Top 10 Tattoos Worth Avoiding

My oldest daughter wanted to slam some bullshit passage down her rib panel.

I said, sweetheart...I love you, but if you ruin prime real estate like that with shit text, I'll be forced to trade you for another daughter with more brains.

She's 25 this year and has learned the sound advice given by her father.

I said, sweetheart...I love you, but if you ruin prime real estate like that with shit text, I'll be forced to trade you for another daughter with more brains.

parent of the year. seriously.

This is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

My daughter is five so I have some time before this becomes an issue but considering how much time she has already spent inside our local tattoo shop I will clearly need a strategy when the time comes. I'm thinking that if she wants a tattoo as soon as she turns 18 I will pay her to wait. But I will pay her in money towards whatever tattoo she ultimately decides on. The longer she waits the more money she will have to spend on getting an awesome tattoo. Of course this could backfire and she could end up with a full back piece of an infinity sign exploding into a flock of birds. Life is full of risks I suppose.

My 10 year old niece was telling me her ideas for future tattoos... And they kind of kicked ass!

She wants a dragon on her right arm, with vines & leaves wrapped around it. Then, she wants a wolf fighting a snake on her left arm. On her back she wants a hippocamp (horse/fish hybrid). She's thinking maybe a griffin on her thigh. I was like, "Damn! I might want some of those, too!" Wonder what she'll be thinking in 8+ years...

My 10 year old niece was telling me her ideas for future tattoos... And they kind of kicked ass!

She wants a dragon on her right arm, with vines & leaves wrapped around it. Then, she wants a wolf fighting a snake on her left arm. On her back she wants a hippocamp (horse/fish hybrid). She's thinking maybe a griffin on her thigh. I was like, "Damn! I might want some of those, too!" Wonder what she'll be thinking in 8+ years...

Can we get your niece on here to give people advice about what tattoos to get? These are all killer.

Just recently posted a similar comment on another thread, but like all you guys are kind of hinting at, it really comes down to how educated you are about tattooing. I feel so privileged lately that I took the time to educated on tattoos. You guys on LST have helped a bunch as well, thanks.

That there's being exposed to a good insight. My 10 year old son is the same. He's constantly talking about his future body suit. How he's gonna slam a huge battleship across his back, full flight eagle across his chest, lightning bolts and skulls.

They're funny as. When we returned from riding one of the motorcycles the other arvo and as we're rolling the bike back into the lounge room, my 9 year old daughter looked at him and said...Dylan, I reckon when your older, your gonna be a tattooed biker.

The boy just took one look at her and simply said...100%.

I can't say I've never been tempted to get a quote tattooed on me. Knowing it'd be illegible in some years has held me back. Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night... Poe, how cliche. =P

Is it me, or is the relative's signature, taken off a greeting card, getting a little overdone? I feel like putting one's grandfather's signature next to one's breast is a little...odd. When I bring this up to the ladies who want to get this, they kind of look at me blankly. I think I would be put off if I was a man (or a lady into other ladies) and I took off said ladies' bra, only to find her grandpa's signature, I'd put the bra right back on her and go home...

• 3 weeks later...
My daughter is five so I have some time before this becomes an issue but considering how much time she has already spent inside our local tattoo shop I will clearly need a strategy when the time comes. I'm thinking that if she wants a tattoo as soon as she turns 18 I will pay her to wait. But I will pay her in money towards whatever tattoo she ultimately decides on. The longer she waits the more money she will have to spend on getting an awesome tattoo. Of course this could backfire and she could end up with a full back piece of an infinity sign exploding into a flock of birds. Life is full of risks I suppose.

This is a great idea! I will remember this one! I was thinking (if/when we get around to young'uns) that I would abuse my power as a parent and just indoctrinate my offspring with the idea that tattoos don't turn out right until you're 25...as though it is some mystery of developmental skin chemistry. I am hoping that if I start them young enough and am matter of fact enough, it will just become a part of their world view.

When my best friends husband died unexpectedly she asked if I would get a matching tattoo with her to honor him. I said, "Absolutely!" It was supposed to be a grasshopper on our right foot. We searched for hours until she found the image she wanted. About a half an hour before we were to go to the shop she pulled a T-Shirt out of the drawer, paused, held it to her chest and starting crying. She looked over at me, held up the shirt and said, "I changed my mind. I want to do this instead." It was his phrase, he said it all the time 'It's all good'. I never wanted any writing or anything like this but now it is on my foot and I don't regret it for a moment. Truth be told, at the time, I would have had 'Live, Love, Laugh' tattooed on my forehead if it meant relieving her grief for one second. That same friend was diagnosed with cancer in May. When she told me about it I took a sharpie and drew a line through 'It's all good' and wrote 'Fuck cancer' snapped a pic and text it to her. She responded, "Tee hee. No no mama put it on the other foot. I don't have time to die." She had her last radiation and chemo treatments yesterday and the tumors have already shrunk over 90%. The moral of this long post, sometimes tattoos are just tattoos and sometimes they connect us to those who help us walk through the darkest shit in life. Sometimes a bad tattoo can turn out to be your favorite. Lest we not judge what we don't know.