Mom/Son tattoo help

PackMan

Help me!

My wife is wanting to get the attached or something similar on her rib area. I know that it doesnt matter what i think but i dont like the idea.

Ive been searching our galleries here but i just keep finding Mom heart images. Does anybody have any other ideas as a representation of a Mom and her son or sons?

thanks,

If she is satisfied with getting the same tattoo as someone else from a Google Image search, then I think the solution is tattoo education. Have you recommended that she sign up and browse this site?

i agree and i will see what i can do tonight. Im really liking the sparrow and banner idea.

I never understand why people go for something generic and impersonal for something as close as a parent/child bond... or for that matter, getting cancer/whatever ribbons to symbolize someone...

What do your wife and son have as a common interest? Did he play some instrument in school that she's supportive of? If he enjoys painting or drawing, a tattoo of a paintbrush/palette or a few pencils with his name? Or if he's still too young for all of that, how about something based on his favorite toy... Tonka truck, a GI Joe, teddy bear, etc. etc. etc.

As for memorial ribbons, I get it... but why always only be reminded that Grandpa died from cancer, not that he absolutely loved fly fishing? Or Chicago sports teams? Or whatever he happened to enjoy most? Something I always try to suggest to someone getting a memorial, and they always just get the name/date/ribbon/cross... which is perfectly fine. But, is the same memorial that everyone gets. Get a tattoo of Grandpa's favorite lure WITH the cancer ribbon. At least balance the negativity and sad memories with positivity and good memories.

With design in mind, Google/Pinterest/etc. are highly, highly impersonal and breed only generic ideas that occasionally start from something great, but in the end never give you something that actually means anything. I have put that mother/daughter idea (or a slight variation thereof) on around 15 or 20 people, and I've only been tattooing just over 2 years. I can't remember a time I did something based on what their kid has actually done in their life...

@smiling.politely i tend to agree with most of what you posted. I lost my mother to a 10 year battle with cancer and i had thought about getting a cancer ribbon. Instead i spent some time thinking about it and ended up with a tattoo including many of her favorite things (flowers, colors, a dragon, etc).

As far as getting something like baseball bats or toys; i dont think that would fly. Mainly because they are 9 and 5 and could change so much. My 9 year old plays baseball, but he may change and become a musician etc over the next 8 to 9 years and the baseball bat or glove wouldn't fit.

Im digging the flower idea that was posted above, just got to work it out and think of how to use it.

There's the 'birth flower' thing too, here, for example. No idea which flowers you'd come out with, or she could just ask the children to choose a flower or two each. Anyway, the old elegant-hand-holding-up-a-bunch-of-flowers thing can look great. Adding a heart / names / whatever tattoos to the tattooed hand can work really well too.