Hello Brand new about to make an important descion Please adivse

Brit1234

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this

My mother and I were extremely close. We had a bond that cannot be put into words. She battled emphysema for about 20 years and sadly last Christmas lost the battle. I decided that I want a portrait tattoo of her on my back. I was first thinking of her in her younger years at her prime and having her drawn into an angel. This would be before I was born. I have pictures of how beautiful she was during that time she was 35. That is how I picture her now in perfect health at her prime happy and a beautiful angel.

However, a few people suggested to me getting a tattoo of her when we were at the closes part of our relationship How she looked up in age a few months before she passed (before she suffered) They said it would be more meaningful . She passed at 76 and it would be a picture of her about 8 months prior to her passing. Either way she is beautiful to me….

So now I can’t make up my mind. This is really important to me and will be with me forever just like her love.

I wanted the advice and thoughts of people other than my family and friends.

Thank you so much

Hello and welcome! Either way is going to be meaningful to you. I would say go with the younger portrait because that seems to be more what you want. I'm not super crazy about having her drawn as an angel because I think that a regular realistic portrait without embellishment would be stronger, but ultimately, it comes down to what you want and what you and your artist decide will work best. Who are you thinking about going to for this tattoo?

Hi. Brit1234

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I hope what Ever you Decide to get helps you treasure the bond with your mom even more. Know that I too had a special loss, I decided to do some thing that symbolizes the bond because I have always been skeptical about Portrait body art, The Artist would have to be extremely good and Specialize in Portraits to get the portrait to be exactly how you want it.

I would go with a Portrait that reminds you of the times where you & Mom' were the Happiest & had that Strongest Bond...you would also want a Portrait that would always make you Smile! No Matter if she's older or younger. I hope it comes out Great! What Ever you Decide! :)

I'd go with the picture you find yourself looking at more, that brings you the most joy when you look at it...

If you want to picture her young and in her prime, that will make you happy. It's still her. You had the bond with the woman your mother was, so whichever image you go with, it's her.

As long as you have an amazing portrait artist, you should be happy either way.

Hi Graeme- thanks for the advice I'm going to talk to the Artist and see what he says. I'm going with Noah Ryan in Maryland I will update you on what I decided and pictures :o

- - - Updated - - -

thank you and I'm sorry for your loss too. Any picture of my mom will make me smile.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks TrixieFaux - I research and researched Artist and I feel this one will be great! Ill update you when I get it done :)

• 4 weeks later...

tattoo_thumb.jpg I FINALLY made up my mind. I picked a picture of her in her prime and had the artist make her into an angel. I picked her prime because this is how I now picture her young, beautiful, happy and most importantly NOT suffering. The artist picked the wing, and background. This tattoo is ALOT larger than I wanted but no turning back now. I sat through 17 hours of inking. I still have to come back for another full day session. He still has to do the other dove, clouds, sun and finish the rose. He really got into this and worked on me as much as he could. I still didn't know it would be THIS BIG. Still not sure how I feel about it because it's SO LARGE. I am very happy and excited with the detail of my mother, which took the longest. Please let me know what you think .... thank you

- - - Updated - - -

tattoo_486092_thumb.jpg I FINALLY made up my mind. I picked a picture of her in her prime and had the artist make her into an angel. I picked her prime because this is how I now picture her young, beautiful, happy and most importantly NOT suffering. The artist picked the wing, and background. This tattoo is ALOT larger than I wanted but no turning back now. I sat through 17 hours of inking. I still have to come back for another full day session. He still has to do the other dove, clouds, sun and finish the rose. He really got into this and worked on me as much as he could. I still didn't know it would be THIS BIG. Still not sure how I feel about it because it's SO LARGE. I am very happy and excited with the detail of my mother, which took the longest. Please let me know what you think .... thank you

- - - Updated - - -

tattoo_thumb.jpg Hello, So I decided and started the tattoo. What do you think?

I FINALLY made up my mind. I picked a picture of her in her prime and had the artist make her into an angel. I picked her prime because this is how I now picture her young, beautiful, happy and most importantly NOT suffering. The artist picked the wing, and background. This tattoo is ALOT larger than I wanted but no turning back now. I sat through 17 hours of inking. I still have to come back for another full day session. He still has to do the other dove, clouds, sun and finish the rose. He really got into this and worked on me as much as he could. I still didn't know it would be THIS BIG. Still not sure how I feel about it because it's SO LARGE. I am very happy and excited with the detail of my mother, which took the longest. Please let me know what you think .... thank you

- - - Updated - - -

it sure does feel good. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I guess your right I really didn't think about the size I ws more concern with the detail and it looking like my mom and the added detail is a plus

I have actually been asked about this particular thing before, and I myself have given a lot of thought to the topic.... I would advise you to get the image that you think of when your Mother comes to mind. How do you see her in your memory? My Mother's image in my mind is always that of her when I was a teen ager for some reason.