Old newbie - 61 and just got my first

pidjones

Last week, Sarah Hurst of Vivid Tattoo, Knoxville, TN put a nice likeness of my submarine dolphins and SSBN patrol pin on my chest. My first ink at 61. I had seen a sailor getting a tattoo removed the old way - rock salt abrasion - back in the 70's when I was in, and that really scared me off (don't know what he had, but there was an old chief standing over him basically letting him now that if he cried out, he'd give him something to yelp about.

Now, my grandfather served in both world wars. Lied about his age to get in WW1, and that I'm sure is when he got his tattoos. I only remember a couple of them - a cupie doll and a faked line. Someday I might get that faked line on my forearm. Maybe.

I'm very pleased with my new ink. Not showy or perfect (the patrol pin has some wiggles and a run-away line, and the stars could be sharper). But, at only 4" (~10cm) wide, it has great detail - and the drop shadow was a neat surprise!

These represent 10 patrols on USS Von Steuben SSBN632. A total underwater time of 2.5 years. Although my Lord and my family mean more to me, I don't have a design in mind that would represent the marks they have left on me. I guess that remains for me to represent.

newly_inked_sm.jpg

Thanks, folks! Future plans? Maybe a faked line on my right forearm. If another in my family or close friends gets breast cancer, I'd consider a pink ribbon around one of my calves. Also considered one of the line drawings of the earth with my motto: "Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out." on my right bicep. I love the art of tattoos, but don't plan to collect them for the art. Mine will all have personal meaning.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I didn't,want much bigger than regulation. Bolder, yes. Have to admit the touch-up stung more than the original. Still a half hour before I take the bandage off, but it looked good in the mirror at the shop. Better than the first day, in fact. Lines are a bit heavier. I'll photograph it once I've washed it and let it dry - before I put her after care on.

- - - Updated - - -

The result: (this stung much more than when it was first tattooed)

touchup_thumb.jpg

I went in for a touch up thinking it would be a cake walk. I was really wrong. My tattoos were only a month old when getting them touched up. My artist said it takes a full 2-3 months to completely heal.

Lots of beautiful color and solid fill areas on yours. I can't imagine how much that stung!

• 4 weeks later...
Nice intro and good to hear your plans, careful. They can be addictive.... Nice they'll all have meaning though. I tend to go with the 'OH, THATS COOL' style of choosing.... Lol

Well, you guys are right about this - once I had the first, I wanted another. Appointment is for October 5th for my upper arm. Told her to start ~ 1" above the elbow crease and go as high as she needs to. I'd rather post a photo when it is done than describe it ahead of time.

The faked line may have to wait until just before I retire. I'll ask my functional manager while he's here from Germany in October. BTW, besides my grandfather having the faked line, and I was Navy too, a faked line is something that has been prepared for use when needed. I feel that each phase of my life has prepared me for the next, even though I didn't know what it would be. And, they can be very decorative.

I hope that I never have the occasion for the pink ribbon. Our family has seen enough breast cancer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My faked line idea is just one week away from being permanently placed on my right forearm! Getting so excited! It's like waiting for Christmas morning when I was a kid.

Since it is for my right arm, I'll be using my left to handle my tablet (hoping they have wifi), and I'm so right-handed that it will be lucky to get anything to work. My left has a mind of its own.

Nah, too old to consider full coverage (and some very ugly varicose veins to preclude anything on the calves - which I might have considered otherwise.) There are other things for the cash to go to, also. Gotta think of those retirement years and the money to enjoy them. I'd love to see all 48 lower states by motorcycle. I have a few foreign places on my bucket list, but I want to see all of my home country first. All except big cities. Not a fan of cities.

I'll continue to follow and be interested in inked skin, though. Had a ball at the Knoxville Tattoo Convention this year. A lot like a bike show. I love being around people freely enjoying and sharing their passion. It has the feeling of a powerful church service.

custom tapatalk sig goes here

• 2 weeks later...