Removing dry skin?

clemsonscj

It's been about 2 weeks since I got my outline and there's still a little bit of dry/peeling skin. My artist says you can't fill in until that's all gone cause it will get infected. I can tell it's pretty much done peeling, it's just the layer of skin that's there is taking forever to peel off. Is there any recommended way to "exfoliate" that area to remove that skin or is it best to just let it go on its own?

I peel really slowly too - just have to wait it out I'm afraid. I have very dry skin that doesn't shed well, I'm kind of used to it being annoying. But, yeah, I find exfoliating and moisturizing really well before starting a tattoo speed things up a reasonable amount but that's no use to you now, worth trying next time though.

Let it go and be patient...your skin will thank you. The dry skin as you call it is protecting the new healing skin underneath. Look at new designs for your next piece while you wait.

I wish I could. By the time I pay to have this thing filled in, there won't be a next piece. Not for a LONG while at least.

I'm with you on the funding piece...I'm working on a sleeve that is going on 16 hrs and climbing. Nevertheless, you should try to be patient. You don't want to mess with your piece. You haven't said what your working on but I'm sure it's pretty cool and expensive.

Well it's not peeling anymore, but the skin still being raised? This is my first tattoo ever so I have no idea what the after effects usually are. But if you run your finger over it, you can still feel some of the lines a bit. Does that mean it needs to continue healing or am I good to go now? (And here's a fee pics of the outline so you can see what it's gonna look like)

post-51103-146168871811_thumb.jpg

post-51103-146168871817_thumb.jpg

Well it's not peeling anymore, but the skin still being raised? This is my first tattoo ever so I have no idea what the after effects usually are. But if you run your finger over it, you can still feel some of the lines a bit. Does that mean it needs to continue healing or am I good to go now? (And here's a fee pics of the outline so you can see what it's gonna look like)

[ATTACH]11290[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11291[/ATTACH]

Raised skin is pretty typical...you should use a lotion like Eucerin lightweight daily replenishing for few weeks. From your description, your skin is probably ready to go. You should however defer to your artist. He/she may decide to wait to let you skin fully heal before it gets assaulted again.

Nice piece by the way - make sure you post up after getting some color.

Raised skin is pretty typical...you should use a lotion like Eucerin lightweight daily replenishing for few weeks. From your description, your skin is probably ready to go. You should however defer to your artist. He/she may decide to wait to let you skin fully heal before it gets assaulted again.

Nice piece by the way - make sure you post up after getting some color.

I went and talked to him yesterday. He said we'd start filling it in Friday and he'd go as long as I could stand it.

I went and talked to him yesterday. He said we'd start filling it in Friday and he'd go as long as I could stand it.

Awesome - You'll be fine - you have a memory of pain already and will be able to bear it. I'm going back on 10/4 to have more work on my sleeve. My guy is a real stickler about time in between sessions. He works the heck out of the skin so I guess it's ok in the long run. I like you have a hard time waiting. Keep us posted, man, I can't wait to see more detailed work.

Awesome - You'll be fine - you have a memory of pain already and will be able to bear it. I'm going back on 10/4 to have more work on my sleeve. My guy is a real stickler about time in between sessions. He works the heck out of the skin so I guess it's ok in the long run. I like you have a hard time waiting. Keep us posted, man, I can't wait to see more detailed work.

post-51103-146168871926_thumb.jpg

If you just got the tattoo, the "oily/slippery" could be the dried plasma on the skin. Gently rub that with your fingers until it goes away and you feel the raw (generally raised/abused) skin. You only get a couple showers do to that and get it all off. IMHO, not making sure all the blood/plasma is removed the first day or so leads to more scabbing, although you can't prevent scabbing all together.