Tattooing over black

OutOfIdeas

Sorry if this is already mentioned somewhere else, I feel like I originally read about it here but I couldn't find it.

@Lance if I can get this link to work correctly, this is what I was talking about. Should link to several BME articles about tattooing both white and color over solid black.

Tattooing Over Blackwork | BME: Tattoo, Piercing and Body Modification News

I guess this isn't a recent thing after all. Lucky Diamond Rich was actually one of the guys I was thinking of who was doing this, but it looks like it's actually been a few years now. Time sure flies.

A series of recent IG posts just reminded me of it again. I didn't even think it was possible. A few years back I remember someone saying his mind was blown the first time he saw Pinky Yun use white over black. Then laughter ensued when others wondered what kind of crazy ingredients were used to make it possible. This just makes me think, "WTF!!!, crazy!". It's interesting but I'm hoping I will never have to entertain the idea of doing this. But based on the article, it seems rather than a straight cover up, one could decide to black out their arm, then cover it with a new design and not have to deal with complications of figuring out what could work. It's the anti-laser. Crazy man. Real crazy.

Thanks for posting @OutOfIdeas!

• 1 month later...

1.25.12_thumb.jpg

The peony on my left arm was done over a very dark older tattoo with a lot of black in it. This was done in 2011 and the white and blue have held up well since then. I'll have the white touched up on a future appointment. I would have never guessed it was possible and was entertaining a chemical peel or having it lasered off.

I have seen it to, it was amazing. One girl got coverup on her leg what was first a picture, then she colored it all over with black and later she got roses or something on it. Was amazing, it can be done only with some right dyes as i did read. Artist did not reveal hes secrets and name or producer of those dyes.

• 10 months later...

This is exactly what I've been looking for. I have a cover up that was done and it is really really dark. It's on my ankle and looks like a big black sock. I understand that the cover up has to be darker in the places that it's covering because, well, it's covering up black outlines. However, the artist made the whole thing pretty dark even in places that was new ink. I'm pretty unhappy with what it looks like now. Is this too good to be true? Does the tattoo look great at first and then darkens over time? I'd love to hear any input on this!

I was just curious what it looked like and if it's something similar to what I can do to fix a piece of mine that is too dark. I asked the artist that originally did my tattoo what we could do to lighten it up a bit and he said there wasn't much he could do because of it's blue and black colors. Then I read that white will just eventually blend into the black making it darker with time. Then I read that it takes a certain technique, or type of ink and now I'm just all confused lol.

This whole thread makes me feel like this is doable. I just want some white designs put into a dark purple tattoo to give it some depth I currently have and everyone outside of this thread's responses makes me feel like it's just absurd! I keep getting responses to go get laser and start over (this is already a cover up) or just leave it. How do I find someone to do this? Any suggestions for anyone in the bay area of CA? @Ain Hallap you said it took certain dyes? Do you remember where you read that?

hey @kvaz... i think you have at least three other threads for this same issue.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/6905-can-you-add-white-already-exsisting-purple-black-tattoo-lighten-parts.html#post120159

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/6904-looking-artist-who-can-tattoo-over-black-blue-purple.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/initiation/6896-looking-tattoo-help.html#post120137

be patient, listen to the advice that is given, and the answers will present themselves.

my advice... Fremont is not part of the Bay Area tattoo mecca. look into the list of shops given in one of the other three threads. take a deep breath. it'll be all good!

oh... and try to keep the same topic to one thread. ;)

I have reached out to a bunch of tattoo parlors, many not getting back with me yet and then I get very conflicting opinions. In the same day I had one shop tell me that it is definitely possible but the artist only works on new pieces and the other shop tell me that this is not possible and I should go get laser first. Does anyone have any recommendations in CA for someone who will add color to an already dark tattoo?

• 1 month later...
Thats what I'm wondering as well. The oldest one I found was a couple years old and still looked ok, but im guessing 10, 20, 30 years in it may start to fade to black as the color fades. Then its just time for a new layer! Its like a tattoo dry erase board!!

haha. very true. I am sure thats what will happen. But even after a couple years of it going strong, you may be good.

• 4 years later...

I had a large tattoo covered up on my back with black ink to look like outer space.An outline of a skull and stars was applied in white ink over that.The white ink keeps fading out.Any other ink colors out there that will stand out over black ink that won't fade out?

• 3 months later...