Need ADVISE On FINISHING Back Pieces...

WorthyOfLove1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the Time to Read this....

I wanted to get some advise on some work I need finished on my back.

I have an Artist that Started a Piece on My back; 1/2 the piece is done and He had started Outlines on the other side but It's not finished and I am needing to get it done; I was considering finishing it with a New Artist that saw the Piece incomplete and has offered to finish it for me; I have seen his work and it's good; he's done realism and is also very good with script.

I am a little Confused; I really like the Artist that started The Job; but I feel like he's Over charging Me to finish the Job & he's also difficult to book with; I don't know if I should just wait it out or if I should take the risk with a New Artist...

Artist Please Chime In & If Any One that has gone through this Before with Any Opinions & Experienced that Would like to Share them; It would be very helpful! Thanks!

Stick with the original artist. Book with him whenever possible and ask if you can have multiple sessions scheduled in advance at a pace you can afford. I'd like to also ask how do you think the artist is over charging you? Getting a tattoo that large of scale I'm guessing he is charging you by the hour. If that is the case the hourly rate is non-negotiable; it is what it is. If you couldn't afford it then you should of never started the project to begin with.

The Original Artist Moved Shops & is Now at a More "HighEnd" Shop I am assuming - He did a Special Piece for me when I first found him browsing through the Internet; I was charged by the Piece back then - After the Move - I followed him to the New Shop (because I like to Stick with What I know) but Now he is Charging Hourly @ 160 an hour. It's Two Shoulder Blade Piece approximately (4X4)

- - - Updated - - -

BrianH.

Thank You for the response. I am Sorry but I Prefer not to disclose that Information.

- - - Updated - - -

You get what you pay for. It's permanent and on your body, how much is that worth to you? Don't skimp. There's probably a reason why your original artist is tough to book with, most likely because s/he is that good and highly sought after. Go original or go home.

I understand your point - It's Not About Not having the resources; It's about being Over Charged after the Artist hasn't been Stable with his Pricing.

We Can't Help You without Knowing the Quality of the Work. good Luck.

I know the Quality of my Artist-It's kind of hard to book with him to finish the Job in the first Place; He's hard to get ahold of even When I reach out to him. but I won't put my Artists out there like that. I am just trying to get constructive ideas as to what I should do because he's been the only Artist I work with & I don't really know anything else.

I know the Quality of my Artist-It's kind of hard to book with him to finish the Job in the first Place; He's hard to get ahold of even When I reach out to him. but I won't put my Artists out there like that. I am just trying to get constructive ideas as to what I should do because he's been the only Artist I work with & I don't really know anything else.

It is tough to for any of us to say "stick with the original artist" or "switch to the second" because there is a possibility that it might be better to have it finished by neither and go to a more qualified 3rd artist.

But if you are happy with your tattoos so far I would stick with your current artist.

People have given you advice, it just seems that it wasn't the answer you wanted. Its your body, get tattooed by whoever you want to get tattooed by. Seems you've made up your mind.

Thanks for your response. My Mind is Not Made up - I have until Saturday. I will Decide what's best based on what feels right - I need to get the Job finished either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Stick with the original artist. Book with him whenever possible and ask if you can have multiple sessions scheduled in advance at a pace you can afford. I'd like to also ask how do you think the artist is over charging you? Getting a tattoo that large of scale I'm guessing he is charging you by the hour. If that is the case the hourly rate is non-negotiable; it is what it is. If you couldn't afford it then you should of never started the project to begin with.

