New guy from Idaho, looking for help and advice about future tattoos

Aidan Metayer

Hey everybody, I'm From idaho (I'll be living at boise state as of august 22) and I love tattoos! I've got quite the list of tattoos I'd like to get but before I get any of them I wanted to post here a bit to run the ideas by you, and maybe get some recommendations on who to go to in boise because some of the tattoos I want are fairly complex so I want a really good guy!

1df7136eb8255c575102e59d13519735_zps9ac8dfbc.jpg

That's one design I definitely wanna get, I'd be willing to budge on the exact styling if an artist redesigned it in a way I liked and I'm not sure if I want to add color.

- - - Updated - - -

eee05bb58e76c05f445af01c12559ff9_zps898f5b9c.jpg

I'm also considering a tattoo based on this design (that I made based on a couple things I found online) but as you can see it obviously needs a lot of work.

- - - Updated - - -

b95d67567112aac535982424abb2d2c4_zps9b59f73b.jpg

I also want to get some sort of mountain goat tattoo, I thought this picture was a cool one. I would like the goats to be bigger (and maybe have less of them) but I think this picture is a good place to start to design a cool tattoo

- - - Updated - - -

Other than that, I want to get a rainbow arm band (about an inch and a half or two inches thick) going around my arm about an inch below the elbow. I haven't decided if I want both arms or just one.

I also want a scrimshaw tattoo, I grew up in stonington CT right next to new London where whaling was huge for a lot of years and I always thought scrimshaw was cool.

I might hold off on this next one, I want a tattoo that's one of the pencil and paper sketches in the textbook "grays anatomy" on the corresponding part of my body. The reason I might hold off is because I'm a pre-med student and I might like to use that tattoo as a sort of mile marker for when I get into medical school

I'm also planning on commemorative tattoos for both my parents and my two brothers. I haven't worked out all of them but my dads will be either the spanish "Osborn bull" or a retired fighting bull.

Is that a place in boise? I can't find it with a quick google search, just came up with a place in LA

- - - Updated - - -

So what do you guys think about the mountain goat design? Does that photo have good potential as a tattoo you think? Or should I just ask an artist to design a cool tattoo of mountain goats climbing.

Yeah, that shop looked pretty dope. Looks like their artists really know how to use color and I definitely want a lot of color on me.

Darcy Nutt at Chalice, dude. Her tattoos are bright, bold, colorful, and she's super versatile. If I was anywhere near Boise I'd get tattooed by her for sure.

Darcy Nutt at Chalice, dude. Her tattoos are bright, bold, colorful, and she's super versatile. If I was anywhere near Boise I'd get tattooed by her for sure.

For sure, I looked through her portfolio on the website and she's probably the one to go to for a lot of my ideas. Being a student it will take some time to get the money up but I guess I can start with the rainbow tattoo.

Do you think a rainbow arm band would be good? I read some posts about tattoo artists not liking arm bands so maybe a pride flag would be better.

Do you think a rainbow arm band would be good? I read some posts about tattoo artists not liking arm bands so maybe a pride flag would be better.

Flag over armband for sure. I don't know to what extent you plan on getting tattooed, but a flag tattoo gives you a lot more options in terms of future tattoos because you'll be able to work more things around it, whereas with an armband you're bisecting that space and really limiting what else you can put on your arm.

Flag over armband for sure. I don't know to what extent you plan on getting tattooed, but a flag tattoo gives you a lot more options in terms of future tattoos because you'll be able to work more things around it, whereas with an armband you're bisecting that space and really limiting what else you can put on your arm.

That makes sense, I do plan on getting a lot of tattoos but being a pre-med major I have to keep things in places I can cover with a long sleeve shirt for obvious reasons. I was thinking of using the arm band as a sort of border between tattoo and clear skin but I can see how a flag would work better if I get a full sleeve done.

I just had a cool idea, I could combine the rainbow flag and unicorn tattoos into one really cool image. I'm thinking like a badass unicorn rearing up with a guy on it's back holding the rainbow flag up in the air, like a war horse kind of deal. Darcy nutt should be able to make a really cool tattoo out of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again guys, being a student I'm obviously low on funds so my badass war unicorn rainbow flag waving rider sleeve will have to wait. I was thinking of starting with something smaller I could actually save up for in a reasonable amount of time.

I think a scrimshaw tattoo would be cool, I'm from Connecticut, near new London (a huge whaling town back in the day) and always Hohhot scrimshaw was cool. Do you think at would make a good tattoo?