Question for people with suits (or close to it)

misterJ

I am interested in possibly planning a body suit. I think my style would be neck to knees with half sleeves.

For people who want or have something similar I would love to hear how yours developed. I understand I have a lot to finish before moving forward, but does this happen with several large pieces that tie together or is it something you planned out?

I've searched and most stories I have read were considerably older and involved people knocking it all out at once. Since this is obviously not me right now I feel a bit lost.

(I searched on LST and didn't see anything like this, so if it's a redo I apologize and ignore this thread.)

Thanks for the help in advance

I spend my days and nights stressing out about planning out my body suit. So far I only have 3/4 sleeves on each arm and an in progress thigh piece. Biggest issue is thinking of ways to keep everything flowing together nicely. Right now my plan is to have my front left side be Fall (maple leaves and maybe some chrysanthemums) front right side will be spring summer (cherry blossoms and peonies). Of course none of my planning is necessary since the artists do all of that hard work but it still fun to day dream about a body suit.

I have some imagery in mind, but I'm not sure if it's too much/ little.

My plan is namakubi / samurai skull helmet on each thigh as big as possible. Maybe nine tailed fox full torso. I'd like to keep upper body animals. And my left arm all flowers for half sleeve.

I was told from butt to thigh on me is another half back piece for most people cause I'm tall.

I still have NO damn idea and am kinda freaked about big torso work

Edit: also I am aware of the COST lol

but does this happen with several large pieces that tie together or is it something you planned out?

Different strokes for different folks. If you're still without any tattoos then it frees you up to a cohesive body-suit plan (that option was no longer available to me as I transitioned from having a couple of tattoos to being largely tattooed). In any case neither path is "right" or "wrong".

If you are planning a full suit then you 1st need to find the artist who you want to put it together, and that's a task all by itself. Aside from that you will both need to be dedicated to and available for the extensive time required. Logistics can hamper a long term project like that.

My front piece evolved as follows:- chest plates first, then the jump to deciding to do a full front piece. Tomo was able to fill in between the plates and then he had blank space all the way down to my thigh pieces.

My left sleeve is all Mo Coppoletta and although it was extended from a quarter sleeve (above the elbow) all the way down, it's cohesive.

The right arm is a blend of Ching (elbow to wrist) and above that Mo and a deceased Irish artist, Mick.

My back was one piece, all Ching.

My legs are Mo on the left and a patchwork of trad on the right. I'm just filling them in willy-nilly from now on.

So I have a mix of big planned pieces and one-shots. If I were going to go back and start again... IMO big single design front and back pieces are the way to go but for arms and legs as a collector I think I would possibly go one-shot all the way.. I'd just chip away tying small pieces together and getting tattooed by multiple people.

In a way I think I would be sad to only get tattooed by one artist for a bodysuit, no matter who it was.

My only 'design' concept from here in is that I will stick with Japanese style and trad.

@RoryQ thanks and I think that large single front image is the way to go. I kinda want my current artist to do it because the others I like are far away (that andre_atak dude is no joke) plus I've had less then positive experiences with certain NY artists when going for consults on my back.

But life is always interesting so who knows.

The fox is just at concept now, I want something mythical but not dragon if that makes sense. Staying japanese was never really a question and I love american traditional so that may be a single piece on the calf if I get inspired. I'm lame so maybe a navy mark dive helmet or something similar I love.

When I first started getting tattooed in the 80's I always knew I wanted to become heavily tattooed but didn't have the mind set to suit.

So it was like starting on the arms with large pieces spaced out. You know, 2 upper arm designs, outer/ inner forearms, biceps.

When I realised I wanted to go solid, I continued to fill large gaps with features and then background with solid black, win bars/ clouds/ lightning bolts etc.

i'de seen a lot of Western suits dropped with colour, like blue in like a water scene and stuff and it seemed too light and took away the effect of the features. Still impressive but.

So when we embarked on the rest of the suit, we followed the same concept. Large features, smash the black background.

I have major pieces that are a combo of Japanese style, trad style, punk skulls...whatever, and the conflicting styles still work a treat because of the simple approach of tying it all together. Makes it a little more interesting for me too that I haven't committed to just one style.

As long as I just pick a design I like, keep it bold, not too fruity, then it just comes down to execution.

I've never been too worried about perfection either. It's the overall effect I have always sought out.

When I first started getting tattooed in the 80's I always knew I wanted to become heavily tattooed but didn't have the mind set to suit.

So it was like starting on the arms with large pieces spaced out. You know, 2 upper arm designs, outer/ inner forearms, biceps.

When I realised I wanted to go solid, I continued to fill large gaps with features and then background with solid black, win bars/ clouds/ lightning bolts etc.

i'de seen a lot of Western suits dropped with colour, like blue in like a water scene and stuff and it seemed too light and took away the effect of the features. Still impressive but.

So when we embarked on the rest of the suit, we followed the same concept. Large features, smash the black background.

I have major pieces that are a combo of Japanese style, trad style, punk skulls...whatever, and the conflicting styles still work a treat because of the simple approach of tying it all together. Makes it a little more interesting for me too that I haven't committed to just one style.

As long as I just pick a design I like, keep it bold, not too fruity, then it just comes down to execution.

I've never been too worried about perfection either. It's the overall effect I have always sought out.

I never had the mindset for suit either, honestly back was going big to me. When we were doing the stencil on my back, my artist was like "hey let me just line this up in case you ever do a body suit." It seemed silly, but that really planted the seed.

I've checked your photos quite a bit and was interested because your imagery is very unique. I love how your more traditional pieces really do flow well with the "Japanese" background. Case in point is that eagle under your chest.

I agree with the smash the black background concept. I have light graywash on my right arm for the background its not really my preference now that i know more about tattoo. The hard black on my back is way more my style, and I am looking forward to the way it will age.

I'm impressed and mildly horrified that you even have your armpits done. You are covered in the true sense of the word. It's people like you that make me laugh at myself when I sweat having my stomach tattooed ( I have heard such horror stories I can't even begin, but I also heard the same about ribs and those aren't too bad as on now), I cannot imagine having and also healing armpits. You certainly have my respect.

Thanks misterJ.

I always had this notion before tackling a real painful area that, others have been here before me..so it's just my turn to do the same. Just helps with creating the right head space.

I'm lucky too that my tattooer just knows how to work the different areas. His machines are always running nice and he just digs in when when it's needed. Nothing worse for me this stopping and starting. Load it up, belt in in.

Cheers mate.

started with the idea to have a suit. black and grey (renaissance style) with a history theme.

currently have a left sleeve Caesar V Hannibal (rome v carthage)

right sleeve Genghis Khan and Alexander the great (kinda a horse inspired theme)

back piece is saladin with background the Dome of the rock.

Knights Templar right leg sleeve (half finished)

and looking to start my left leg but no theme as of yet.

still to do:

front neck piece, finish hands, finish right leg, start left leg and chest and lower stomach. From start to finish should be about a 20 year process.

My opinion, one style, one theme looks better and flows better. Its why Japanese suits have soo much power because there scale is much larger from the start.