that. The artist plans to do most of the outline in the first session with follow-up sessions to finish and/or color in.

I think the toughest part will be that I live alone and will only have access to a friend to help with after care for the first two days.

Such nice folks on here!

Oh no way, well not yet at least. For now top of the shoulders to just above my waistline. I'm going to John Gloyne @ Hot Stuff tattoos in Asheville, NC this weekend for the first session. Will def post up progress pics as it comes along; I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions during the healing process.

Yeah, I'm a little nervous about the pain, but mostly it's ALL I can think about everyday. I'm so excited to finally get started.

Oh, man. John Gloyne's stuff is awesome! Can't wait to see some pics.

Oh I'm so glad to hear you say that! I really dig his work and had been told by several people he was the one to go to in Asheville. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice man, it is so worth the effort. The only pain in the ass is gawking over your shoulder in a mirror.

what's the subject matter for the piece?

Yeah, I've been wanting to get it done for years now so I'm just happy to finally be going through with it. I'm purchasing two full length mirrors for the gawking situation. :D

It's gonna be a sunflower mural, fairy large flowers in size - the rest I'm leaving to the artist.

welcome, from a fellow Houstonian!

Currently getting my back done, too - but in New Orleans.

Oh hey, thanks! I'm technically living in Houston, but I work all over the South, hence the NC tattoo.

Where are you getting your work done in NOLA? I'm there frequently and would love to get some work done there.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to check out his work. Everything I've seen and heard about Hot Stuff is full of raving. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Thanks! I'll be sure to post up progress pics in the full back piece thread.

Oh hey, thanks! I'm technically living in Houston, but I work all over the South, hence the NC tattoo.

Where are you getting your work done in NOLA? I'm there frequently and would love to get some work done there.

We are back and forth between these 2 cities constantly - also for work, but enjoy the ability to play, too.

In Nola, Eye Candy is the place to go for me - but if you're into more traditional pieces the pickings are rather slim.