Artist Inquiry: Covering or redoing other artists work

unlikeyourown

This has become an interesting topic to me recently as i was involved in a situation where this was a bit of a controversy. (I recently had to get a piece redone)

I have heard some shops do not redo other artists pieces ever, i know some artists that wont touch other certain artists pieces to not cause conflict of interest.

What is your take as an artist on redoing/reworking/completely covering up other artists work?

I feel like if the original artist didnt do it right the first time then they have no right to be upset if the client looks elsewhere for a better go.

You own the piece, not the artist, so do what you like, You may have a hard time finding an artist that wants to deal with it for various reasons, however, For you its something you walk around with for life, for the artist, much less of a commitment and another day on the job. Oh well, they can't all be winners.

You may have a hard time finding an artist that wants to deal with it for various reasons

Very true. I got a souvenir tattoo from an artist who is arguably one of the most famous to ever push ink into skin. Unfortunately, it had more holidays than a British banker and is in a very noticeable area. I wanted to get it fixed, but I had a helluva time finding anyone willing to touch up his work. Some artists seemed willing--until I told them who did it. I finally asked a very nice artist with whom I'm on very friendly terms, and he touched it up with no hesitation.

Sorry--I just realized that you were asking artists this question, and I'm just a customer.

I agree.

It is the decision of the person wearing the tattoo.

When i've worked at a shop with many tattooers, often it was the policy that the person that started the tattoo finished it. Also, unless the tattoo was obviously flawed ( and even then sometimes) it puts both tattooists in an uncomfortable position to work or cover a coworker's work.

If someone has work from a tattooer that I don"t work with ,and they want it covered or reworked- I think most tattooers don't have a problem with that. That's what keeps a lot of us in business.

I recently had a girl with a short sleeve done by a tattooer in a different state want me to continue it to her lower arm---it was difficult for me to match the work to the other tattooist's work---- style, color palette etc.

If the tattooist had been a friend of mine or even an acquaintance i would have called and asked specifics about pigments etc. that would have helped with the piece.

The flipside to this.

One of my clients went to a horrible shop in town, not wanting to wait for her appt with me.

I did a beautiful 3/4 sleeve on her that i had posted on my website and in my portfolio.

Someone brought to my attention that this piece was now posted on this horrible shop's website. The tattooer had recolored the tattoo and added hideous background color to it and had the caption under it saying that the client got the tattoo elsewhere and wasn't satisfied and he reworked it to their satisfaction!

First i emailed the client. I said how disappointed i was that she hadnt come to me with her concerns and that i or my husband would have worked with her etc etc.

Well she wrote back apologizing, saying that he added a little something and then before she knew it it looked horrible and now she was considering having the piece lasered off.

She came back to my shop-- but there's not a lot that can be done. My husband tried to fix it--- but it doesn't look as nice as it did--- and i still have the original posted on my web site.

I did however, call the other shop and tell him to get my work off of his website.Which he did. A little off subject, I know.

I did have my forearm done by a very "famous" tattooist and hated it. My husband covered it for me and at the last State of Grace- Trevor McStay covered a piece on my chest and wasn't concerned with who did what he was covering.

the only stuff i won't touch is classic history stuff i guess... had a guy come in that had an eagle from tuttle.. so no. some guys with some hardy, aitchison.. it sounds odd but if it's a guy or girl that i looked to coming up then no way. that's just my personal conviction thing.. if they can't get a hold of the previous tattooer at all or refuse to go with them again, that's when i do it..

first and to me most important, is if i believe i can make the tattoo look better. some things are just too screwed up to be fixed.

its my name that will be on the piece from there on, so i got to feel i can make it look better and make the client happy.

I literally have made a name for myself covering up bad tattoos. It seems there are so many scratchers out there that I rarely come across a piece done by a " professional " that needs to be fixed. I have however finished a clients arm who flew out of state to have a big name artist work on him. It was his second appointment, and when he got there he was told the artist was in Hawaii. No phone call, no apology, just rock star bull shit. I figured if he was too cool to bother with someone specifically seeking him out, it wouldn't matter if I finished it.

• 4 weeks later...

i had a tattoo re-colored by a different artist.

an anchor on my hip that the color didnt take very well. also the shading was pretty fucky. it had been 2 years since i got the original and never went back to that tattoo artist, he had a bad attitude and i didnt really enjoy the vibe at the shop.

i had moved on to a much more talented artist and he has done all my work since meeting him. turns out my new and old artist apprenticed at the same shop and once. so once i showed travis (my current tattoo artist) my shitty hip piece he said he would be willing to redo the color, though he normally doesnt touch other artists work.