The Original Artist Moved Shops & is Now at a More "HighEnd" Shop I am assuming - He did a Special Piece for me when I first found him browsing through the Internet; I was charged by the Piece back then - After the Move - I followed him to the New Shop (because I like to Stick with What I know) but Now he is Charging Hourly @ 160 an hour. It's Two Shoulder Blade Piece approximately (4X4)

Thanks for your response. My Mind is Not Made up - I have until Saturday. I will Decide what's best based on what feels right - I need to get the Job finished either way.

not sure how long ago you got tattooed by this artist, but he may have improved enough over that time enough to increase his price. also, moving to a different shop, he is likely held to the way they run the shop and may not get the option to give you a special.

in my experience, artists try to fit in clients they've worked with in the past before new clients. maybe try dropping by the shop instead of calling. if you call and speak to a shop manager, they probably don't know the relationship you have with your artist.

good luck!

not sure how long ago you got tattooed by this artist, but he may have improved enough over that time enough to increase his price. also, moving to a different shop, he is likely held to the way they run the shop and may not get the option to give you a special.

in my experience, artists try to fit in clients they've worked with in the past before new clients. maybe try dropping by the shop instead of calling. if you call and speak to a shop manager, they probably don't know the relationship you have with your artist.

good luck!

Thanks so much. I appreciate the feed back. He did work at a previous shop where he would book his own & I want to say was more flexible with pricing but now not so much; which in A way is not good for his Loyal Existing Clients because they have to end up paying more than they bargain for. I totally understand his situation & wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by finishing what he started with someone else; but I am just weighing out my options. I Tattooed with him over a year ago & recently went back for more work. He's been good all along. Thanks Again!

Thanks so much. I appreciate the feed back. He did work at a previous shop where he would book his own & I want to say was more flexible with pricing but now not so much; which in A way is not good for his Loyal Existing Clients because they have to end up paying more than they bargain for. I totally understand his situation & wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by finishing what he started with someone else; but I am just weighing out my options. I Tattooed with him over a year ago & recently went back for more work. He's been good all along. Thanks Again!

I'm sure it's frustrating paying more than you initially expected to pay for that tattoo, but a couple of things stick out here: 1) if you go to a different artist to finish the tattoo, you might not have a consistent quality throughout the tattoo, especially when you seem to be happy with your existing work; 2) maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but it really rubs me the wrong way that somebody offered to finish a tattoo by a local, available tattooer at a lower rate. To me, it doesn't speak very highly of that second tattooer's integrity, and while I'm sure stuff like this happens all the time, it isn't an approach to getting tattooed that we really condone here.

I'm sure it's frustrating paying more than you initially expected to pay for that tattoo, but a couple of things stick out here: 1) if you go to a different artist to finish the tattoo, you might not have a consistent quality throughout the tattoo, especially when you seem to be happy with your existing work; 2) maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but it really rubs me the wrong way that somebody offered to finish a tattoo by a local, available tattooer at a lower rate. To me, it doesn't speak very highly of that second tattooer's integrity, and while I'm sure stuff like this happens all the time, it isn't an approach to getting tattooed that we really condone here.

I am Happy with my Current Artist & my existing Work but he's a Hassle to get a hold of (I contact him & don't get a response for 3 or 4 days) & scheduling outlines was a struggle & finishing would be my 3rd Session; this has taken longer & cost more than I expected; My Main Concern having another Artist finish is that once it's complete it wont look evenly done...My right Blade is done but needs Color touch up & my left just has outlines...I can see why it would rub the wrong way but I Was just in a Shop/Setting where work was being done & was questioned why my Piece was Incomplete. This considerable Artist is also very good & in high demand-I also like his work) which Is why the thought crossed my mind. He seems a little more reliable time wise but then again the question is (should I take the risk) or Just Finish What I Started with the First.

I've never offered to finish a tattoo started by someone else. Usually the only time I've been in the position to finish something someone else started was if something happened with their previous tattooer, ie moved too far away, etc.

If it's just someone offering you a "deal" then I'd say just stick with who at started it.

Best of luck

I can see your just really wanting to have this tattoo finished and can definitely appreciate how frustrating it is that it's taking so long.

Don't let the change in price confuse you too much, I'd take a guess and just say he's working in with shop policy, but everything compounds when we don't know what's going on.

Make an appointment to see him face to face. Sit down with your schedule and match it against his. Iterate your need to have the tattoo completed. Knuckle in and smash it out...if resources are not the issue.

It's the communication both sides that makes it harder half the time.

Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be sweet once you sit down with the person and forge a way forward.