Boxing

MsRad

anyone box or has anyone boxed in the past? thinking about signing up to a small boxing gym out near where i live, but i thought i'd see if anyone else has done it and could give some mroe insight. obviously, i don't expect a boxing gym to be like a 24hour fitness, and i realize that boxing is not the same as yoga or track (though i imagine both of those could help perhaps? agility and cardio?).

i've tried my hand at both weight training and rugby, so i'm not afraid of contact or weights. just looking for something fun and new to get back into shape with, not looking to start a professional career or anything.

any thoughts?

Have you talked to Shalon? Pacific Ring Sports near Macarthur Bart is where she teaches and trains plus many others you would know. It may be not to near where you live but close to work and faces you'd know.

yea i know a bit about PRS, but they seemed way out of my price range and i'm not sure that i want to make an ass out of myself in front of people that i know haha.

Boxing sounds perfect as it's a great cardio workout thats structured and fun .I worked as a personal trainer for 20 years and in my opinion boxing is brilliant cause you'll pick it up fast and it's very good for hand eye co-ordination as well as a good overall body conditioner .Use it with a good strength training programme focusing on basic lifts for a regime thats hard to beat .Find a gym where you can do both ,not necessarily something like a fancy health club ,more like a gym that has old school free-weights and a boxing area .This will be way cheaper and you'll be able to do your thing without feeling conscious in front of people .Mix up your workouts so to start you're doing say 2 boxing classes and 2 weight sessions per week which you can perfectly round off with yoga to lengthen everything out.

Boxing, along with many other Martial arts are great ways to get into shape and have some fun while having a chance to release some tension from the everyday shenanigans that you may have to put up with. Just make sure that you have a good trainer or Sensei, that will train you the proper techniques.

I've been boxing for nearly two years now - although I'm crap at it because I like beer and eating too much which means I'm kinda a fatty lol - and I HATE being hit on the nose!

It's a great workout though and good fun. Pad work is exhausting, I would definitely suggest doing pad work. I try to do 6 (3) minute rounds if I can, sometimes I'm too tired. Sparring is twice as exhausting as pad work - 3 minutes seems like an hour. I think I could get better at it but I lack the self discipline and I'm too old lol.

Man, whenever I'm able to move into a house or an apartment big enough, a heavy bag will definitely be installed.

Mine is only a 65Lbs bag but it has an anchor for the ground as well so it reacts like an actual moving target it's neat! Push it hard with a kick or punch and it comes right back at you. Also if you are worried about installation of a heavy bag I do know that they make a free standing support for them on a tube frame (I saw one at Costco yesterday while I was food shopping) it also had a speed bag on it too. Just a thought. I am lucky that my basement is unfinished so I had no problem mounting it to the floor joists.

i am looking to start a cardio martial arts class in my neighborhood. my son is going to start private lessons with a friend and his mom is going to do the training also...though i am a little scared to train with her because she was a professional mma fighter and i am sure she could kick anyone's ass...

i did look into boxing and krav maga.

though i am a little scared to train with her because she was a professional mma fighter and i am sure she could kick anyone's ass.

Tammy, if she was into MMA professionally, Yes she would be able to harm people and they teach you that but that's not the point of Martial arts. You would learn the basics first so you don't get hurt. If you were to spar with her she would already know how to restrain her strength for keeping form and technique optimal. Sparing is a way to learn how to apply things you have learned in a controlled environment till it becomes second nature. So that when it arises in an uncontrolled environment you can take control of the situation.

If your looking at a cardio martial arts class I don't think of it as a martial arts self defense/combat training class. I think of a Billy Blanks work out video. Yes he uses some punches and kicks but learning how to apply it in an uncontrolled situation or learn the respect for the Martial art that you would be learning I don't think apply.

Both of these would be a great work out though if you wanted to get into shape and have some fun doing it.

wow, thanks for all of the responses! i'm still trying to figure out all the logistics as i may be moving back to Oakland soon (keep your fingers crossed), so i'm waiting to see what happens before signing a contract with a gym. Loch had a great recommendation for a local gym, but does anyone else from the area have one? i figure the more places i learn about, the more options i have.

Tammy, let us know how it goes! i'd love to hear your perspective on it.