HELP! Possible to re-do line work?

taylorn

So, I recently got a new tattoo . . . I'm not sure if it was my fault, or the artists's, or just bad luck but the line work isn't looking too hot. The lines look a little jagged or "smudged" and I think I have a few blown out spots (very slightly, however). But I do like the overall design and if I could salvage the tattoo rather than remove it (and spend a lot more money), I'd much rather do that.

Since I'm new to tattooing, is it at all possible to go over the outline with a slightly thicker line to clean it up a little? I imagine it would depend a lot on the tattoo, but I just wanted to see if it was even a possibility first.

Also, if I can get the lines re-done, what is the protocol? I'd rather go to another tattoo place, but is that looked down on or would someone even be willing to go over the lines?

Edited by taylorn
Clarification

Give it a little bit of time before doing anything. You posted recently that it hadn't peeled yet, and often when a tattoo hasn't totally healed the lines don't have the crispness that they will once the tattoo is properly settled in.

This is maybe a tougher pill to swallow, but sometimes, even if there are bits that aren't perfect on the tattoo, that's okay because you're talking about something handmade on skin. It inevitably will have flaws and imperfections and that those are beautiful in their own way.

I've travelled to Texas and London to get tattooed, and none of them are perfect. As blasphemous as it may sound to say this, my Steve Byrne hand tattoo has a few little flaws (specifically in the lines in some tougher areas). That being said, it's still perfect, and still my favorite and most meaningful tattoo (one of the few with a meaning). Perfection is boring, anyway.

I probably should have clarified...I'll wait a few months before I make any decisions. Just knowing I have options if it doesn't turn out will ease my anxiety about it. Thank you for your responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet advice all around here already. Again, don't be too concerned with a little blow out here and there. I'm with @Graeme on this, I actually like my little imperfections, makes them look real. Like with my hands, some places I've had a little drop out, I love it. It makes them look how tattoos kinda should look on the hands.

.... I actually like my little imperfections, makes them look real....

Me too. I guess exactly how imperfect is a personal preference. I've been seeing some tattoos online that are a little too "clean" or perfect to me. They look like machine made stickers. Maybe that is the style or artists intent, but I prefer something that looks like it was done by an human vs a machine.

Jagged lines and smudged lines (extreme blowout?) sounds like bad technical capability which also would probably bring the designs quality into question too. You might want to post a picture. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here that would be a good authority on the matter of what you should do next.

Ok. It's been over a month since I got the tattoo now. It's not bugging me as much but it still hasn't peeled.

I took the picture in sunlight so maybe that's why it looks sparkly/dry. However, it doesn't feel dry.

So how's it looking now?post-49607-14616887028_thumb.jpg

Edited by taylorn
grammar

Ok. It's been over a month since I got the tattoo now. It's not bugging me as much but it still hasn't peeled.

I took the picture in sunlight so maybe that's why it looks sparkly/dry. However, it doesn't feel dry.

So how's it looking now?[ATTACH]11054[/ATTACH]

Hello. Yah I would just go to a more qualified artist and get it relined. Looks like the original artist didn't stretch properly when he did the line work or wasn't skilled or confident with the long lines. I hope I'm not offending you when I say I'm not jazzed about the eye. I'd say if you are happy with it then leave the tattoo be, but if not then go get it relined. Even professionals have a bad day and we aren't robots so try not to think too badly about the original artist. It wouldnt do to be negative anyway. Gosh I sound like a mom. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

So how's it looking now?[ATTACH]11054[/ATTACH]

Hello. Yah I would just go to a more qualified artist and get it relined. Looks like the original artist didn't stretch properly when he did the line work or wasn't skilled or confident with the long lines. I hope I'm not offending you when I say I'm not jazzed about the eye. I'd say if you are happy with it then leave the tattoo be, but if not then go get it relined. Even professionals have a bad day and we aren't robots so try not to think too badly about the original artist. It wouldnt do to be negative anyway. Gosh I sound like a mom. Lol