Squidpants/Leg Mania; or, where we're at with our leg tattoos.

I got my broken infinity last month on the 20th (3 inch x 3 inch where ankle and calf meet) and loving it! It's healing very well (pics in my gallery). I'm already starting to brainstorm what to do with the rest of my right calf.

My left is already planned out and will be very colorful, so I'm thinking of making my right calf black work or black and gray to contrast. I'm not sure if I should brainstorm here or start a new thread, so I'll post here and follow yall's lead. I think I've narrowed it down to neo traditional, new school, geometric, tribal, or black work for the style. I might mix and match as long as they're similar enough to work together. I was thinking of having the theme be who I am. I'm researching my family tree and I was thinking of having different things to represent where I came from. So far I have Irish, Scottish, Native American, and British Isles, but there's a lot more to uncover. I'm not sure what else to add besides something to represent the places my ancestors came from (and I have yet to decide on what symbol or item to use for each). Maybe my zodiac month symbol and Chinese zodiac year? Maybe something showing the state I was born and raised in (like the state flower)? I love to read, so I might toss that in too since that has never changed over the years. I thought something from my favorite book from my youth would be fitting, but an image from Misoso by Verna Aardema might not work (I am very light skinned). I also loved Greek mythology especially Athenia. Any ideas or suggestions?

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2016 at 10:51 AM, JBluewind said:

There are so many lovely pieces on here! I must ask though, how well do calf tattoos age? Would they get distorted too bad from weight and/or muscle fluctuations?

13285274_1632586237065218_944782841_n.jp

Palm/Lightning Bolt are 12years old, Turtle is 11, Shark is 7, Octopus is 6 ... :)

it's almost time to start thinking about filling in those open spots on the back of the calf. blast in solid bright-ass yellow in the bad brains bolt. maybe a mini-beach scene inside the palm tree. likely going to blast over the red-yellow rising sun. also thinking of getting the turtle redone (by the same tattooer Miles Kanne) in the next few years. I'm keeping the blue water, how Y2K-Canadian of me

13187984_1705184193076775_292211026_n.jp

Edited by bongsau

this is my project for next season (winter) i'm going to tile in some background in and behind the frog...perhaps some overlapping matrix of black and red spider webs. I don't know about the other side (inner thigh), its my last major space for a big tattooo. Something with fire, crazy colours, the weirder the better.13269595_292298164435629_1343223976_n.jp

sorry folks these photos are too big, don't know how to resize down, i've been having probs linking urls from the 'gram,

I've got a little choice spot above the skull. i actually think i might blast over the nonsensical skull. who knows what yet.

13249814_1032733360145166_2087695656_n.j

and here's the wraparound OllieXXX whale in better view:

13269315_287058274967171_236266000_n.jpg

Edited by bongsau

• 4 weeks later...

There are 42 tattoos on the link in the above post and maybe like 2 of them made me stop scrolling for a second. that is a comparative metaphor to the state of present day tattooing.

If you want a tiger...get a tiger

If you want a butterfly...get a butterfly

If you like Japanese culture...research Japanese tattoo motifs.

My advice is know what you want and keep it simple.

• 4 months later...

I haven't updated this in a minute. These pictures aren't the best, but you get the idea. It's not easy to take pictures of your own legs.

Right leg
Spider Murphy's flash anchor - Keith Reed
Death's head moth - Oliver Peck
Tiger rose morph - Grez
Hannya spider - Keith Reed
Out of Step dagger rose - Scott Sylvia
Blue crab - Todd Noble
Smoke wolf - Ron Wells
Lehi flash winged claw - Keith Reed 
Cats - Grez
Pineapple - Drew Rash

Left leg 
Torch moth/butterfly - Keith Reed
Mandala/rose/eye/wings - Grez
Cobra and roses - Scott Sylvia
Phillie Phanatic Virgin Mary - Grez

f4343c59-abaa-4e42-b6d6-8b2a86c04cac.jpg

946cfb24-fbe5-44c2-8da5-2ab702b2f369.jpg

55d27093-2fe0-4de9-ad99-f8d57768b3a9.jpg

f46548da-6df9-4491-ac9f-3ee4e54b3499.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love this thread! At present, I intend to keep my tattoos at/below my knees (famous last words, I know), with loose aspirations for American traditional-ish patchwork "sleeves". I want to take my time filling them up though, and really only pursue work from artists I love for pieces that resonate with me, rather than rushing to get covered for the sake of getting covered. Also, I promised my husband I'd take it slow, partly for the sake of our bank account, and partly because he's worried I'm going to "get all tatted up like the guys from Lucero". :15_yum:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally snapped some pics of my squidpant-in-progress.  Pretty sure all of these tattoos have been posted on LST, just not all healed and together.  While I'm looking forward to adding more to it, I'm also really happy with where it's at at the moment...

From oldest to newest: bicycle dropout by Gordon Combs, rose/dagger by Jeff P., wolf by R.H. Wells, umbrella/clouds by Tron, rooster, by Gordon Combs, tiger by Chad Koeplinger, skull/rose by Jeff P.  Thanks for looking.

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...