Hi everyone! Also could use some ideas for a design!

seth

Hi, my name is Hélder and I'm a portuguese 23 year old guy.

This forum looked like a nice place with lots of good ideas so here I am.

I'm looking to design the tattoo around a quote. It comes from this poem and is as follows:

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

007 fans might recognize the poem from the Skyfall movie. To me it symbolizes more or so a way of life. To look at things positively, to always try to strive, to never give up. This in particular will be used to commemorate the achievement of a long goal that I have (weight loss).

I already have a wrist text tattoo and I'm looking to do something more than just the words in this one. I would like ideas for an image and maybe include the letters somewhat in the image or around it.

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of this?

Thanks!

Yeah, I guess I got myself into that, didn't I? :P

Even though I like the panther idea (I'm browsing images right now) I was kind of looking for something sport or fitness related. It was a nice change in lifestyle for me and I would like something related to that. Also, I kind of like the quote so much that I might just end up trying to mix it in the image.

Hi, my name is Hélder and I'm a portuguese 23 year old guy.

This forum looked like a nice place with lots of good ideas so here I am.

I'm looking to design the tattoo around a quote. It comes from this poem and is as follows:

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of this?

Big ass koi swimming upstream.

Lol, ya did good.

What kind of sports are you thinking of? Did you do a sport to lose weight? Could be related to that. Like the winged runner's foot, whatever that thing is called.

It has been mainly through cycling and crossfit but it's still something in progress.

Big ass koi swimming upstream.

Well, I did a little research on kois and they do seem like the perfect symbolism. Perseverance, overcoming change, etc. I'm not sure though how I feel about most of the koi tattoos that I see because they look (to me) too complex. You need to really look carefully to the drawing to even see what's going on.

Anyone knows some "minimalistic", more simple koi tattoos? A little like this?

Screen%20Shot%202014-09-16%20at%2011.42.34.png

Furthermore, what do you think of somehow incorporating the quote in the piece?

Water color / trash polka tattoos likely won't stand the test of time - the tattoo will be less recognizable if there isn't enough black. At least that's what LST has beaten into me :-) But solid outlines make sense. The tattoo you posted is kind of interesting but it's not easily recognizable as koi IMO.

Haha I searched LST for Koi upstream/downstrean/color meaning and it turns out I did this once before.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/15-latest-tattoo-lowdown-page609.html#post95503

I like that this tattoo is signed because it keeps with the culture/language. Perhaps add the quote in Japanese script? Crazy thought. I think script in English would look bizarre around a koi. You could do a Japanese-inspired sleeve with the koi swimming up/down and add a band at the bottom/wrist area and incorporate lettering in there. It would be in the tattoo but not as in-your-face. I can't find a picture of what I'm talking about but I'm sure someone here can chime in.

007 fans might recognize the poem from the Skyfall movie. To me it symbolizes more or so a way of life. To look at things positively, to always try to strive, to never give up.

You know the character is quoting the last lines from Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson, right? So, yeah, you might well get the inspiration you need from reading the book.

(Here's the full last stanza)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

This would bum me out and is why I personally would stay away from inspirational quotes.

To strive to seek to find and not to yield #4348 - Behappy.me

I'm not sure I understood. What exactly would bum you out?

You know the character is quoting the last lines from Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson, right? (Here's the full last stanza) So, yeah, you might well get the inspiration you need from reading the book.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

Yeah, I know. I even linked the poem in the first post (kind of hidden I realize now) :P

Yeah, I did see that you'd linked, my post was badly worded - pressed post too soon so edited right away.

Trying to ask if you've read the full thing, basically.

- - - Updated - - -

Because surely that would solve the lack of image problem? The whole thing is packed full of really strong imagery that you could easily use to remind yourself of the line you like so much. The whole 3 suns and gray spirit yearning in desire thing is quite a strong image, for a start. The there's the ship stuff with loads of fantastic imagery going on.

I'm not sure I understood. What exactly would bum you out?

Yeah, I know. I even linked the poem in the first post (kind of hidden I realize now) :P

Oh, it would just bum me out that anyone could print out posters and shirts of my tattoo as inspiration for their event and/or business. It's like the Stay Calm stuff...to me. I've also worked in a corporate environment for nearly 20 years now and the inspirational posters that hang in the break areas are anything but... just my opinion from my personal experiences with inspirational quotes.

I would get a big ass eagle across my chest or a panther with a kettle bell (nod to the crossfit stuff) hanging from its mouth. Good luck with the weight loss man...