Long Lasting Styles

I've heard that the two styles of tattoos that last the longest are Japanese and Traditional Western, by this i mean they will retain their looks better than other styles like 3D portraits for example. I'm wondering if this is a myth, if there are other styles that are durable to the test of time, and what qualities in the tattoos design determines their longevity.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you mean long lasting as in the durability of craftsmanship, or the durability of stylistic preference over time?

I was wondering the same thing, and had the OP not thanked Greame for redirecting him, I would have thought it were about long lasting trends. I briefly looked thru the given thread and saw most people are referring to line clarity, shade blending, and recognizability.

So instead of letting a thread die.....

I think the Japanese style, although not my favorite, has lasted ages and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I have seen some incredible work in this style. One super popular and played out style is the "traditional" e.g. sailor tattoos, black cats, roses, owls, and knives piercing hearts. Do you know how many fucking knives through hearts there are walking around in this world? It blows my mind. I have zero respect for art on the second-grade level. Never have I ever (drink!) seen an "old-school" tattoo that impressed me or that I liked. Period. Why does this appeal to people? There is nothing unique about picking one of these out of a flash book and putting your own custom banner flying around it. I lol when I see them.

I was wondering the same thing, and had the OP not thanked Greame for redirecting him, I would have thought it were about long lasting trends. I briefly looked thru the given thread and saw most people are referring to line clarity, shade blending, and recognizability.

So instead of letting a thread die.....

I think the Japanese style, although not my favorite, has lasted ages and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I have seen some incredible work in this style. One super popular and played out style is the "traditional" e.g. sailor tattoos, black cats, roses, owls, and knives piercing hearts. Do you know how many fucking knives through hearts there are walking around in this world? It blows my mind. I have zero respect for art on the second-grade level. Never have I ever (drink!) seen an "old-school" tattoo that impressed me or that I liked. Period. Why does this appeal to people? There is nothing unique about picking one of these out of a flash book and putting your own custom banner flying around it. I lol when I see them.

Haha you went there

So aside from the fact that you just insulted about 80% of LST's membership with that post, you should probably learn a little about the style you're bashing before you make such sweeping generalizations.

It's fine if you don't like traditional tattooing and it's fine to feel like every tattoo needs to be a custom masterpiece, but I cannot emphasize how dumb it makes you look when you come to a forum with no sense of who it is you're interacting with and why people here like what they like. There are hundreds of pages describing the history and innovation behind traditional tattooing, it might have been a good idea to read through the forum a bit before posting.

Also, just fyi, there are handfuls of traditional tattooers who can draw circles around portrait artists and vice versa. Style and skill have little to do with each other.

Leaving my popcorn at home because the worst thing about posters like this isn't that they're ignorant and too stupid to know when to shut their mouths about it, it's that they don't even have the backbone to come back and defend their ill-informed opinions. Untertainment value minimal.

So I'm stupid and ignorant because I dislike a certain style? That's not insulting. I don't remember saying anywhere that the folks walking around with traditional western tattoos are all artistically retarded. ..Just lack the finer tastes of art. Haha- but all joking aside, don't get butthurt about me keeping a thread alive that you decided should be closed.

@Steele so what is your favorite tattoo style then?

Black and grey all the way. Although ignorant because I don't like super-bright colors, realism and fine-art tattoos tickle that sweet spot for me.

So I'm stupid and ignorant because I dislike a certain style? That's not insulting. I don't remember saying anywhere that the folks walking around with traditional western tattoos are all artistically retarded. ..Just lack the finer tastes of art. Haha- but all joking aside, don't get butthurt about me keeping a thread alive that you decided should be closed.

Black and grey all the way. Although ignorant because I don't like super-bright colors, realism and fine-art tattoos tickle that sweet spot for me.

Nope, you're ignorant because you're saying traditional takes no talent to create, and you're stupid because you're trashing a vast array of incredibly talented artists. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's shit. Trashing an entire style, and talking shit on work that artists have put their heart and souls into developing, for generations, is downright insulting to the art and culture of tattooing.

I'm newish to this forum, and was a lurker for a long time before I posted. LST is a very tight community, and like any other community or club or social group of whatever you are new to, it's usually a good idea to try to spend some time getting to know what's it's like before jumping in the way you did. The reason you sounded ignorant and the reason so many of us were amused was because you clearly have no idea who it is you're talking to. The vast majority of people here favor and wear the style of tattoo you derided. If you had simply said traditional is not your thing, no one would have jumped down your throat.