Squidpants/Leg Mania; or, where we're at with our leg tattoos.

img_8849_thumb.jpg

Here is a quick pick of the back of my knees...thank god, never again. Hey unless I can get my hands on that removal cream, then let's party all over again...

TheGangOfOne rolled in the blackness on the left 5 days ago, it is just continuation of my backpiece. So my whole L backthigh (and buttocks) is all black water waves and rocks.

The R side was put in back in 2011 by OllieXXX, the green water connects a sperm whale on the thigh to an octopus on the leg.

That lizard on the side needs a touch up yikes

That red-yellow rising sun was my bright (?) idea to fill in my lower leg. It kind of looks silly but folks always seem to point it out, and the red and yellow have held really well for 10 years so whatever. I'm almost tempted to black over and continue the black/grey water waves down.

The scrappy looking black tattoos on my calves are a palm tree (Island Records) and a Bad Brains bolt that I got in 2003 from this skinhead pal. THe plan all along has been to keep them open and completely fill around.

- - - Updated - - -

Knee tattoos are painful to get, but manageable if you have a tattooer who can work quickly and efficiently, as the knee will balloon up and once that happens the pain will intensify. The healing I find more difficult and painful than the tattoo, either when moving or at rest. Especially that friggin lizard, he took longer to heal than anything else. Hard to bend the leg when the skin is raw and tight afterwards for a few days so you will have the zombie limp. Don't let that deter you! I went jumping and kung fu kicking 2 days after a knee session, that was dumb but my leg still works and the tattoo is still there. You won't die haha. Within a couple days that swelling and bruising go away, you regain some mobility and it's business as usual, just with more colour to accentuate yourself :) the mortality rate is very low! good luck, you can do it!

Also, be aware that knees take a lot of abuse over the years. I've banged up my knee a couple times since I got one tattooed. Took a big chunk out the centre and one off the side. So you have to be prepared for that happen. Just part of living life.

- - - Updated - - -

img_4788_thumb.jpg

i found this pic of my "squid pants" from a few years ago on my computer last nite, enjoy...a colourful dude and his ugly dog. Turtle is 10 years old, from Miles Kanne. Hard to believe the blue is still blue. They do look better as they age :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like this thread.

Right leg: what, who, where

Lady head - Herb Auerbach, California Electric

Boar/party-pig - Bryan Randolph, Spider Murphy's

Flower thingy - Capilli Tupou, Sacred Electric

Weirdo-anthropomorphic-walking-compass-bro-tat-guy (can't really see it): Job de Quay, Salon Serpent

Bottom of the well: Theo Mindell

Left Leg:

Start of something killer: Tim Lehi, Blackheart

Insanity: El Monga, Spider Murphys/Tattoo city (guesting)

Edited by 9Years
I sucks at the technicals

Thanks I appreciate that very informative response. I've really been wanting to get one of my knees done lately, but I'm just worried it might not be feasible with my work/schedule...

Bit of a catch 22, work seems to be picking back up as we get out of winter, so have the spare cash to get my knee done, but it might make my job really suck for a while.

I have my left knee done 2 weeks ago, a few days after I was already ok for walking.

And because of my work I always plan some holydays for the healing and to be operational!

• 7 months later...

You and SStu... Damn, you two inspire me (and my legs)!

I don't know, to me the two pictures side by side emphasizes how huge of a gap there is between Hooper and a handful of other tattooers who pioneered that kind of tattooing and the generic expression of it that has come since.

I don't know, to me the two pictures side by side emphasizes how huge of a gap there is between Hooper and a handful of other tattooers who pioneered that kind of tattooing and the generic expression of it that has come since.

There is no question about who Hooper is and his level of talent, But why you have to diminish a positive comment tors my tattoo?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My right leg is starting to look like something, with two semi-big tattoos by Rudy Fritsch and Iain Mullen. Now let's pray to the internet gods

I will manage to post the two pictures I want this time...

edit: the juzu around my ankle by Bunshin Horimatsu too! #tebori

I love your peonies, might have to add some to my collection soon. Hope my legs can look that nice when they're done!