What do you look for in a tattoo removal facility / experience?

With the help of LS many of you are now getting solid information about tattoo removal and fading, from how it works to what you'll experience while having treatments done and the days / weeks after.

I don't want to prejudice this question / discussion with too much, but I want to know what you look for when you call for a consult / go for a consult at a facility that does tattoo removal. What's your experience been like, if you've chosen to go someplace different after 1+ treatments where you started, why? Google, YouTube, Yelp and so many other places have a boatload of info allowing you to do research before, but what makes you pick up the phone and call one spot over another. What factors into your decision and what has your experience been like?

The first time I got hit was over 15yrs.ago by a doctor in MD.I went to him because he was profiled in a magazine removing tattoos from Jack Rudy.The dude wouldn't give me a price over the phone,so I drove down there,and he said 450.00 It took him like 5 minutes,and he just came off like a douche Bag.I got the vibe that he didn't like tattoos,and he was rushing through the job.The other three times I went to a tattooer who did the laser.I was in NC,and was in a shop talking with the tattooer about laser,and he told me he went to a tattooer to get it done.The next day I went to Immortal Images in Charlotte,and the dude hit three tattoos in an hour for 150.00.I felt like Steve really took his time,and just felt comfortable with him.I drove back down there a second time,and got the three hit again.After the doctor,I've always been hit by a tattooer that was trained.I think the prices were much better,and I felt more comfortable getting lasered in a shop,then a doctors office.

I looked for depth of shop experience, but even then the 1st session is definitely a gamble. The 1st shop I tried had a girl who was very careful and conscientious, but then the management changed and they brought in new people, and the 1st session with the new operator drove me away to find another. Fortunately I did well at the 2nd shop.

@idyllsend - thanks for being honest. Mind if I ask what your package cost you / roughly how big of a piece were you having treated?

I don't mind, since it is (or was) information readily available online - I bought groupons through two companies; one was a laser clinic and the other was in a tattoo shop. The laser clinic offered 3 sessions at $50/each, for up to 3x3", mine was roughly that size. The tattoo shop offer was the same price, but they allowed me to buy 5 sessions, for up to the same size, and mine was probably 2x2". The tattoo shop also honoured their groupon price for the rest of my sessions, of which I had 10 altogether. The laser clinic gave me a deal of buy two sessions at regular price, and get the third at half off.

Mike,

I have had extensive removal on 4 older tattoos. I did some research into various places but ended up going many times to the place (which was at another tattoo shop) my (New) tattoo artist recommended. I did do a consult and a single session at a laser clinic/ beauty clinic and found them to be considerably more expensive.

The reason (other than price) why I preferred the tattoo shop style approach was mainly I was getting some removal/fading for some coverup work. The operator at the tattoo shop was heavily covered and also had other artists on hand that could advise how much lightening was required for the cover up.

My thoughts are if you were going for complete removal than either style would do the job.

If I was only going for lightening for a cover up I think I prefer the tattoo shop style. They IMHO have more experience with what can and cant be covered effectively and may end up costing you less due to a lower number of laser sessions required.

I did the usual checks and made sure both places were clean and registered / used reputable equipment / had portfolios etc etc.

Jason

Thanks @Shaggy

In a nutshell, my business is setup very different then just about everyone else who does this, and as of late I've been getting a TON of inquiries from around the world. I'm trying to ensure that we stay on the right path, as the way the business is running is "new" and breaking the mold from the traditional med-spa experience and also hurting a lot of those types of business owners feelings.

At the end of the day, I want to give people options, but I also want to make sure my clients don't feel taken advantage of, are paying a fair price and will continue to come back time and time again, and leave with a positive experience. So everything you're saying I'm noting, although we are doing most of these things anyway.

I take great pride in working with the tattoo community, not against them.

Thanks @idyllsend - since you've been treated by a laser clinic and in a tattoo shop setting, what were the pros and cons of each? Did you prefer one over the other (aside from the better pricing the tattoo shop offered)?

The clinic was definitely more 'businessy' in their dealing with me. They also insisted I use a numbing cream, which made my appointment about 30 minutes longer. They also didn't quite understand when I said I was done after 6 sessions, and tried to sell me another deal even after I said I was going to cover the area they had lightened.

The technician at the tattoo shop was much more personable, only offered a numbing cream, and didn't insist when I declined. I will definitely seek out another tattoo shop for the last piece I need lightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Well recently removed a tattoo from my armed, though didn't want to but I have to remove it because of my employment issue.

I removed it from Anti Aging Clinic in Toronto. I took appointment, went there. The session was for 30-40 mins for 2 weeks. First of all they checked my tattoo (size, color, intencity) according to which they gave treatment of tattoo removal to me!

Indeed it was a good experience for me.

• 3 months later...
With the help of LS many of you are now getting solid information about tattoo removal and fading, from how it works to what you'll experience while having treatments done and the days / weeks after.

I don't want to prejudice this question / discussion with too much, but I want to know what you look for when you call for a consult / go for a consult at a facility that does tattoo removal. What's your experience been like, if you've chosen to go someplace different after 1+ treatments where you started, why? Google, YouTube, Yelp and so many other places have a boatload of info allowing you to do research before, but what makes you pick up the phone and call one spot over another. What factors into your decision and what has your experience been like?

like a lot of people, I didnt think it was possible to remove a tattoo or lighten it. I saw some video, and used google. Went to a med spa type place. Your right and on to something with your business: Those of us that love tattoos are treated like pariahs at a lot of these places that don't care about our overall goals. Nor do they understand/care about tattoos or the industry (imho). So I guess the only thing I looked for, not knowing much about how removal worked, was cleanliness. That, and professionalism. shooting a quarter million dollar laser into my skin? you have to convince me you know what your doing. I think that's why people are attracted to doctors for these things, as when I was exploring my options, being left with horrific scars was my prominent fear. I think, again in my opinion, there is a lot of misinformation and not a lot known about how it works.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking into getting a tattoo (it’s a heart shaped tattoo-with black outline and red ink in the middle) removed and I’m considering the laser method. I already had consultation with three doctors and I had the same experience that Joe had. No one was giving me the price over phone but when met in person, I was so shocked to know the price! For me, I’d go with a dermatologist who can ensure me a proper treatment with a genuine cost. I think I have found such a clinic in Toronto ( Laser Tattoo Removal | Fairview Laser Clinic Toronto ).Not sure, it’s my friend who suggested, planning to visit the clinic next week.