john_leijtens_cleansolid_thumb.jpg

Just finished the first sitting of my Rock of Ages, backpiece.

It is done by Robert Aalbers at his shop Clean Solid Tattoo in Waalwijk, The Netherlands (the Land of the Dutch).

All the lining is done, can't wait to get some color in.

I love the water in that.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
holy shit. can you imagine a back piece of this?! thanks for sharing this is so fucking rad

Yes, I can imagine that... in fact, I have this very one! I found the original design (of course, doh!) on the Internet. Turns-out that the person running the website had apprenticed with Tattoo Ted Nelson (who gave me my first tattoo on my 21st birthday, back in late-January 1972, in Fairfield, IA), and Ted had apprenticed with Bert Grimm. Small world. Anyway, this piece was inked on me by "Painless Jimmy" Hankins (yet another "old timer"), at Louie Lombi's Tattoo Paradise, in 2005/6. I'm pleased with it. Jimmy's still slingin' ink here in South Florida, but Louie Lombi retired and gave the shop to his long-time apprentice and worker, Clark O'Dell... it's now called Tattoo Paradise of West Palm Beach.

RockOfAges-1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this with a possibly silly opinion question for you all--what do you like to see in a Rock of Ages? Are water, background, some sort of border essential for you? Recently Chris Marchetto posted a couple stripped-down takes on his Instagram feed that are beautiful to me and suddenly make me really really want this design somewhere on my body, BUT I also really like looking at beautifully-drawn water and ornate borders and things like that.

I did get to briefly look at the RoA book for inspiration but unfortunately don't own it.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, water is a crucial part of it. I'm being patient with the ROA I would want, though I've always had the idea of the water/weather/elements being a huge role.

On a side note, I was recently at a tattoo ship talking about ROA references, and the gentleman said he'd check the basement to see if the Ed Hardy ROA book was there. I was sooooooo excited and turned out it was at his house. :\

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...