Top 10 items left behind in hotel rooms

Lochlan

I read this article this morning and found it amusing. Especially number three because if you think about majority of the individuals who use these and the variables that would make them leave or rather forget them it makes sense.

Lost & Found: Top 10 items left behind in hotel rooms

by Melanie Nayer (RSS feed) on Feb 2nd 2011 at 2:30PM

What's the most commonly left item from guests in hotel rooms? It's not the missing peanuts from the mini-bar.

Hotel guests are notoriously walking away from some of their most private possessions when they check out of hotels, but just how personal are the items? You'd be surprised. Following a check of its 31 UK hotels' lost property departments, Novotel revealed the strange objects left behind in hotel rooms by its guests during 2010.

Because of the amount of items housekeeping has picked up in Novotel rooms, the hotel has launched a new online boutique novotelstore.com so people can purchase everything from the bed to the art on the walls, just in case they want to go home with something different.

While mobile phone chargers and underwear top the list of most commonly left behind items, amongst the more unusual items guests forgot to take with them when they checked out were a car keys, wigs, musical instruments and dinner suits. The survey of Novotel hotels reveals the top ten items guests most commonly leave behind as:

1. Mobile phone chargers

2. Underwear

3. False teeth and hearing aids

4. Odd shoes and items of clothing

5. Car keys and house keys

6. Toiletries bags

7. Adult toys

8. Electric toothbrushes

9. Laptops

10. Jewelry

We want to know: What items have you left behind in hotel rooms? Did you get them back?

Gadling

So What have you left behind on purpose or not?

I'm guilty for number four and eight.

Yes travel related threads and blogs:

LST Preferred Tattoo Professionals

Travel and Shop Choosing

Favorite Restaurants

Let's talk about our travels and vacations

Travel to Cuba and Caribbean

Traveling for a tattoo shop

Traveling with Tattoos

Tattooed traveler top five destinations

What tattoo shops?

Who do you want to tattoo you?

SF Tattoo Convention 2010

San Diego

New Orleans

hmmm as far as i know i have never left behind anything in a hotel room. well maybe nothing that was important to me cuz i cant remember. usually i get really paranoid that im going to leave something behind and i check every draw, the bathroom, everywhere possible even if i didnt use it.

• 3 weeks later...

One time in NYC, these Canadians who were friends with the friend I was staying with checked out of their room, and then came to ours for a little visit. Then then remembered that they left 10 lbs of weed in their rooms freezer. They actually decided to go question housekeeping, who happened to be Jamaican, who laughed and told them that they had thrown out their "stinky vegetables." They then went down to the trash area, where more housekeeping staff informed them that their "stinky vegetables" had been disposed of properly.

I pack incredibly light when I travel. I consider some items disposable.

So it's not uncommon for me to leave behind all of the socks I packed, and depending on what I bought when I was traveling, all of the shirts I packed. (black Haynes or Calvin Klein tshirts in bulk for the win) I also leave behind at least $20, regardless of how long/short I've stayed in the hotel. I expect a lot from my cleaning ladies (I call for my bed to be remade any time it's messy) so I try to leave a little cheddar.

UNINTENTIONALLY I generally leave my toiletries, which sucks, cause I usually pack LUSH products and that stuff ain't cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice topic,I am write some my opinion regarding to this topic.Top 10 items left behind in hotel rooms

1.Odd shoes and items of clothing

2.Laptops

3.Jewelry

4.Mobile phone chargers

5. Car keys and house keys

6. Toiletries bags

7. Adult toys

8. Electric toothbrushes

9. Underwear

10.False teeth and hearing aids

• 3 months later...

I always try and make sure I check ever drawer, under the bed, bathroom or anywhere I might have left something.

My dude will usually leave all his socks, but that's on purpose. He likes to wear a new pair every day when travelling hahha. I usually even make sure to take any garbage from 'stinky vegetables' and that type of stuff just to make sure.

Also Dan, even better than pranking kids with the upper deck is pissing in their shampoo bottles. Me and a couple friends crashed a freshman college party a few years ago and one dude went and pissed in their shampoos because he tried the upper deck and couldn't preform. I'd be soooo bummed if I poured a bunch of pissy shampoo on my head or hands.

I am guilty of number 1

I generally leave liqopr behind because WHen i arrive at destination for vacation I have visions of drinking and letting loose, I usually just have 1 drink the whole stay (generally a week) So housekeeping gets a full bottle plus tip

Staying ina fairly ghetto Houston hotel while on a trip to cast large scale metal sculptures, one of our crew was interested in how they put tissues in the tissue dispenser in the bathroom. while feeling around to figure out the bracket holding the box in the counter, he found a fairly good sized pocket knife hidden on the box. the edge was a bit dulled, and it seemed to have been washed fairly intensely before being hidden.

it promptly became his new pocket knife.

Heh, no wonder mobile phone chargers are there on the list, forgot mine at a friends house while on vacation, luckily I could have it sent back home. I hope a hotel would to that, probably some won't be so considerate, but then again I guess it also depends on what kind of customer you were.