Getting "un-coverable" tattoos

ThatGuy

Lately I've been thinking about in which order I shall cover myself in badass tattoos. I've currently got my back and upper arms done. Next up are probably my legs, and a chest-piece is definitely on my list. I really want to get my lower arms done as well, but I'm still slightly hesitant as it somehow feels like a bigger deal (because it can't be covered by a t-shirt).

Basically I'm wondering what your rationale is/was around this? Saving certain areas for last, or just getting tattoos in areas that you felt like at the time?

I knew I wanted my arms covered from the beginning, I kept filling spaces on my right arm since I was toying with the idea of something more cohesive on the left (still undecided on that, really like the piecemeal look but there's definitely something to be said about a whole sleeve). I was apprehensive about going below the elbow at first but I knew it would be done eventually, plus a tshirt wouldn't fully cover anything on my bicep anyways, so I just said fuck it and kept going. The lowest point is about an inch away from my hand now and it's all coming together quite nicely, I got some shirts for work with extra long sleeves and go on my merry way.

I know it can feel like a huge step to go beyond the elbow but it's a hurdle I'm glad I came over, maybe I jumped in a little sooner than I should have but it felt right and I'm glad I did it.

@ThatGuy I know what you are going through. For a long time all my old less good ink was easily covered by short sleeves and shorts. I was happy that it could all be covered. I had an epiphany and realised that why am I not getting what I want due to what I think others might think.

So fast forward 2 years and I now have 3/4 sleeves and chest pieces and in the process of doing backpiece and plans to keep going. I still however have no plans to do neck/hands etc as I myself want the ability to cover it all if I want to and that is entirely my choice.

I was as nervous as hell at 1st having art that is shown in my normal day to day clothing but now I can safely say it is not that a big deal. Some say they don't like it (mainly only parents) but everyone else either doesn't care or you great great comments on your great artwork.

On a whole I can say having visible work has been positive for me and I wish I didnt wait so long to do what I wanted.

Long story short. Do what you want, dont let others dictate where and what you want. Dont get hung up on visible work and what others think as from my experience it wont be as bad as you expect. Even my mother which is possibly the main disliker of my visible work has made the comment while out for lunch "yours are much better than those" in reference to some mediocore work on others.

May not have answered your question but my thoughts are do what you want and where you want. From my experience visible tattoos are not that big a deal.

Cheers.

For me, I'm all about balance. I'm slowing chipping away at all my limbs. I couldn't have one limb completely filled while the others are blank.

I think the last spot I'll ever have are those weird inner thigh spots.

balance guy too - i only have six pieces now but the next five will be spread out too

now i have 3 lower right leg, 1 lower left, 1 thigh left, 1 left upper arm

next five are: right upper arm, lower left leg, r/l upper chest, r/l rib shot, right thigh

i basically have the pieces picked out and i figure that these five will be done over next year or so at which point i will evaluate from there

spots i would like to do but dont feel comfortable as i work in a elementary school (counselor) are forearms and neck - i love both spots as placements for tattoos but i feel it might compromise my employment (current and future) and also the kids are work with are so distractible as it is i could imagine losing too much instruction time to "tattoo related discussions" - little kids will say whatever is on their mind as many of you may know

anyway - i'm not too bummed about holding back in those regards for now - plenty of canvas open :)

spots i would like to do but dont feel comfortable as i work in a elementary school (counselor) are forearms and neck - i love both spots as placements for tattoos but i feel it might compromise my employment (current and future)

I have a similar rule: no hands, no neck, no face. And no feet too for some reason, I dunno why.

I don't care about balance. I'm pretty off-plumb, anyway. I do have desires for a forearm tattoo of a faked line, but since I teach adults from all over the world for a major multi-national, that will have to wait a few years unless my functional manager approves. He is due over from Europe in a few months, and I'll ask him then. He is very fair and knows me pretty well. I know he will say to go ahead unless there is a real problem. I also plan one for my bicep (what there is of it) that should easily cover with short sleeves. These are both for my right arm. My only existing tattoo is over my left breast.

I knew I wanted my arms covered from the beginning, I kept filling spaces on my right arm since I was toying with the idea of something more cohesive on the left (still undecided on that, really like the piecemeal look but there's definitely something to be said about a whole sleeve).

I have been struggling with this a lot lately, too. I can appreciate both the piecemeal and the cohesive look but I can't decide what I want to wear myself. My first (and only) tattoo I got two years ago is a black and grey piece that I don't necessarilly want to cover, but I'm heavily into Japanese and it doesn't go with that at all. I'm thinking one cohesive arm, and one piecemeal 'collection' arm.

I'm in the same boat as some others here; no hands, face, neck, or feet and it feels like a big deal to go below the elbow even though I'm pretty sure nobody would care. After all, tattooing is for me and those others who appreciate it!

I've just had a forearm tattoo, but I don't see it as in-coverable. I would only put hands, neck and face in that category. Maybe it's different for women? I can always put a cardigan on to go for meetings.

@Shaggy's post resonated - for me getting a more visible tattoo has partly been about realising that I don't need approval of others.

I've just had a forearm tattoo, but I don't see it as in-coverable. I would only put hands, neck and face in that category. Maybe it's different for women? I can always put a cardigan on to go for meetings.

@Shaggy's post resonated - for me getting a more visible tattoo has partly been about realising that I don't need approval of others.

For me, approval isn't really the worry. Work isn't an issue either as I freelance and work from home. Still feels like a huge step to go below the elbows, so will probably do legs and chest first.

• 2 weeks later...

@ThatGuy I guess it's a little different with me but I feel that anything I can cover with a dress-shirt or button-up long sleeve is good enough for me. Probably why I haven't tattooed my hands or neck yet.

I get tattoos where I find will fit along the curves of my body/flow well and how much space I need for the particular piece I want. Like someone said earlier, it just depends on the availability of the artist that I want work from.

Right now I only have 5 tattoos, and most of them are on my upper arm. In 2 weeks I'm getting bot my elbow ditch and forearm done. I don't feel like I'm getting un-coverable. Like other people here have said I can just throw on a long sleeve shirt or a sweater. I have one of my feet done and I don't really think that much about it!