Looking for modern/neo Japanese artist that does black and grey

cloudkicker

Hey guys, I've been trying to find a black and grey artist that does modern/neo Japanese work, and it's been pretty hard finding that. Alot of Japanese tattoo artists are too traditional for my tastes, have a portfolio full of color (doesn't make sense to get a black and grey artist with a full color portfolio?), or simply live in another country. I'm from southern cali (Los Angeles area) and willing to travel, but not too far.

Some artists I found that I wish I could get work from but can't due to distance or financial reasons:

The guys at Chronik Ink (crazy wait lists and can't afford)

Instagram

Robert Pho in Las Vegas (can't afford)

Instagram

Master Mike (i can afford and in my area)

Instagram

I'm hoping maybe someone can recommend me some artists? Thanks for any help

Chris Brand does the best neo-Japanese in the L.A. area IMO

Sung Song & Julian Zeff @ Unbreakable in Studio City also do nice work

Horisuzu @ Dark Horse & Small Paul @ True Tattoo both do more traditional-style Japanese, and are excellent

There's also Onizuka Tattoo in Little Tokyo, JoJo Ackermann, Robert Atkinson -- the list goes on...

My koi sleeve was done by Kim Saigh @ Memoir. She can do anything.

Chris Brand does the best neo-Japanese in the L.A. area IMO

Sung Song & Julian Zeff @ Unbreakable in Studio City also do nice work

Horisuzu @ Dark Horse & Small Paul @ True Tattoo both do more traditional-style Japanese, and are excellent

There's also Onizuka Tattoo in Little Tokyo, JoJo Ackermann, Robert Atkinson -- the list goes on...

My koi sleeve was done by Kim Saigh @ Memoir. She can do anything.

Thanks for the recommendations, gonna check em out now!

Would love to hear others.. the more options the better

Try looking up Khuonh Ngyuen out of Daruma Tattoo in San Jose.

yes this is more of the style i was looking for, tyvm.

maybe i got the terminology wrong.. but the suggestions DJDeepFried gave are more traditional looking to me?

- - - Updated - - -

Try looking up Khuonh Ngyuen out of Daruma Tattoo in San Jose.

geezus i dont know if people are exageratting but he has a 4 yr wait list

Check out Jess Yen @ My Tattoo

ah ya forgot to mention him. he was actually my first choice, but again his rates are just too crazy for me. (trying to find $200..$250 max..)

ty for the suggestions, appreciate it very much

seems like the style i like is very hard to find and very expensive....fml

ah ya forgot to mention him. he was actually my first choice, but again his rates are just too crazy for me. (trying to find $200..$250 max..)

ty for the suggestions, appreciate it very much

seems like the style i like is very hard to find and very expensive....fml

We don't discuss price here. (Like it or not, them's the rules.)

But I will say that a) some tattooers work faster than others, so it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison and b) they don't always charge their full rate (esp. for large pieces, I think) depending on factors I can only speculate upon (whether or not the client is a pain in the ass, what mood he/she is in that day, etc.).

Having said that, you should be able to find an excellent artist in that price range, and that Jess Yen may be a bit of an outlier.

The common wisdom on here is that you pick the best artist you can find. If you can't afford the tattoo you want, don't get one or save up until you can. We're talking about something that's on your body for life. It's not wise to go bargain-hunting when it comes to certain professionals – doctors and tattooers among them.

Actually (am I talking about price too much?) you could make the argument that some of the best tattooers in the game actually undercharge given that they have very long wait lists if you go by "what the market will bear."

Bill Canales
@cloudkicker Other than the suggestions mentioned, considering your area. Robert Atkinson at Dolorosa Tattoo.

thanks you guys, will check em out after work.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't discuss price here. (Like it or not, them's the rules.)

But I will say that a) some tattooers work faster than others, so it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison and b) they don't always charge their full rate (esp. for large pieces, I think) depending on factors I can only speculate upon (whether or not the client is a pain in the ass, what mood he/she is in that day, etc.).

Having said that, you should be able to find an excellent artist in that price range, and that Jess Yen may be a bit of an outlier.

The common wisdom on here is that you pick the best artist you can find. If you can't afford the tattoo you want, don't get one or save up until you can. We're talking about something that's on your body for life. It's not wise to go bargain-hunting when it comes to certain professionals – doctors and tattooers among them.

Actually (am I talking about price too much?) you could make the argument that some of the best tattooers in the game actually undercharge given that they have very long wait lists if you go by "what the market will bear."

ya i realize that some work faster than others.. it's just hard to guesstimate a full price because unfortunately i do have a budget.. and i would like to prefer not having a half finished large piece lol.

ya it seems everyone here is set on "save up or dont get it" mentality.. but i see nothing wrong with trying to find an artist that i like that i can actually afford. i'd love to get pieces from all my favorite artists, but i simply can't afford it unfortunately.. /shrug

I hear you. Believe it not, we're not all millionaires on this board. The most famous and/or expensive artists aren't necessarily the best, and there are some lesser-known artists out there who are incredible and don't charge an arm and a leg. You just have to find 'em.

The thing is, it's not like buying a Kia in hopes of affording a Mercedes someday. (Not that there's anything wrong with buying a cheap car if it gets you there.) You're stuck with that thing for life. So you may as well save up even if it takes a year or more -- which is how long it takes to get an appointment with some of these folks anyway. And we're just talking about local artists! Think about the people who travel to get tattooed – sometimes overseas. Not all of 'em are rich, just committed.

Like my new signature says:

• 1 month later...