Ive got one very much like that. It was given to me @20 yrs ago....the glass is cracked,I cant get myself to break the seal on the back to fix it.. What's ROA mean?.

There's a beautiful ROA painting in Tattoo City. I attached a mediocre picture of it, but that's probably best anyways. Go see it in person!

In the original Hymn, the "Rock of Ages, cleft for me" referred to a crevice cleft *into* a wall of rock that the hym's writer is said to have used as shelter from a storm. It's apparently unclear when it switched to a protruding rock in a stormy sea...or at least that's what I read in a tiny bound book on the history of the Rock of Ages.

My boss/mentor collects RoA paintings. When I apprenticed, I would watch over his shoulder in a dim room with most of the light in the room centered on the tattoo, surrounded by antique RoA prints of all kinds.Some with one woman, some with two -- one helping the other and some, fewer, with one woman safe and the stiff hand of a drowned person reaching up from the water.

@Dude: Yeah, that's probably the one I'll get tattooed on me. Both for its symbolism and it's being so central to my early tattoo experience, I can't not get a Rock of Ages and I think the darker and more somber, the better. Despite its lighter iterations, it's a pretty weighty image.

I remember seeing that design as a very small child, maybe 1969 or 1970 when I was about 3 or 4 years old.

My great grandmother had this huge wind-up clock on her wall with a glass front that had the ROA hand painted on it. The cross had an unpainted circle left out of the center so that when the pendulum swung back and forth you could see it move side to side.

That clock both fascinated and scared the shit out of me, but I couldn't stop staring at. It was scary, dramatic, sad, and powerful, and I've never, ever forgotten it.

I stumbled onto the Bert Grimm version of it a while back and it was like "There it is, this is what I want as my back piece".

It's like karma just worked. Everything is clicking. The money to do it, the artist wants to do it, the time for it, and the girlfriend is on-board to help with the aftercare.

I plan starting that back piece next month, and I'm so stoked!