Have questions about laser tattoo removal, ask in this thread

Mike Panic

5 hours ago, glow-on said:

Thanks for your input! Since I'm considering a cover-up, I will have to do at least a few laser sessions anyways, so I'll definitely need to do a lot more research. The place I considered originally has a PicoWay. I'd be open to hearing opinions on different lasers. Mine is mostly shading with very light line work - artist specifically said she was using very light touch and there was such little pain I felt like I could have taken a nap. I'm hoping that might help reduce the number of sessions needed to fade. I have another tattoo with heavier line work, and that one felt like a razorblade slicing through the skin the whole time. After 10 years it looks very much the same. I'd say the line work on that one is at least twice as thick. Never regretted that one, always loved it, but then again it has a lot of significance as my late mother had a matching one.

It's interesting but not surprising to hear that you had a different response to the laser on different body parts. I wonder if it's just increased circulation in different areas, or if it's more complicated than that? 

Of course I would love to be one of the very lucky few who do get almost complete removal (keyword almost), but my expectations have thankfully been lowered. I at one point strongly considered a chest piece but decided against it. I wouldn't be broken hearted to end up with them, after all I like them enough to have considered it for years, but since I ultimately decided against it, I'd obviously slightly prefer to not. It's anyone's guess why I went with that positioning this time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've had cover ups done over certain tattoos, depending on the experience of the artist, the colours covering, the tattoo underneath etc maybe a cover up can be done without laser, my whole arm was covered up with purple, pink and blue flowers over scarred black thick tattoos but that's something to talk to your artist about as they, ideally, won't attempt something they don't think is possible, depending on the tattoo and what you want it covering with will depend on if laser is necessary or not

If you have scarring and have laser, you will be left with the scar still, laser can't remove scars unfortunately but if it's done right and your skin wasn't damaged underneath, changes to the skin would be very minimal, I had one of my face tattoos removed recently and you can't tell it was there at all, not even the slightest bit of pigment change to my skin 

After doing alot of my own research I was able to see the fads and facts of laser, alot of places will just want to get your money regardless of the outcome

The way I see it is sometimes the idea in your head doesn't come out in real life, I had an idea with my throat and I even had it all drawn up on me to make sure it looked right and once it was done I hated it, even months later, some tattoos I've just got bored of, I've wanted something else in their place or I've just simply had it done and been like oh shit 😂 I had 5 face tattoos I loved until I got another then had to remove 2 of my old ones because it didn't look right anymore, whatever you decide I'm sure you'll decide what's right for you, whether that's a cover up, laser or you may warm to the tattoo eventually but you definitely learn a lesson once you experience laser removal, it isn't the nicest of experiences, I get nervous everytime I book a new tattoo now to make sure I'm never going through laser again, it's painful & bank draining 😂

I've been having laser a long time in all different places and had different kinds and remember also, everyone's system and skin is different! The laser does some of the work but your body does most of it after