Friend getting 'Avant-Garde' cover-up

someotherguy

A buddy of mine, who is new to getting tattooed, is getting a guy named Yann Black in Montreal to tattoo his chest in a couple of weeks. I never heard of him so I looked him up and well..it's not my thing at all but my buddy is into what he calls the new 'avant-garde tattoo movement'.This chest piece he is getting will be a cover-up of other squiggly lines he has all over his chest in a similar style (which he already wants gone after only having had it for a year & 1/2). I feel like my boy is making a huge mistake but it is his body and maybe I should just mind my own business. Any opinions from you guys would be appreciated.

Here is Yann Black's website

your meat is mine

Style and taste is another thing but I think for what his tattoos are they're well done.

This is how I've been dealing with my buddy as he is sort of asking my opinion on the matter and I've just said that particular style isn't my thing.I just found out that he booked his appointment and gave a deposit a year ago. Which means the one he is getting covered up was only 6 months old when he decided to tattoo over it. The one he has now is also tattooed technically well…Anyways, thanks for the input all.

My favorite ones on there are also the most conventional: the heart and the skull. Getting a full or half sleeve is radical enough without having to reinvent the style.

Part of the reason I got traditionalish Japanese style tattoos is because those images have stood the test of time for well over 100 years. Getting a koi or a dragon is downright conservative these days.

I agree that this artist does solid work, just not in a style that I would ever get. What I think bothers me most is that some of the designs would be better (imo) if they were smaller. Like the skele-dog and flower on the girl's back. So much great space there and it's all empty.

Let's all just take a moment and imagine that the dog was actually a tiger and the flower was a giant snake. And they were fighting.

• 4 weeks later...

It feels unfair for me to judge because I find this style so aesthetically unappealing to begin with. But whenever I see giant pieces like the ones on Yann Black's site I just get bummed out because they're a total cock-block.

I'm curious to see how well this style will cover other work.

I'm guessing he's probably going to lay down a lot of black silhouettes (like in those clouds). Meh.