Introduction and questions from a lurker

Kinglambert

Hi there,

I've been a lurker for a while and I've finally decided to join up, join in and ask for some advice in the process...

I'm looking to get a colour japanese back piece done based on stories from the Kwaidan book. I'm looking for tattooist recommendations, preferably in the North West of England (I'm based in Manchester), but I am willing to travel for something special. I have already started making a shortlist of artists that have caught my eye but I'd like to see what the community recommends as this is my first tattoo.

So yeah, hello and thanks in advance

I'd like something based on the story of Mimi-Nashi-Hoichi

- - - Updated - - -

Danny Rossiter is in Manchester and does really nice Japanese tattoos: Danny Rossiter | Rain City Tattoo Collective

This is one on the shortlist and I have seen some really good work from him.

These two guys are in Leeds...

Instagram. Instagram

Some guys in London@ Instagram. Instagram

Instagram. Instagram

Those are some nice recommendations in Leeds that I hadn't come across before. Massive thanks

Japanese Tattoo by Fil Wood Black Crown Tattoo

Maybe in 5yrs.this guy can do a nice backpiece@ Instagram

Fil Wood is very high on my shortlist

Welcome. Good luck narrowing it down!

Thanks. I'm already narrowing it down thanks to the help on here and viewing other threads. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any personal experience from any the artists mentioned so far or the ones I've mentioned are on my shortlist?

- - - Updated - - -

Alex Reinke- Now that's something worth traveling for! Thanks for the tip

Thanks. I'm already narrowing it down thanks to the help on here and viewing other threads. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any personal experience from any the artists mentioned so far or the ones I've mentioned are on my shortlist?

Poster @xcatcatx is getting her back done by Danny Rossiter. Pictures here.

@MrToby is getting his done by Ian Flower, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

@MrToby is getting his done by Ian Flower, I believe. There are pictures of his back on the Full Back Piece thread.

Hey Kinglambert,

As Graeme said, I'm getting my back piece done by Danny Rossiter at Rain City. He's been absolutely brilliant, a really sound guy with a super steady hand and a great eye for detail. As this is my first tattoo, I must admit I was a little bit nervous about it so needed to feel confident and comfortable from the start - and I'm a worrier! - Danny was so laid back and cool about it all it was clear from the start that was the guy to take it on. His work speaks for itself so nothing much more to say really... :p

To be honest, everyone at Rain City are rather lovely!

xccx

P.S. This is where we are now, 10h in:

fb87455673cd1b3570fe2bc6276920a1.jpg

Hey Kinglambert,

As Graeme said, I'm getting my back piece done by Danny Rossiter at Rain City. He's been absolutely brilliant, a really sound guy with a super steady hand and a great eye for detail. As this is my first tattoo, I must admit I was a little bit nervous about it so needed to feel confident and comfortable from the start - and I'm a worrier! - Danny was so laid back and cool about it all it was clear from the start that was the guy to take it on. His work speaks for itself so nothing much more to say really... :p

To be honest, everyone at Rain City are rather lovely!

xccx

P.S. This is where we are now, 10h in:

fb87455673cd1b3570fe2bc6276920a1.jpg

That's a really nice back piece. Are you going colour or black? I'm based around the corner from Rain City, which is hella convenient

- - - Updated - - -

@MrToby is getting his done by Ian Flower, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

@MrToby is getting his done by Ian Flower, I believe. There are pictures of his back on the Full Back Piece thread.

Thanks for the tips. I'm having trouble finding @MrToby back piece though

Hi there @Kinglambert and welcome. I am indeed getting my back piece done by Ian Flower. He is seriously talented and quite understated. In my opinion one of the absolute best Japanese style artists in the country. A lot of his larger work is predominantly drawn straight on with only the major elements stenciled. I've included a picture of my back below that I also posted in the Full Back Piece thread. We are only about 5 or 6 hours in now and the only bit that was stenciled was the major features of the head.

If you have a look at my gallery as well I've got a couple of thigh pieces by Ade at Nine Tattoo in Brighton. He is a super friendly and talented guy. Though Brighton would be a long way for you to travel. None the less check out his work here: ade tatu | ade tatu

Good luck in your search my friend.

Hi there @Kinglambert and welcome. I am indeed getting my back piece done by Ian Flower. He is seriously talented and quite understated. In my opinion one of the absolute best Japanese style artists in the country. A lot of his larger work is predominantly drawn straight on with only the major elements stenciled. I've included a picture of my back below that I also posted in the Full Back Piece thread. We are only about 5 or 6 hours in now and the only bit that was stenciled was the major features of the head.

If you have a look at my gallery as well I've got a couple of thigh pieces by Ade at Nine Tattoo in Brighton. He is a super friendly and talented guy. Though Brighton would be a long way for you to travel. None the less check out his work here: ade tatu | ade tatu

Good luck in your search my friend.

That's coming along really well for 5-6 hours in. Someone did recommend New Skool Tattoos earlier but I've not done much research into them yet, which is something I'll need to rectify.

Thanks for pointing me towards your pics as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I would listen to @xcatcatx that back piece is super solid considering it is so convenient for you.

Yeah, It's quality work and unbelievably convenient, but I'm willing to travel (within reason) for the right tattooist. If that tattooist happens to be located on my doorstep, thats a bonus

Someone did recommend New Skool Tattoos earlier but I've not done much research into them yet, which is something I'll need to rectify.

Yeah New Skool is definitely worth checking out. Ian owns the place and as I've said previously does what I reckon is some of the best Japanese work in the country. If you want to see more of it then this is his Webstagram page: Ian Flower @ianflowernst Instagram photos | Websta

Well, it's on. I'm booked in with Fil Wood at Black Crown on the 29th September. Thanks for all of your help with the selection process, it hasn't been easy. I'll be back on here to post updates at a later date.

Also, thank to everyone who was kind enough to show off their tattoo's, it really helped to set a bar. You all have some amazing pieces to be hella proud of :D

• 1 month later...