Help me nail down my design?

Raven

So I've been debating whether to post this thread, and I know you'll advise me to talk to my tattooer, which I will, but I also would like some input from the experts on here. I don't want to take too many ideas to him. I'd rather have a solid idea in my head which he can then do his thing with. My appointment is booked for early November.

I'm looking to get a shoulder cap tattoo incorporating the front of my shoulder (a little of the collarbone), the very top of the arm, and a fair bit of the rear of the shoulder blade. My intention is for this to be made up of fairly realistic, coulourful moths. I initially wanted to have them overlapping, with little skin showing in between, with the overall effect of the moths flocking to me. I'm now wondering if this may be too busy? My next thoughts were to incorporate a lace patch beneath the moths, therefore the moths could be further apart?? I just can't decide which would last and look better in terms of design?

My intentions for the future is to mirror the tattoo on my other shoulder, but with birds. So which effect would work better? I know I could fill the space with other things like smoke etc, but I want something fairly realistic looking but also dramatic.

Any ideas or tips most welcome and appreciated.

:)

So I'm a novice, but here are my thoughts... I like lace designs, but they tend to have defined edges, which may not work where you want and may detract from the moths? And (personal opinion) lace looks best with only minimal use of colour. Lace might be a good approach for having both shoulders though, as moths and birds are going to look quite different. Other options to tie the two shoulders - a loose geometric pattern, something floral, or jewels/beads?

Who are you going to for it, if you don't mind saying? Would you/they be happy to start with a few moths and build from there, deciding on background later?

I haven't had chance to talk with my tattooer in depth as yet. I'm sure he'd be willing to discuss and suggest, but I suppose I wanted to have the general idea set in my own head. I do like the feminine look of lace, however I am worried it will look cheap or dated in a few years.

A couple of links to my artist:

https://twitter.com/CallamGodley and https://www.facebook.com/tattoosbycallamgodley

I have a tip - you don't need a solid idea, you just need an idea. When you have a tattooer whose work you like, hamstringing them with your narrow artistic direction will not allow them to be an artist or fully use their talent/style. Why don't you just tell your tattooer what kind of placement and that you want colorful realistic moths (a couple pictures), possibly overlapping. People have a real hard time letting go of the process - you picked a tattooer because you like their style - let them use it. My best tattoos are a result from me finding the right artist and letting go; all the old ones I had, which I got all control- ly over are now covered.

Edit - I just saw there is a similar post in the General Tattoo Discussion area - go read that thread

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/5829-need-advice-next-tattoo.html

With moths, the lace background, no matter how spread out, may make it too busy. Strength and interest of design comes from the space around the image as much as it does the image. I'd say stick to just the moths, and let a good negative space, or minimal background (shading, etc.) enhance it.

Be sure to take your tattooers advice if you like their work, though. Real life beats the internet every day.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I think I posted because I wanted a lace design, but I knew it wasn't right - that should tell me something! I'm sure my tattooer will be happy to just go with 'moths' and I'm confident enough to let him go there. I have about 17 HD images of moths for him to use. I'll look into the latern moth drawings. I'm hugely attracted to Steampunk and Victoriana in general.

The birds I already have are (old) traditional swallows, so I reckon they'll end up being covered when I get the other shoulder done.