Artists doing coverups on their own work - ettiquette?

BigTex

Is it poor form to ask an artist to cover up their own work? In my case it isn't that the tattoos are poorly done or that i regret them or anything, quite the opposite actually. Its just that they are fifteen years old, and i am a different person now with different taste. i have other ideas for things i want on me, and seeing as how i want a Japanese half-sleeve on my left arm, one of them would have to be covered to make that happen anyhow. I have to, for the time being, confine my tattoos to areas not visible when wearing a polo type shirt, so the real estate on my upper arms is precious.

My instinct is that it is kind of rude and awkward to ask someone to cover up work they did. Anyone out there care to weigh in?

• 2 weeks later...
Go in.....tell the artist your idea......and see what they recommend!

It may be him suggesting that they cover up their own work to make it happen for you and if not then put it as politely as possible to them that you may want them to do just that if it is indeed possible to do so!

Well said. I think it might come up more often than we'd think. Taste changes, you may want something expanded upon and so on. I think that the best person to help with the decision is the OG artist.

• 1 month later...

Contact your artist and tell him nicely that you would like to get something else. Explain that it's not the quality of the tattoo but the subject. The artist may be a little irritated due to the work he/she has put in it. More than likely they'll be a lot less irritated than if you went to someone else to get the cover up.