Scar-Tatoo

Gottfried Gewessler

Hey guys!

I have this long scar on my left elbow after a very stupid accident. (see attachments).

And since this scar is going to be there forever, why not get something clever to "beautify" it?

I know there are millions of scar-covering-decorating tattoo pictures out there, but not one is adequate for my needs. eg Darth Vaders sword; where the scar is the red part of the sword. But its a bit too nerdy for my taste and my scar is not straight enough to be a laser.

Now I want to ask you, if you have ANY idea what kind of tatoo I can get to decorate my scar. The best idea I came up with, is a zipper, but I am not happy with it. I dont want to hide my scar under a tatoo. Its still too "young" (2 and 1/2 years) to get tattooed over, but the direct surrounding can be tattooed.

I have been thinking about it for over a year and now the only problem I have is the missing idea that fits the scar.

I would be very glad if you could help me out and give me some tips, or even draw it over the picture with paint. I need a jump start to think of something good

(I study engineering if you want a direction, but any direction is cool :D )

ps: sorry for my bad english

Hello and welcome to LST!

Pfff.... Your English is great, and you know it! ;)

First off I would advise you to poke around this site for a while. Check out the gallery section, watch a couple interviews, work your way through a chunk of the http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/15-latest-tattoo-lowdown.html thread and get inspired! I'm sure you'll eventually find something that strikes you.

When you stumble across a tattoo that you like, then look up the person who did it. Chances are you'll like more of that person's work as well. Finding the right tattooer is just as important, if not more so, than picking the right design. If you tell us where you live I'm sure the community here will be more than happy to suggest some great tattooers in your area.

In my humble opinion there's also no need to force a meaning/story/"reflection of one's personality"-type deal into a tattoo design. A lot of first timers may feel a little anxious because of the permanence aspect of getting tattooed, and they think that linking it with some personal meaning will help take some of that pressure of (at least that was the case for me back in the day. Lots of thought went into the design, none in the execution).

If the idea works, then great, but if not there's no shame in getting a tattoo simply because you like tattoos. I suspect that a zipper design or a lightsaber might get old real fast, but who knows? Maybe if the right person did it, I'd have to swallow those words. I have definitely seen a lot of cool Star Wars tattoos over the years. This awesome Seth Wood piece suddenly sprung to mind:

tumblr_lno5q7MOzO1qasqa8o1_400.jpg

But anyways, I really hope you post it up once you get it done. If I were you I'd keep that scar, and just surround it with good tattoos. This is of course unless it holds some kind of negative association for you.

And remember, the internet is great and all, but nothing can ever replace or equate to a good old-fashioned consultation :)

Good luck!

Is this where I'm supposed to write "or just get a crawling panther...."?

I too got this massive motherfuckin' scar on my outer right thigh. Sliced the fucker down o the gristle...good times. Internal & external stitches which left a half inch X 3 inch scar.

It fucked up all the nerves & to this day can't even touch it let alone have it slammed with a machine.

But who gives a fuck, I just suit around it, and as close to it I could get just worked some fading cloud work around it.

What Iwar said, if ya can't have it worked over like myself, surround it with kick arse tattoos. Hey, as they say...chicks dig scars :)

Welcome mate.

I too got this massive motherfuckin' scar on my outer right thigh. Sliced the fucker down o the gristle...good times. Internal & external stitches which left a half inch X 3 inch scar.

It fucked up all the nerves & to this day can't even touch it let alone have it slammed with a machine.

Sounds gnarly Mick. Do I dare ask what happened? Something involving a crocodile I presume?

Lol! Umm, yes mate! I jumped into croc infested waters in the Territory to save this young female English backpacker when suddenly a 6 metre salt water croc latched on to my leg.

As we started to death roll, I reached for my Bowie knife, lunged it through his jaw and brained the fucker. Hey! That's just how we roll in the outback.

Ya can't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn now can ya!

Ok, so maybe it didn't quite happen like that. More along the lines of slipping off a rock wall, picking up the sharp corner which sliced me open like a scalpel. After Mum flogged me for disturbing her house cleaning (that part is true) off we went to the surgery to get stitched back together again.

I second Iwar's point about the consultation. I have multiple tattoos that I didn't know what I wanted, just who I wanted to do it - so I went to them, showed them the space available and asked for some ideas and went with the least objectionable answer.

People who aren't "into" tattoos will harangue you for getting something that doesn't have the "Miami Ink" story to it, but don't let their foolishness dissuade you - if you appreciate art and like the artist doing it then that is more than enough meaning.

Thanks for your answers so far! :o

I already showed my scar to one artist in my area and he didnt (want to ?) help me. I guess I cought him on the wrong foot.

I dont want to visit another tattooist without having a clue of what I want, thats why I am asking around.

And also because I am completely new in the world of tattoos and I dont know what I can expect from a tatooist.

Maybe someone here will have a flash of inspiration for a gread tattoo-scar combination. ;)

Lol! Umm, yes mate! I jumped into croc infested waters in the Territory to save this young female English backpacker when suddenly a 6 metre salt water croc latched on to my leg.

