Long Lasting Styles

I like apples AND oranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no respect for anyone that likes apples. Those are snacks that second graders eat. I mean, you don't even have to peel an apple. Where's the skill in that? Seriously, explain to me why I should like apples!

There are too many great replies to quote, but @cltattooing, @mmikaoj, @suburbanxcore, @smiling.politely, and @DJDeepFried are killing it.

@Steele, to quote one of cinema's greatest characters, "That's like, your opinion, man." And you sound like a missionary trying to convert us. So stop doing that, stop scratching, and go get on Carlos Torres' waiting list.

PS You diss Ed Hardy, you diss yourself.

Go get on Carlos Torres' waiting list.

I like traditional because it looks fucking cool.

Ask anyone on the street to close their eyes and name a tattoo, what will they come back with? Traditional! Japanese!

Tiger/Skull/Panther/Rose.

These decisions have been made over generations, there is a reason for this. There is an elegance and power in their simplicity, is it not harder to convey a message in a few lines and few colours? They hold up (BOLD WILL HOLD!) So when I'm old and saggy you'll still make out what tattoos I have.

When someone comes up to me and asks why I got a tiger/skull/heart and dagger on my arm? I get to say cool shit like ' it's a tiger,/skull/heart and dagger what else do you need to know!' Someone once said to me your tattoos look like tattoos. I thought that was awesome.

You can tell what my tattoos are from 5 feet away (back piece 20 feet, take that!) It's a tattoo, its on me, my bodies a temple etc etc but I ain't the sistine chapel.

All that said, I appreciate the technicality and application of portraits etc, still not sure how they'll hold up, hopefully very well and it'll prove a few cynics wrong, but it ain't my bag.

As for this forum, just a little more tact maybe...

• 3 weeks later...

Remember I know nothing - I'm trying to go through the whole forum to understand the different types of tattoos, especially the traditional.

I just saw the Ed Hardy video on black panthers that someone linked to on this forum somewhere - omg I had no idea of the tradition and wonderful simplicity of these panthers - I have so much more appreciation of them, now. I don't think I want one (yet!), but maybe I would like a traditional white tiger in the style of the panther - just black and greys (except for those blue eyes). I never would have thought I'd go for something that traditional - maybe the panther or tiger coming out of the traditional rose.

Perhaps to get an appreciation for any art, it's important to see many good examples of it - the gallery is really helping me, and I'm "making" my way through the "What makes a good tattoo" thread. After all, I was attracted to tattoos from the beginning looking at my Uncles WWII Navy ones.

Hope this is not out of line here.

Dude, the douchebags have ruined it.

Right you are, Ken! I think that those 'douche bags' are douche bags because of their personality, not their tattoos. You could be a douche bag with a kickass peice, but that doesn't make you any less or more of a douche bag. I don't think tying tattoos to a person's presonality is a mean's to discuss the art form in any capacity.

I think that most people are here because they genuinely appreciate and respect tattooing as a practice and art form (all styles). I think most of us here are enthusiasts and we can appreciate all styles, even if we personally would not choose to wear it. Ultimately, to each their own. I don't care what somebody else is wearing. If I see a cool piece, hell yeah I'll admire it and ask questions but in the end I'll wear what I want and I have no reason to challenge others on their choices.

Just my 2 cents.