The inaugural 'hi, I'm new' thread

Raven

I've been lurking for a while, just soaking in the atmosphere, but I suppose the time has come to formally say hello.

So, hello!

I'm tattooed (a little), but I have bigger plans (don't we all?).

A little background - when I was in my mid-teens I decided I wanted a tattoo. I was underage, but I approached my mother and told her. I'd grown up around tattooed men (think old Navy type) so to me marked up skin was the norm. My mother said she would consider taking me to get a tattoo. The following day she and my grandmother came home, both sporting tattoos of their own. Apparently they wanted to beat me to it! I was so shocked and actually thought they were transfers to prove a point. No. My grandmother had got a tattoo. Needless to say they couldn't stop me after that. I was taken to the same shop five days later and got my first one. It was flash, not what I would pick now if I could go back, but hey, we live and learn.

Anyway, great forum and community! I love the banter and knowledge you guys seem to have. Hopefully (when the time comes) I'll be showcasing my own new ink.

:)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the nice words.

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do next and I may have a plan. It changes on a monthly basis, because so many tattoo styles and designs appeal to me. But, I think I'm actually decided now.

The first plan is to design a shoulder cap tattoo incorporating moths. I'm thinking full colour. I don't want to come too far onto the arm, but will touch onto the collarbone and spread out further at the back onto the shoulder blade. This led me to plan two - I already have swallows on my other shoulder blade (15 yrs old and in need of touching up--I think one is missing its beak), so I'm hoping to do a similar shoulder cap tattoo on that side, but with birds.

I have an artist in mind (found via The Brag Art List), so I'm currently collecting pictures to begin the big design.

It's not going to be a quick thing, and I doubt I'll be getting new ink soon, but it's exciting thinking I'm starting down that path again. It's two years since my last tattoos!