Long Lasting Styles

I get it.

I'm trying to see the appeal- but I can't. Just because people I respect have them, or like them, doesn't mean I will. Just for example take a look at some of Carlos Torres' work, and tell me it doesn't take an incredible amount of more talent to produce. It demands respect. It's night and day. From coloring book to Sistine Chapel.

- - - Updated - - -

How did I not realize that this was a traditional tattoo forum

?

So everyone... You all... Everyone?

Please- jump down my throat, community. Tell me, convince me, I beg of you, why tigers and hearts and color-exploding skulls, trump pictures that look alive on your skin? Portraits of family members that make you want to shed a tear? Angels that drop you to your knees to repent? Skin art that looks like it could have come off of the ceiling of a church? See- this style speaks to my heart. And every humans heart, I believe. I grew up in Europe. Every cathedral and museum imprinted a love of classical into my DNA.

So convince me.

From coloring book to Sistine Chapel.

Tell me, convince me, I beg of you

It's this blatant upstart attitude that earns you no respect, although please...don't beg, a dog does that when it loses all self respect.

I see what we have here though, another art collector rather than an enthusiast.

At one point, I might have been interested in the type of tattoos you have...the experiences you've had in street front shops...the understanding you have gained from this old time traditional culture...the networks you have established, the people who make this culture such a tight knit community based on respect, but I'm kinda guessing now you haven't. I have this feeling you have gained zero insight into how a traditional tattoo goes far deeper for some than just a picture, it's significant nature far beyond the lines you perceive as imperfection...mmm, but I'm not

See, we don't need to convince you of fuck all. You haven't earned it. You bumbled your own way into this, all on your own. Well done.

Really? Schooled?

It has culture and history. It is eye catching and colorful. Ed Hardy is a tattoo god.

I'm sorry but you speak of not "traditional" tattoo- but mainstream tattoo. It's so played out it's not even ironic anymore. Everytime I see one that person thinks it's so vintage and cool, but it's always on the tools. If you are looking to be like "Yeah! I want to fit in with the cool kids because this signifies like- the history and culture behind tattoo art and it's so deep. If you don't like it then you're ignorant and wrong." Then by all means... Go for it. You're right there with Bret Michaels and Lil' Wayne. They love it.

Dude, the douchebags have ruined it. The douchebag Ed Hardy that put his art on a clothing line that only douchebags wear, has ruined the style you so love and respect. I'm sorry Mick, I really am. Hey... Isn't that Crocodile Dundee's name?

I could go on about how 80% of this stuff looks like it came straight out of a kids coloring book, but I won't. Because you love the history. Because the club used to only be bikers, and convicts, and drunken sailors, and that's cool because I'm sure every single one of you folks is at least one of those. I'm a convict and wouldn't be caught dead with that on me- but that's my opinion. And you know what they say about those...

I apologize for offending anyone here, it was not my original intent. I would have loved if someone could have explained to me why this style means so much to you. But I only received butthurt responses directed towards me. So I'll leave it alone.

P.S. When you google Ed Hardy, it will finish "why ed hardy is for douches"

If you take the reasonable but not compelling story: “I got cut off in traffic this morning and when I honked the guy gave me the finger,” and replace it with: “I got cut off in traffic this morning by this guy in an Ed Hardy shirt. I honked and then he gave me the finger!” The story will become sixty percent more interesting to white people because it allows them to make a witty response like: “I guess that douche bag had to get to a UFC party or a nightclub event he was promoting.”

Never been a big fan of opera. Yet I know some people are pretty passionate about it. And of course I acknowledge its rich history and understand it takes talent and dedication to succeed as an opera singer. What I don't do is go on opera forums and yell out, "OPERA SUCKS! TELL ME I'M WRONG!!!" Because that would be stupid and a waste of time.

Honestly, when I see black and grey pieces, whether it be portraits, or representations of statuary, I do respect the application, but usually just think "Oh, it looks like that photo." Never have I been moved in some astronomical way by a photorealistic tattoo. I do respect the craft aspect of it, but it has always boiled down more to craft than creativity to me, in most cases. Still impressive, but never spoke a single word to me.

That being said, the first time I saw the INTO THE BIG NOTHING clouds/eye tattoo by Steve Byrne, I was blown away. It spoke far more than the four words in the banner ever could. After all, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Honestly, when I see black and grey pieces, whether it be portraits, or representations of statuary, I do respect the application, but usually just think "Oh, it looks like that photo." Never have I been moved in some astronomical way by a photorealistic tattoo. I do respect the craft aspect of it, but it has always boiled down more to craft than creativity to me, in most cases. Still impressive, but never spoke a single word to me.

That being said, the first time I saw the INTO THE BIG NOTHING clouds/eye tattoo by Steve Byrne, I was blown away. It spoke far more than the four words in the banner ever could. After all, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

It's a cool piece... But compared to (again Carlos Torres)

e65f98d4faae3a19adf40ce1b8d543e4.jpg

IMG_3256.png

IMG_3255.png

It's like comparing Chopin and Black Flag. One is well constructed, technically "perfect" (whatever that means to the viewer), and is intended to come across that way. I find it well made, but kinda boring to my taste. The other, for lack of a better or less uncouth term, has balls. Strength. It punches you in the gut and gets your attention.

As much as perfection is impressive, I like balls.

To me its like, I really enjoy many types of photography, and I can get a huge kick out of graffiti if it's done to my liking. I also like reading books and a few pop cultural phenomenas are wonderful to me. But I don't care at all for tattoos that look like photos, graffiti on someones body, text-tattoos or pop culture references in tattoos. And even though I've been skateboarding for close to 12 years I have never seen a skateboard tattoo that I liked.

If you ask me, tattooing is a quite specific thing and it should stay that way. Just because you like chocolate cake AND chorizo hot dogs doesn't mean a combination of the too will be better.