As we started to death roll, I reached for my Bowie knife, lunged it through his jaw and brained the fucker. Hey! That's just how we roll in the outback.

My hero! :eek:

I have a lovely zipper scar running down the centre of my stomach from just under boobs height right down to my pelvis, this is what happens when you get totally taken out by a 600kg horse and split your liver. I am in the process of plotting what I want to work around that with, I'd be so happy to not look like a body who has escaped the morgue post autopsy.

I would just browse around here, talk to your artist or meet a few for consults, show them what they have to work with, don't over analyse, when you see the design that's right for you, you'll know.

;)

I have been thinking about it for over a year and now the only problem I have is the missing idea that fits the scar.

I think the notion of having a scar and getting a tattoo that you want are not really related, unless of course you want lettering or something only marginally bigger than the scar itself.

I'm not a tattooer, but it seems from what I read and my very limited questions to cover a scar I have, the only constraint would be the tattooer's comfort level and experience tattooing over scars since the skin is different.

Look for imagery that you like, period, and a tattooer who does that type of imagery. They'll be able to design it in a way that it happens to cover the scar and not make it look like it was put down just to cover the scar. If you like flowers, they can design a nice cascade down your arm. If you like panthers, the placement would be awesome. Then you'll have a tattoo that you like without that constant reminder.

I have a scar on my thigh that is sort-of shaped in the curve of meat that could have been chewed out by a shark. For about an hour, I thought it would be cool to have a shark tattoo, looking like it had just taken the bite. But that idea is kinda hokey. Maybe better suited to be drawn on with sharpies on a hot Corona-infused summer afternoon.

(It was actually from falling off an impromptu 5-foot long gang plank from a dock to a boat when the boat shifted in the slip and the plank slipped off the back of the boat. No alcohol was involved. We were just running fishing gear back and forth off the boat. A nice hunk of meat was gouged out when my leg raked over the corner of the metal trim tab just below the surface. But the crabs under the boat got a nice feast!)

Just to clarify: You want a tattoo to surround your scar? Not cover it up?

That changes things, because we could all easily say pick a type of tattoo you like and go to an artist you like, but trying to come up with a design to work WITH the scar is a little different.

Have you considered letting the scar age and then covering it with a tattoo? If you want a great tattoo, then it will work in your favor to not be hasty.

I want a tattoo to surround the scar, make something out of it with a clever picture.

Thats why im here; to ask: "Hey, I have this scar. Do you have an idea how to beautify it with a tattoo?" -simple as that.

ANY idea would be helpful, even if its a tattoo of a dog who defecates the scar :p

I know the scar will not look the same in 20 years but it will be still there, so why not get a tatto now? :)

I think you will have a better result if you just get a tattoo over the scar. Anything that tries to include the scar as part of the design will most likely be a corny joke.

Also that scar already has a significant cool factor on its own.

And check out this thread with some good examples of tattoos over scars: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/5489-our-imperfect-skin-scars-stretch-marks-more.html

I want a tattoo to surround the scar, make something out of it with a clever picture.

Thats why im here; to ask: "Hey, I have this scar. Do you have an idea how to beautify it with a tattoo?" -simple as that.

ANY idea would be helpful, even if its a tattoo of a dog who defecates the scar :p

I know the scar will not look the same in 20 years but it will be still there, so why not get a tatto now? :)

My bad. I misread your question. Train on a railroad track? Monorail cat?

Monorail_Cat_by_kkasabian.jpg

Scars look gnarly, wear it with pride!

If you insist on a tattoo, I would cover it rather than incorporate it, any 'novelty factor' a funny tattoo will have will wear off and you will be left disappointed...

So yeah, choose one of these and go to town: Panther/Skull/Lady Head/Panther Skull Eating A Lady's Head

How did you get the scar, did I miss that part?

I was longboarding and drove down a very steep hill. And because I had a 10 minute skating experience, I fell off and broke my left ankle and completely crumbled my left elbow. Now I cant stretch my left arm to a 100%, which can be a pain in the ass.

I dont want to make a joke with the tattoo-scar combination, but I want something clever. I like the snake idea very much, but since I cant paint over the scar (because its still pink and young), it doesnt work very well. The panther head is almost too heavy metal for me, if you know what I mean :) And the rokurokubi is a bit crazy, but I keep thinking about it.

I would love something in bio-mechanical style. I already tried to design some gears and dampers around the scar but Im not very talented when it comes to drawing.

Thank your very much for your help so far! :o

The best bet will be find an artist that you love and get their opinion on the matter. Folks here can help point you n the direction of a good one if you let them know your location. From the sounds of, the people suggesting more organic ideas are on the right lines - snakes, dragons etc. As the scar ages and settles it'll still work with the design. If you go with something that requires a more... can't think of the word... definite placement of line (?) then if the scar alters it might not work anymore.

If anyone else knows what I mean, feel free to chime in. My words have gone.