Finishing a full backpiece over several years?

cloudkicker

I don't know whether this will help ya but, with all my work which has entailed long sittings, we work out design say for my back & I say quote me for the job for a one up front payment.

Then I squirrel away what I need, then after the 1st sitting, I pay for the entire job.

That way, money is only discussed once, and we can both concentrate on the job at hand without any other interference.

Anyway, might not work for you nor your tattooer as it's hard to anticipate every factor regarding application along the way, plus...my tattooer I have known for years also, so he's happy to roll this way.

I just take to the chair and let the tattooing begin, at the end of the session, I ask how much and fork over the cash. Some artists will give you a firm-fixed-price on a big piece, others won't. In the end most of us work well with artists that we've been with forever.

finally talked to my artist.. got off on a good note and picked his brain and he kept it real with me which i appreciate.. and i don't want to name who he is but he quoted me on a price that's literally the price of a good, brand new car.

i think i might have to go with someone else.. it's just not reasonable for me. thanks again for everyone's responses and help

keep researching and keep saving.

if you are looking in the LA area check out place like Onizuka Tattoo, Dark Horse, and Small Paul at True Tattoo. and visit the Perserverance exhibit http://www.janm.org/exhibits/perseverance/

finally talked to my artist.. got off on a good note and picked his brain and he kept it real with me which i appreciate.. and i don't want to name who he is but he quoted me on a price that's literally the price of a good, brand new car.

i think i might have to go with someone else.. it's just not reasonable for me. thanks again for everyone's responses and help

I am new to tattoos also. Just started last year. This is a great site with plenty of people wanting to help. Being new, I had to learn what is "reasonable" in the tattoo world. Reasonable pricing, time frames, pain, what can and cannot be done in a tattoo, quality, fading, etc..

You cannot believe everything you read on the internet or read in discussion boards, but when everyone is giving you the same advice, odds are, it's good advice. One of the funny things about getting free advice on the internet. We sometimes discredit it because it's free.

my $0.02 don't rush.

just bankroll your funds until you have the amount you need to commit to the piece.

then pull the trigger, get outlined and get regular appointments to keep progress going.

it was 3 years ago i decided what i wanted for my back. and then 2 years ago when i reconnected with the tattooer of choice to make the tattoo. life got in the way and couldn't start it last season (winter). looks like I will be getting my measurements next month to start soon. then 1-3 seshes a month. i would rather heal it up quickly and regularly like that and I'm sure from an artistic output point of view buddy tattooer may prefer to not drag it out. who knows where your life will be in a couple years or if your tattooer will even be in the same spot/city/country.

at least that's the way i've always been tattooed. save your cash up in your underwear drawer and then commit and bang it out when the time is right.

there are more than enough half-finished tattoos walking around, especially now in the summer time. don't be another statistic!

there are more than enough half-finished tattoos walking around, especially now in the summer time. don't be another statistic!

Especially!! full back tattoos. A lot of people just do not appreciate what is required to sit through a full back tattoo. Time is not the only factor in the equation.

Haha, I had a mate who already had quite a few tattoos. Then he decided to smash full back rolling on to arse cheeks.

He got through outline and a quarter shading and that's where it stopped.

Then made some bullshit excuse that he was hitting a needle shy stage. That was 3 years ago. What a waste of such an awesome tattoo.

• 1 month later...

i agree with everyone recommending you to wait & get some smaller tattoos first. i just finished my back up a few weeks ago, i know damn well if i would have jumped in the deep end and got my back tattooed first, i probably never would have finished it or even finished the lines. back tattoos are no joke; they're a very big commitment between you and the tattooer, your pain tolerance, and of course your wallet. nothing ever works out well when it's rushed!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with not getting a back piece as your first. Use the cash to get a killer piece by someone you like. That way you'll see what you're getting into before jumping into such a massive commitment. I have several clients who have half finished HUGE back pieces who have not finished them for various reasons and drag out lengths of sittings, so the ink doesn't match and I have to constantly go back over and layer the existing ink.

Not talking you out of what you want, but in my shop we have a policy of honesty and realistic expectations on artists as well as client responsibility. We have happier customers walking away with beautiful pieces that way.