Face/Head Tattoo

based on all your posts the Jun Cha experience doesn't sound all that enjoyable.

also he is only 25 years old?! kid has got his shit together to be that successful at that age.

@hogg & Mark Bee. The term "bikie" is another media term only.

Many years ago, a person would come close to having his mouth shut for even using such a derogatory term. These days with everyone becoming an expert as to what's written in the papers and what they see on the news, pfft, it just becomes another little piece of history that gets lost and some of us become a little too tired in trying to keep it alive.

Another term "gang" is also a media typo. They're "clubs". Again, if that needs to be elaborated on, then it just ain't worth the time. Those of us who had/ have origins from the Oi days know how retarded the media terms to "skinhead or punk gangs" appear. Same shit.

Back to the tattoo topic. This is what we get when we offer mainstream a glimpse into our culture. We create opposing cultures with two completely different takes on the subject, and that has been the sad part for me.

It's like the day when I was getting tattooed in High St, Fremantle Western Australia back in 93, directly opposite the Workers Club, oh, in an old time "biker" run art studio...sorry, tattoo fuckin shop...these were the days Tattooers started charging like $100 an hour!!

After we had completed our 4 pack of Rum and the 3 hour tattoo, I laid out $300 on the chair to complete our deal. Old mate looks me in the eye, handed me back half my cash and said...mate, the day I start charging top dollar for tattoos is the day I may as well be just tattooing Drs and fuckin lawyers. Fuck taking it away from the working man where it belongs.

And that was my very 1st encounter in that particular shop.

Slightly off-topic, but is "bikie" actually strine slang for "biker"? Because that is adorable.

Also, I'm with @Mick Weder when it comes to hands and neck tattoos. Not to sound like an old guy (too late!), but there used to be rules to this shit.

I know plenty of bikers and have yet to come across any who would see the term 'bikie' as derogatory.

The Australia 'bikie' of today is far removed from the one mick welder talks about, in fact some 'bikers' in OZ, don't even have bikes!

Per capita OZ has more bikers than anywhere in the world, and as opposed to others I think there a huge blight on our tattoo industry..

In terms of rules and such, Charlie Cartwright tattooed both of my dad's hands in the early '80s, when he only had a few pork chops on each arm, and some work on his chest (that I'm not sure was finished). He was 23 or 24 at the time. Just as an example, the "rules" that we all think of weren't as set in stone as we may think, especially before some of the mainstream exposure began to come along in the late '60s and '70s, bringing more regular people in, asking for outlandish things to ruin their lives.

Much like my dad, I'd imagine a lot of people got their hands done because it was outside enough that tattooers recognized that the people back then weren't going to get hands blasted, then go try to get a job as a lawyer. Unlike now, when someone asks about getting a hand done while they work as a receptionist or some low level office position. I personally got one and my knuckles done by Dennis McPhail while still in college, and the other hand recently from Steve Byrne. Back and thighs are completely bare still... but, just like with my dad, Dennis knew me well enough to know I wanted to tattoo (before I did), and was willing to be a janitor or welder with two college degrees if tattooing didn't work out. Thankfully, it has so far (provided my hands don't befall some unfortunate fate), and I'm not looking back now.

That all being said, I'm all for not doing any sort of visible work on someone who doesn't fully understand the ramifications, and try to talk young kids out of it all the time. Half may listen, most seem to go get it somewhere else to someone that will just stick them in the chair. If someone has a sack of crap (literal or figurative) on their hand, though, I support covering it up or blasting over, if possible. If their life is going to be ruined, it might as well be ruined by something that looks semi-decent.

Side of my head is tattooed!

For me it was the most painful tattoo I have gotten.....but I hear others say it wasn't bad at all!

Mine was done in two sessions and the lining was not too bad.......the second session of shading and blending was horrible!

Pink Tibetan Snow Lion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Lion

In reference to the whole copyright thing... yeah fuck that. I paid for the tattoo, endured the pain, and unless I pay for removal, it will never go away. I paid the artist money either to put flash on me or design me something unique. Either way, once I pay for it and it's applied, it is mine. No one will ever own rights to anything on my body, even if they're the one who put it there. Do cosmetic surgeons copyright an exceptionally well done boob job? If so, does that mean they have rights to whom the patient shows the boob job to, especially with those in the sex industry with boob jobs who are on film and print? Does an artist who sells you a painting have any right to the proceeds of the painting if you wish to sell it to someone else after a few years?

We should give artists the credit they're due, but the whole copyright thing seems like the most egotistical clusterfuck I've ever heard. Definitely raises questions about body autonomy.

1.) Why do people want things right away anymore???

Hubby says it's McDonalds fault!

You used to go in and sit down and have a meal.....even if it wasn't with the family.....you would sit at the counter and order your food while they cooked it in front of you and that took a little bit of time! Most people would eat there at the counter as well and still do in a lot of towns!

But do you see the way people act if they go to McDonalds drive thru and their food isn't ready in less that the two minutes they drive around to get it??? It's like the world is coming to an end because their food isn't there so they can just drive right away! LOL

2.) My hubby is a printer (printing presses and such) and in that industry the "designers" always "owned" the right to the work the produced! The "hard copy" was theirs......the fee you were paying was for them to do the design work (ie....the illistration or typesetting) but they actually owned the rights to their work!

If you wanted an actual logo designed the price was always a lot more.....so you actually owned the right to your logo! Then you would pay them to do the typesetting and such!

Likewise....the negatives and plates belonged to the printer!

You were paying for the process to make them....not the physical items themselves!

Interesting fact.....Ernie Carafa had his own negatives and plates made when he printed all the Guideline flash so that he "owned" everything!!!

No one could ever reproduce those sheets without Ernie having a hand in it or being able to take them to court for reproducing it! Smart!!!

I think that this is the argument with artists now.....they own the right to their original art and you are just paying the "fee" to have it applied to you!

My personal feeling is.....once YOU post something online or YOU allow someone else to post it.....it is going to become "flash!" You may not have intended it to be......you may not want it to be used.....but it's going to happen even if it is just used as reference and changed slightly!

Right or wrong.....it's going to happen!

• 2 weeks later...

dad walked into charlies shop with his cowboy and indian forearm tats, and his upper arms ( angel and eagle ) and his kilroy on his lower belly area...in ten days charlie did dads chest, some arm work and the backs of both hands. dad sat in his chair for most of every day the shop was open in that ten day stretch. when he told charlie that he wanted the hands done, Charlie talked to him for thirty minutes before he was comfortable to do them. he was 23 at the time. charlie ended up putting multiple photos of dad in his bins full of flash and photos...

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see myself ever tattooing my face but I know plenty who have. I think their biggest issue is when they just want to blend in going to the store or whatever and people want to stare etc... You can cover up all your tattoos usually pretty easy but with face tattoos that can be near impossible. So it's on you, if you don't mind the attention then go for it.

Bunny you are a beast those pics of you getting your head done make me wince hard and you're just taking it like a champ.

I can't explain my guy reaction, but side/back/top of head tattoos don't bother me. I wouldn't get one but I've seen a bunch I really like. I hate face tattoos. It only screams I want attention in some capacity.

Edit: I agree you are dead on with things becoming "flash" once posted online because it's the easy option for many people

• 1 month later...